The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 4, 2020, 11:07 PM   #1
veprdude

XDM-45 Rear sight drifted in holster

XDM-45 rear sight drifted to the right in my IWB holster. Been carrying it for 6 1/2 years. With the S hitting the fan, what's a surefire way to fix it in my garage? Epoxy? Staking?

Rear sights are Meprolight tritium night sights. These were installed by a gunsmith in November/December 2013. I've heard XD/XDM sights are a PITA to install since the dovetail is so tight. Surprised to see they have loosened up.

Old April 4, 2020, 11:25 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Some gun makers use red Loctite. I don't like that, because red requires heat to release. I would try purple Loctite (low hold) first. If that doesn't work, clean it off and try again with blue (medium hold).
Jeepaholic
Old April 5, 2020, 07:07 AM   #3
Shotgun Slim

XDm sights are crazy tight. I believe the gunsmith that installed your sight filed just a little too much off of it or (hopefully not) the slide dovetail to make the install easier. If he/she was incompetent enough to remove material from your slide then I would be after them for a new one. If they took too much off the sight then I would remove them from your list of preferred gunsmiths at least! Since this is your carry gun you need to have confidence in it at all times. If it was me I would put a new sight in it properly. That sight should have never moved even with VERY rough treatment. You can try one of the Loctites but I think your sight is too loose to be trusted again.
Old April 5, 2020, 08:40 AM   #4
mehavey

Cut a thin strip of coke can aluminum and slip it under the sight/in the groove.
It will compress/"squish" out for a perfect/stable fit.
Old April 5, 2020, 09:03 AM   #5
AK103K

Normal fix is to take a punch, and "dimple" or "crater" the bottom of the dovetail. One or maybe two should do. Doesnt take much.
Old April 5, 2020, 09:11 AM   #6
burrhead

Use a center punch on the bottom of the dovetail to punch a divot or two. This will disrupt a little metal. Check for fit. Then install the sight with blue loctite.

Oops, AK and I posted at the same time. Great minds...

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old April 5, 2020, 11:33 AM   #7
veprdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
Normal fix is to take a punch, and "dimple" or "crater" the bottom of the dovetail. One or maybe two should do. Doesnt take much.
Should this be done on the slide or sight? I think the sights are brass BTW.
Old April 5, 2020, 11:43 AM   #8
AK103K

Its done in the dovetail on the slide. I had to do it on a couple of guns and I did two dimples, one in a bit from each edge.

Ive also seen it done with just one in the center.

Meprolight sights are steel. Ive installed quite a few sets. I usually run the base across a sheet of emery on a flat, hard surface before I install them, as it usually makes it easier.

Doing it that way, reduces the height incrementally, and takes material off evenly across the whole sight, and makes pushing the sights easier.

If you get to carried away, it will make the sights loose though. A couple of passes is usually all thats necessary.

Is the base of your sight shiny, or black?
Old April 5, 2020, 04:26 PM   #9
veprdude

They are steel. I tested with a magnet.

Old April 5, 2020, 05:06 PM   #10
AK103K

It doesnt look like whoever installed them did much of anything prep wise, other than just push them in right out of the package.

My guess would be, either the Mepros are a bit undersize, the dovetail a bit over size, or maybe a bit of both.

Id put a dimple at either side of that dark oval in the bottom of the dovetail and youll probably be good.
Old April 6, 2020, 06:06 AM   #11
Don P

You could get a set screw. Would require drilling and tapping the site
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 6, 2020, 06:15 AM   #12
jetinteriorguy

I’d just order an Irwin #8-32 tap and drill bit on Amazon for around $8.00 and put in a set screw. This way it’s easy to adjust whenever you need to, just keep an appropriate size Allen wrench in your range bag.
Old April 6, 2020, 12:41 PM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

Lots of things will work to tighten it up in the dovetail. Dimpling, staking, shims, glues, setscrew, etc.

I do wish people would stop saying "use (color) Loctite". Loctite makes a RANGE of products (over a dozen I'm familiar with) identified by both the color of the bottle AND a NUMBER. Red 222 and red 271 are not identical products, and are different from all the blues and greens and everything else.

someone saying "use red Loctite" is kind of like saying "put motor oil in your car" ...
Old April 6, 2020, 03:10 PM   #14
TunnelRat

XDM-45 Rear sight drifted in holster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Lots of things will work to tighten it up in the dovetail. Dimpling, staking, shims, glues, setscrew, etc.

I do wish people would stop saying "use (color) Loctite". Loctite makes a RANGE of products (over a dozen I'm familiar with) identified by both the color of the bottle AND a NUMBER. Red 222 and red 271 are not identical products, and are different from all the blues and greens and everything else.

someone saying "use red Loctite" is kind of like saying "put motor oil in your car" ...

That may be true, but I have yet to go to a store that carries multiple numbers of a given color, at least in terms of the smaller droppers (I’m sure some stores do, and we can go to war in Google search, but I’d rather not). To follow your metaphor to me it’s more like saying use Mobil or Castrol 5w-30. Yes each company makes different formulations, but you’ll generally be in the ballpark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; April 6, 2020 at 03:19 PM.
Old April 6, 2020, 07:46 PM   #15
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
Guilty as charged.

Partially, it's laziness on my part. Yes, I know that Loctite makes a slew of different products, identified by number. But you won't find most of them at the local auto mart. What you will find in the auto parts chains are the three that are used as thread lockers. Those are #222 (low-strength, purple); #243 (medium strength, blue); and #271 (high strength, red, requires heat to remove). But ... many of the parts houses don't carry Loctite brand, they carry Permatex. The Permatex products don't use the Loctite numbering code, but they do use the same color system.

So it's easiest to just stipulate the color.
Jeepaholic
Old April 7, 2020, 02:21 AM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

I will admit to a certain "sensitivity" about the issue, having spent several years doing the Chemical management program for a DOE nuclear facility. EVERY product used had to be tracked, inventoried and have the correct MSDS for worker right to know.

So, I'm aware of the differences in products, and which MSDS is the correct one for which floor sweep compound, and the dozens of sealants, lubricants, oils glues, cleaners and more esoteric chemical compounds used in the nuclear industry.

Go ask that auto parts store clerk for an MSDS for that Loctite or what ever (or what ever paper they're using now) you'll probably get a blank look, but by law, they have to have them, and provide them if you ask.

And yes, there is an MSDS for water...
Old April 7, 2020, 06:27 AM   #17
mehavey

Dihydrogen Monoxide can kill you, don'cha know.....