The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 18, 2002, 12:14 AM   #1
Shmackey

Non-Dork Shooting Glasses

Any recommendations for shooting glasses that don't look like they come with a pocket protector?
"Kid, watch out for the 'conservative' who decries big government and then tells you what you can put in your body, when you should pray, and where you can put your johnson. And kid, follow the money."
Old December 18, 2002, 12:25 AM   #2
SIGarmed

Oakley's? Some military units have been known to use them.
Old December 18, 2002, 12:25 PM   #3
Glockster35

I have a set of the military Oakley glasses issued to me. I think they are M frames. They are very nice, and look really nice, I have had them for over 2 years and they still haven't scratched up. I do take good care of them, but I think I should...you paid for them.

I really like the hard carrying case, and the availability to change the lenses. Mine are all black, with blacked out O. I have Black, Grey and clear lenses.

The only thing I would change is that the frame is a solid piece, and the arms are not bendable.
Old December 18, 2002, 07:12 PM   #4
MarineTech

I'm starting to get a bit near sighted and 500 yard shooting was getting difficult for me. Went to my optometrist and got a prescription and had a set of prescription safety glasses made up for me at Lenscrafters with a light gray tint. They're the Featherweight lenses and look like a normal set of Aviator sunglasses. Work like a champ.

- We who are about to die, don't want to. -
Old December 19, 2002, 01:00 AM   #5
Glockster35

That's a really good idea, and I think more shooters should do the same.

I had an issue with shooting the M-16 a few years back, and found that a set or reading glasses fixed it right up.

I went from scoring a 20 (not qualifying) to 35 (expert) just by getting the glasses.
Old December 19, 2002, 10:55 AM   #6
M1911

Go to Lab Safety, they've got lots and lots of different styles and prices. I've used them several times and their service is great.
Old December 19, 2002, 02:14 PM   #7
powderific

How'bout Wiley X,

They have some that look like regular sunglasses. I use a pair for sunglasses and most people don't realize that they are shooting glasses.
Old December 19, 2002, 05:49 PM   #8
blades67

Try a set of Oakley Half Jackets. Very light, great eye protection and less than $150.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old December 19, 2002, 05:59 PM   #9
sm

I still use the aviator style, with shotguns some other styles don't ride "high" enough.

When age caused me to go to glasses --bifocals, noticed I couldn't read with my shooting glasses. Eye Doc is shooter, so ordered me some stick on magnification. Pkg of 3 prs, removable, $25, lot cheaper than having to order the scripted.

Oh these are great to use on polarized glasses when fishing too. yeah the lines get smaller and one can't see to tie knots.
Old December 19, 2002, 11:36 PM   #10
HerbG

This probably won't appeal to the fashion conscious shooter, but my Bausch & Lomb Shooting glasses were purchased in 1962, and they have probably stood between me and 10 tons of fired ammo in the years since.
Old December 20, 2002, 10:00 AM   #11
Shmackey

Good call on Lab Safety. Lots of different types. Some without slide rules. Best part: $150 gets you, what, 20 pairs?
"Kid, watch out for the 'conservative' who decries big government and then tells you what you can put in your body, when you should pray, and where you can put your johnson. And kid, follow the money."
Old December 22, 2002, 11:33 PM   #12
AAChang

My Oakley M-frames work great
Old December 23, 2002, 11:36 AM   #13
nbk2000

If you're going to be spending a significant amount on your stylish eye protection, get some that you can wear over eyeglasses. You may not wear glasses now, but you likely will sometime in your life. Plan ahead for it 'cause you may have these glasses for many years to come.

Also, you could loan them to anyone who does wear glasses, who might be with you and forgot/lost/broke theirs.

Oakleys (if they're the ones I'm thinking of) are impossible to wear over eyeglasses, you have to get special lenses ordered for them.