The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old August 18, 2007, 11:07 PM   #51
SpookBoy

a few years back when i was into really large handguns I was watching a man shoot a 50ae D-eagle ,Well i got a little too curious & was hit in the eyebrow with a 50 case,wich then proceded to go into my shoe
(shorts & short socks) only wear pants now,still have the brassand a nice nitch in the brow as a lesson/no complaints though.Just part of a day at the range!

"Once you familiarize yourself with the chains of bondage , You prepare your own limbs to wear them."
- Abraham Lincoln
Old April 4, 2008, 08:12 AM   #52
jwfuhrman

I remember when I shot for my High Schools Senior Rifle team, we were shooting at a John C. Garand Match at the local Gun Club, we shot in 2 man teams and my teammate was shooting on the line just next to me to the right, well it was the rapid fire Sitting Position, 10 shots, 90secs @ 100yrds I think it is, but I remember I got done with about 30secs left and my partner is freaking out, evidentally all 10 of my cases went down the back of his shooting coat.......30-'06 HOT brass......needless to say thats the fastest Ive ever seen anyone shoot 2rds reload 8rds......and still keep a good 4in group at that speed....

we all got a good laugh
Old April 4, 2008, 08:47 AM   #53
montveil

brass jackets and collars

When I was in the Army in the early sixties my basic training company was charged with pulling targets for civilian M1 rifle competetion. We used the typical canterlevered sash targets
If we were too busy we could not strip the targets and after 7 + targets were pasted on one another some of the brass jackets would strip off the cores and drop into the pits.
I was on more than one occasion that one of these jackets would land in someones shirt collar. Initially the trainee would think he was shot.
Old April 21, 2008, 06:22 PM   #54
bcavin

Not to long ago i was coaching the pistol range aboard MCAS New River, and sometime in the afternoon one of my shooters said "hey caoch, how do you keep from flinching when the brass hits you in the face?". I was so used to it that i didn't even realize it was happening! If you're going to be on a range, your going to get tagged with brass, that simple. It's not going to hurt you or bite you, and if you get a little blister from it, i promise it will heal.

Oh yeah, at the end of the day when i took my cover off, 6-7 9mm casings fell off the top and into my lap while i was driving. Scarred me sh-tless.
Old May 11, 2008, 08:04 AM   #55
Deer Hunter48

I was shooting on my local trap field last tuesday my friend next to me was shooting an semi auto and he was hitting me with his spent shells. Didnt bother me much but they still hurt. I dont think anyone would complain at that range since we all are guilty from time to time.
Old May 11, 2008, 12:31 PM   #56
Rant Casey

Thats one reason among many that I built my own range on my land, and will NEVER frequent indoor ranges. I had a man shooting next to me a couple years back and one of his shell casings fell into my shooting glasses. It wasn't his fault but I will never go into an indoor range again, I just don't like the idea of shooting next to someone who could have little to no firearms saftey training.
Old May 11, 2008, 06:31 PM   #57
usncporet

indoor range problem

Was shooting my Glock 22, brass falling in the lane to my right over the barrier, and the lady who was with her boyfriend/husband yelled at me to "watch my brass". I politely told her I couldn't and I was sorry. I shot a few more times, boyfriend yells to stop hitting him with brass. Again I told them it couldn't be helped and shot some more. The boyfriend swept up some brass and while I was shooting threw the brass at me. I calmly, don't know how, went out to the range manager and he promptly booted them. I consider brass to be a part of shooting and I actually kind of like the distraction. I am certain that if I were in the trenches and my brothers-in-arms were spitting brass on me, I would be happy I was being pelted with their brass!
Old May 21, 2008, 08:35 AM   #58
hr636

Go to unmanned ranges.
Old May 30, 2008, 09:42 PM   #59
workinwifdakids

When my brother and I go shooting, he'll stand at my 4:00 (just behind and to the right of me). Every time I squeeze off a round, he catches the brass in the air and - in one smooth motion - throws it at my head.

I love my brother.
Old May 31, 2008, 12:38 AM   #60
Nnobby45

Have to admit to finding a certain amount of humor in watching the antics of a gal who just had some hot brass go down her blouse.

However, hot brass getting under an inexperienced shooters clothing, or down inside their glasses (that happened to me), doesn't take much imagination as to would could happen if someone started dancing around with a loaded gun in their hands, finger on trigger---well you get the point.

Ball cap pulled low (and maybe canted left) and shirts buttoned all the way should be a rule on every range.
Old June 1, 2008, 08:19 AM   #61
KnightZero

At the spot where I shoot, (indoor range) the only way to pass brass into the next lane is to lean a bit too far out on the line, or if your gun ejects very high. I catch most of the brass from whatever I'm shooting on my own arms, after it bounces off the divider wall next to me. It's barely a sting, not enough to even break my stance in most cases. My P22 does get me every once in awhile, either ejecting a casing (or 10) in a perfect arc down the back of my shirt, or spitting casings directly back at my glasses repeatedly.

There was one unpleasant happening - a gentleman with a semiauto was rapid-firing down range, and every single one of his ejected brass casings came over the divider and bounced around in my stall. He saw where his rounds were ejecting, and got a genuine "Oh ****" look on his face. I let him know I wasn't bothered - doesn't take that much to step back from the line for a second to let someone finish a mag. I was firing the range rental .44 magnum, so I just took a well needed breather each time he emptied a mag.