The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 30, 2018, 02:28 PM   #1
hounddawg

Wilson Chamber dies and Arbor Press

I have been thinking about trying one of the Wilson chamber dies for seating and the DIY press thread got me to thinking. Is a arbor press really necessary? Why not just sit the bullet seater base on the top of the ram of a regular press and hold the die in place as you raise the ram. You can put a old die or 7/8ths bolt in the press to stop upward movement. Or even easier just use it like a Lee hammer die. It does not take a tremendous amount of force to seat a bullet
Old April 30, 2018, 03:00 PM   #2
Dufus

Quote:
It does not take a tremendous amount of force to seat a bullet
You are correct, it does not.

I think that is why the old Lee Loader did it well....same concept.

As long as the case neck is not crooked, it should turn out good.
Old April 30, 2018, 03:23 PM   #3
F. Guffey

I have Lyman in-line seaters, I also have other seaters that only require the heel of the hand with the die setting solid on the floor, bench etc. to seat bullets.

And If I came across a case that required 90 pounds of effort to seat the bullet I would immediately suspect there is something wrong. Most in-line seaters had a good system for aligning the bullet with the neck of the case mouth.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; April 30, 2018 at 03:25 PM. Reason: remove a
Old April 30, 2018, 05:02 PM   #4
old roper

My Wilson seater for 30-06 with no bullet in it is 5" long, 223 is 3 3/4" and 284 is 4 3/8" and if you use base add about 1/8". My arbor press got good solid base and I got it when I started shooting BR.

I think mallet be good to use.
NRA Life Member
Old April 30, 2018, 07:11 PM   #5
hounddawg

What kind of results are you guys getting with these ?

I am getting acceptable but not great bullet runout with my Redding bushing and a Forster micro seating die but wondering if the Wilson chamber might give a tad better results. I am not a big fan of seating into the lands so I like a concentric cartridge.

I am thinking I may just pick up a regular Wilson chamber seater in .260 and a die base just to test. I figure I can make dummy bullets with the micro adjust die to set it with and use it with a mallet and a piece of heavy wood
Old April 30, 2018, 10:59 PM   #6
old roper

You get die base with seater. I can't answer your question as I've never compared.
NRA Life Member