The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 19, 2013, 07:34 PM   #1
pathdoc

Lee Collet Neck sizer and dead length bullet seater

Okay, so I finally got around to playing around with these in .303 British just yesterday, and a couple of things came to mind I thought I should ask.

1) Given that I am squeezing against a mandrel of a set size, is it actually possible to overdo things? I am using an RCBS Partner press, and although it seems not to have much in the way of cam-over, I decided to play things safe and have followed the Lee instructions to back the thing out two full turns from touching the shell holder. First case went fine, so I did one more, and another, and before you know it I'd done the whole box. None of them will, after resizing, admit** a .3105" Hornady FMJBT, a .311" Sierra 125gn SP, or a .312" Woodleigh 215gn RN, which is (as I'm understanding it) as things should be.

They did, however, admit a stray that leaked into a box of stuff I bought, which turned out to mike a diameter of 0.309".

About the only way I can conceivably think I might screw things up is to pull down so hard on the lever that I bind the collet. As things stand, there's a tiny, tiny bit of flex in the press mounting when I've got the ram at the top of the stroke, and I don't think I want to push harder than that. The thing seems to work great, if I take the attitude that I'm going to pull the lever as hard as feels comfortable every time and know that the mandrel will stop me from making the necks too narrow. Certainly better and faster than hammering the little blighters into the whackamole - as nice as neck sizing seems to be vis a vis results on target, it's good to be able to do it on the press.

2) With regard to the bullet seater, I followed instructions for that to the letter too, then I threw a 215gn Woodleigh on top of a full length resized (empty, unprimed) case I had lying around, backed the seating stem as far out as I dared (lots of thread showing and almost wobbly) and pushed it home. I ended up with OAL of 2.990", which is a fair way away from the 3.075" which Woodleigh advised me to use.

This seems odd - you'd think there'd be more "play" in the system than that, especially given that it's not just the Woodleighs which demand full British Empire milspec OAL. What am I missing here? Or should I just back the die out a bit to give myself some wriggle room?

** = by which I mean, the bullet doesn't pass freely down the case mouth, is an EXTREMELY tight press-fit into the case at least, and generally feels like the instructions say it should feel like.
Old December 19, 2013, 08:16 PM   #2
marine6680

Back the bullet seater out some.

As far as the crimp die... You shouldn't be able to bind it up. Look into the top as you are raising the ram and watch the collet squeeze together, you can use that to help gauge how much crimp you want. Set the lock ring and you are set.

I set mine for a slight crimp.
Old December 19, 2013, 08:32 PM   #3
pathdoc

Crimp? There isn't one. This isn't the crimp die - it's the neck sizer, and you can't see the collet do its work.
Old December 19, 2013, 08:33 PM   #4
flashhole

Three comments on use of your Lee Collet Neck Die
1) polish the internal parts
2) you will know you are putting too much pressure on the brass when you see vertical lines on the case neck from the flutes
3) if you start getting spring back the brass is work hardened, anneal it

Is the engagement cup on the seating stem a cup with a recess or a flat surface? If flat, you might consider one that is cupped that engages the bullet on the ogive and not the tip. This will give a bit more overall length and help reduce runout.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old December 19, 2013, 08:38 PM   #5
marine6680

Sorry... I have been working very long hours lately... 12+hrs for over a month now... Neck sizer, I have no idea about.

Also to clarify my response to the bullet seater... back the whole die out a little. I haven't have any issues with my seater die. Recheck your setup.
Old December 19, 2013, 11:52 PM   #6
mattL46

Pathdoc Exactly what flash said. I was wondering the same thing you were a while ago and put a lot of pressure on the ram to see what would happen. Vertical lines from the collet fingers. That's too much. Ha.
Old December 19, 2013, 11:58 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Be very careful putting that much pressure on the die. It's a steel body with a threaded aluminium cap. The cap is designed as a break away. The aluminium threads will sheer to prevent damage to the rest of the die or press. Lee says 25 pounds on the press handle, max.
Old December 20, 2013, 06:27 AM   #8
steve4102

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathdoc
I decided to play things safe and have followed the Lee instructions to back the thing out two full turns from touching the shell holder.
This is Wrong and not how to set up your Lee Collet die.

You do not back the die out two turns, you screw it INTO the press two turns.

From Lee.

Other brands of presses that toggle or snap over
center at the end of the stroke provide no feel and can
damage the collet neck sizing die if adjusted as above. We
suggest the die be screwed in until the die contacts the
shell holder, plus 2 FULL TURNS This will prevent
the press from toggling over center and give the operator
feel of the collet closing.

Link.

http://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/RM3512.pdf
Old December 20, 2013, 06:47 PM   #9
pathdoc

Sorry, mis-spoke. It was 24 hours later when I wrote the post. Whatever it said to do, rest assured, I did.