The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 20, 2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Oldbuck30

Need some ideas

Just started using a new powder for my 9mmm loads. Loaded 15 rounds to shoot and determine what they were like. Recipe was 124 gr WW FMJ RN, CCI 500 primers, Powder was AA7 my data lists 6.2 to 7.9 as max. Started out at 6.2 measured each of the 15 rounds so I knew exactly where I would be, cases were fired twice before by me, Federal cases. Primers were seated firmly and deep, but out of the 15 rounds had 2 squibs. Squibs scare me next round can be really bad as u know. Luckily I heard both and stopped and cleared barrel with a small mallet and a brass rod. My question is why, I individually loaded and inspected all 15 powder charges. Hand seat primers so I can feel when bottom hits. Use Redding T7 turret so can see and check each step. What else could cause this , shooting in SW 5906 9mm, 4 inch barrel. HELP
Old December 20, 2013, 03:56 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If they had powder in them and they squibbed, you'd have a barrel full of powder. It's quite literally impossible for the powder to burn and not push the bullet.

If there was no powder in the barrel/action when you ejected the case, there was no powder before you pulled the trigger.

You either had no powder or so little as to be irrelevant. A primer by itself will push the bullet pretty well into the barrel, especially with a case as small as 9mm.
Old December 20, 2013, 04:21 PM   #3
higgite

Plugged flash holes? Did you tumble the brass before reloading? What media?
Old December 20, 2013, 04:44 PM   #4
Oldbuck30

Brian that was

my first thought but did find powder in magazine when I dropped it right away. I quess I need to check 3 times instead of twice just so I can eliminate the possibility.[/I]
Old December 20, 2013, 04:46 PM   #5
Oldbuck30

Flash holes

Tumbled with fine walnut, cleaned every flash hole with flash debure tool always do. Fine walnut doesn not stick in flash holes
Old December 20, 2013, 05:23 PM   #6
WESHOOT2

crimp does NOT secure a bullet

Suggest a start weight of 6.5g.

Ensure case neck tension on the bullet; push an assembled rd bullet-first into an immoveable object.
Rd shorten?
Need more neck tension.

Fully size all handgun cases new or used.
Old December 20, 2013, 06:34 PM   #7
BigJimP

Check your scale again some test weights / or a 2nd scale... ( but it sure sounds to me like you have very little, if any, powder in those cases.

Check the recipe with a 2nd or 3rd source as well...make sure its consistent in more than one source.

I'd probably suggest you start at the mid point of the range between published minimum and maximum. Make sure you're using the right bullet for the published recipe. Case gague the finished rounds...make sure they're crimped properly.
Old December 20, 2013, 10:44 PM   #8
Oldbuck30

Always use a wilson

case gauge and a plunk test for ammo loaded for SA pistols. It must be I messed up either with too lite a load or no load only answer I can come up with. Thanks for all the help and everyone have a Merry Christmas.

PS. Thank God for people like Phil Robertson, he is one of those Bible clutching, gun toting persons that scare the Marxist in the white house as I am also
Old December 22, 2013, 11:19 AM   #9
SL1

You did not mention how the other 13 rounds worked. If they apeared weak in the way they ejected the fired brass, then you prob ably just have too low a charge weight. If you are on the edge of stable burning pressure, it is not uncommon to have a few squibs and other rounds seem weak. Try working-up the charge.

SL1