The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 4, 2010, 09:22 PM   #1
zxcvbob

Finally took my Nagant revolver to the range

You almost have to be Superman (or at least Batman) to shoot this thing double-action, but it's not bad at all SA. I will definitely have to figure out how to reload for it. I shot a half a box of Fiocchi and I'm pretty sure it was weaker than .22LR, just judging from the recoil and how gently the steel plates fell. There's no way this is full-powered ammo. I need to get a box of Hotshot for comparison.

Only one case split tho', that's better than I expected. I'm gonna try reloading them with .30 Carbine dies and a .380 shellholder. I may have to trim them back to something I can crimp; wish me luck.

Last edited by zxcvbob; June 4, 2010 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Changed the title
Old June 4, 2010, 09:24 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is just Nagant - Mosin had nothing to do with the revolver.

Jim
Old June 4, 2010, 09:30 PM   #3
zxcvbob

Sorry about that. (are you sure?)

Gonna go look up the history now...
Old June 5, 2010, 12:11 AM   #4
EdInk

He is correct.
Old June 5, 2010, 10:19 AM   #5
Wildalaska

Do a search I have reloading instructions here.

Bite the bullet and pay the price for the RCBS nagant shellholder you will be much happier.

WildabitofadviceAlaska TM
Old June 10, 2010, 05:20 PM   #6
Flipper 56

There is an amercan caliber that will fire out of those old revolvers as well. I want to say it is 32 H & R but I will have to think about it. I agree about the Double action I would not want to engage in hand-to-hand combat with the guy who regularly used the one that I shot. Quite the unique appearance however
Old June 10, 2010, 05:57 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

There are American cartridges that will "fire out of" Nagants, but they are not right for the Russian gun. .32 S&W Long is often used, but accuracy is poor, cases sometimes split and in general, it just isn't the right cartridge.

There are cylinders sold for the Nagant that are chambered for .32 ACP; I reamed one to take .32 H&R Magnum and it works OK.

I don't know if it would fit, but DO NOT try to use the new Federal .327 Magnum in ANY old guns. The pressure is in the 46k psi range (about that of the 7mm Mauser) and not for anything but strong modern guns.

Jim
Old June 10, 2010, 07:48 PM   #8
raftman

I've shot 100 rounds of .32 S&W Long out of my Nagant, accuracy doesn't impress, but with the condition of the bore, it's not really that much worse than when I shoot 7.62 Nagant through it. Didn't have any cases split, only slight bulging occurred, but spend casings will fall right out of the cylinder just like the Hot Shot 7.62x38R does. It's a really neat gun.
Old July 7, 2010, 01:50 PM   #9
steelman762

I tried making reloads using 32-20 win brass. LEE sold a die set for this reload. I did not have much success with it though. I don`t think the resizing die was quite right. The bullets would not seat properly due to the shell opening being too loose. I could not get any accuracy out of it. I was using a 110gr .309 LRN bullet. I didn`t do anymore experiments with it. I didn`t want to spend anymore time on it. The grip does not fit my hands too well either, too small. It is a interesting revolver though.