The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 22, 2018, 09:39 PM   #1
Saltydog235

My Holy Grail......

Of rifles.

I’ve been wanting a Sako 85 Bavarian Carbine chambered in .308win for years. Lady Luck and a very supportive wife who encouraged me to get it don’t hurt either. This one will wear a Schmidt and Bender Stratos 1.5-8X42 with FD7 reticule in extra low Opti-lock rings and carried via a Turner Saddlery sling. I’m pretty darn stoked for deer season and may not buy another rifle again.

Well, at least not this year.
Old July 22, 2018, 09:59 PM   #2
ice monkey

Man talk about a beautiful rifle. I love the Mannlicher stocks! Alas I had to go with the CZ being I couldn’t afford a Sako.

Congrats!! I hope she’s a shooter for you!

I’m going to have to google the glass. Never heard of that before.

Last edited by ice monkey; July 22, 2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old July 22, 2018, 10:06 PM   #3
Saltydog235

I had a CZ 550fs in 6.5 Swede but sold it a few years ago. I just didn’t have time to develop a new cartridge. Great guns but they’re hard to find in a .308 these days. Then I sold my No.1 International to my buddy. Been wanting another Mannlicher stock gun since the. It was an extravagant expense I doubt I’ll do again any time soon but you only live once.

I just wish my vision was better, I’d shoot it iron sights. The only other rifle I’ve had that pointed this naturally was the CZ. As soon as it hits the shoulder, the irons are there.
Old July 22, 2018, 10:23 PM   #4
ice monkey

Nice!! There’s nothing better than a natural pointer!

My most natural pointer is my little 16” barrel Marlin 336. I joke that it shoots itself. In spite of that, I had to put an optic on it even with it being an under 200 yard gun as my eyes aren’t going to cut it either. In retrospect, I probably should have just got a red dot for it.

Either way, I looked up the glass you’re putting on the Bavarian. It should mate very nicely! Man... that’s a nice set up!! Enjoy.
Old August 5, 2018, 07:13 PM   #5
ThomasT

Without pictures it didn't happen.
Old August 7, 2018, 10:28 PM   #6
Saltydog235

I don’t know how to post pics on here from my phone.
Old August 8, 2018, 07:58 AM   #7
fourbore

I wanted one for a couple years. I hoped to see one at a local shop in 6.5x55. It never happened. I did notice the wood varied a bit and was hoping to get one of the more attractive examples. Well, due to cost as much as anything, I settled for a cz550 full stock in 6.5x55 with exceptional woodgrain.

I still have the dream. BTW, both of these come with very 'un-American' set triggers. I love those triggers. And yes the 550 is another natural pointer. To actually get the benefit of the snap and point, you cannot mount a scope. I need a scope, but; used QD mounts so I could experience the proper feel of the rifle when I was not shooting for serious.

I am petty sure this forum will not host your photos. They dont get any of mine. I am not going to open up a 3rd party account like photo can just to help out a forum in need.
Old August 8, 2018, 08:06 AM   #8
FITASC

No need for 3rd party hosting here. Off your computer or off the Net, pics are easily posted.

Example:
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 8, 2018, 05:41 PM   #9
fourbore

That requires opening an account with duckydo. I am calling duckydo a 3rd party. The first party is me, firingline the 2nd and duckydo would be a 3rd. Like photocan (aka bucket). I dont see the need. My life is pretty complete without jumping hoops to help out other people or forums.
Old August 8, 2018, 07:30 PM   #10
FITASC

No, it doesn't. Anyone can go on any site with any browser and click to copy the url and paste; but if it is too complicated or you fear big brother, then don't bother.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa