The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 13, 2009, 02:47 PM   #1
faraz_k86

Which gun is this?

Hello,

I possess an army and navy sidelock 12 bore shotgun. The serial number of the gun is 25182 (which may have been tampered with). The gun locks by using the top lever. In the issue of shooting gazette of January 94, Geoffrey Boothroyd has written that the top lever locking was the patent of Holland and Holland. The gun is still in good working order and I occasionally use it for upland and snipe shoot. My gun resembles the gun of 1890, the photograph of which is given in the above mentioned issue.

From this may I presume that the gun which I possess was also made by Holland and Holland?

A reply would be highly appreciated.

Thank you

Old January 13, 2009, 11:45 PM   #2
Mausberg

wheres the barrel?
Old January 14, 2009, 12:30 AM   #3
troy_mclure

a side by side! duh!
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 15, 2009, 07:46 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

W and C Scott, later merged into Webley and Scott, were a Birmingham maker who supplied guns to a large part of the British gun industry. These were usually boxlocks instead of the more costly sidelocks.

This appears to be a sidelock. Likely a midgrade made for officers posting to all areas of the Empire in those days.

Army and Navy supplied all sorts of things to Brit officers, including guns and rifles. Some times combo guns with shallow rifling in one barrel near the muzzle were done. You should check yours.

The pin arrangement resembles that of WW Greener, but Greener safeties were usually a side mount.

This appears to be a quality shotgun and if a smith OKs it, should be suitable for shooting with 2 1/2" ammo. Ought to handle well.

Sorry, can't help you nail it down tighter.