The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 12, 2012, 12:35 AM   #1
Nitesites

Aimpoint Magnifier

Anyone running one of these? Been thinking about getting one with the Samson Flip to go with my M4S on my M6. There are none in stock in any of the LGSs in my area so I have no way to see one in person. First hand accounts appreciated.
Old January 12, 2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Technosavant

I have one. It sits on a rifle with a Comp M4 (not the S like yours) in a LaRue flip to side mount (I also highly recommend the LaRue mount).

It works great, is very clear, and while it isn't cheap at all, it is definitely high quality. It doesn't make the Aimpoint the equal of a good telescopic sight or ACOG, but it can help you use it not only as a fantastic CQB optic but also something that's capable of decent precision at longer ranges. Still not quite what I'd choose for under-MOA precision, but for minute of bad guy or for hunting, it is quite good.
Old January 12, 2012, 03:25 PM   #3
Nitesites

Thanks. About that LaRue mount...How does it operate? I've read you must pull the magnifier back. Is it spring-loaded? Will it flip-to-side under tension?
Old January 12, 2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Technosavant

There's a spring that pushes the ring mount forward. You pull back against that spring (it's maybe an eighth of an inch or so... not far at all) and flip it 90 degrees. It's very stable and very easy to operate. They have a combo with the mount that keeps it all reasonably priced.

It's also a QD mount, so if it's in the way, you can pull it all the way off (you can get it without the QD, but it doesn't save too much).
Old January 14, 2012, 06:26 PM   #5
Nitesites

Went running around town looking for an in stock magnifier hoping today was the day but no luck. Guess I'll have to order. Used my google-fu and they show selling at around $500. If anyone can give me a heads up on a deal from a reputable dealer (personal experience, good feedback, etc.) how about letting me know.

Also need the Samson Quick-Flip mount (made up my mind).

Thanks