The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 13, 2020, 05:59 PM   #1
Swifty Morgan

Wireless Chronograph?

I have a Chrony F1. It works, but I am getting tired of the wire that runs from the display to the chronograph, not to mention pausing to record the velocities after each shot.

It would be nice to have something that has bluetooth or wifi, and I would also like to be able to upload results to a computer wirelessly.

What's good?
Old May 13, 2020, 06:21 PM   #2
LeverGunFan

If you have the coin, the Labradar offers easier setup with nothing in front of your shooting line. Records lots of data, but you can only download using a USB cord or the SD card. It can be controlled from a phone app via Bluetooth.
Old May 13, 2020, 06:32 PM   #3
Swifty Morgan

Thanks, but to save $400, I think I can live without Doppler radar! It looks nice, though.
Old May 13, 2020, 07:57 PM   #4
Swifty Morgan

Decided to try a Competition Electronics Prochrono DLX. Hope it works.
Old May 23, 2020, 04:39 PM   #5
Swifty Morgan

The Prochrono DLX is amazing.

I fired 5 shots through it today, using the phone app to gather data. I was surprised to hear the phone announcing the velocities aloud. That sure beats turning around to read numbers.

Unlike my old Chrony, the Prochrono worked every time. The app let me save the shots in a list which included information on OAL, powder type and amount, and so on. It recorded the temperature and barometric pressure, too. When I was done, I used the app to send myself a PDF. It has the average, standard deviation, and a bunch of other stuff laid out for me.

The Chrony was better than nothing, but I would never buy a Chrony product again. I bought mine around 10 years ago, and it seemed junky even by the standards of that time. It's a pain to use, it can't connect to a phone or tablet, and the company that makes it does not pay any attention to emailed orders even after soliciting them on its site.

The Chrony's diffusers are weird plastic things you have to snap together. The Prochrono has one-piece diffusers that can't come apart on you.

I'll keep the Chrony in case I shoot the Prochrono, but even then, it would only be an emergency backup.
Old May 23, 2020, 05:12 PM   #6
pete2

I would be happier with my Chrony if it just read the velocity at each shot. I don't need it to store the shots on several strings etc. I'll write down the speed of each shot. That's all I want to know.
Old May 23, 2020, 05:33 PM   #7
ballardw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete2 View Post
I would be happier with my Chrony if it just read the velocity at each shot. I don't need it to store the shots on several strings etc. I'll write down the speed of each shot. That's all I want to know.
Chrony used to have a printer that would record the velocity, haven't checked to see.

Of course you still have to make a note on the paper of the load/cartridge characteristics.
And it used simple supplies available at a business store for paper.
Old May 23, 2020, 06:26 PM   #8
Swifty Morgan

The Chrony printer costs $145. Am I missing something here? I paid $125 for a machine that works better, announces velocities in a loud voice, has no wires, and sends analysis files to my computer.

Last edited by Swifty Morgan; May 23, 2020 at 06:47 PM.