The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 17, 2002, 11:20 AM   #1
LAH

50 cal. rifle and handgun bullets

Who in the gang shoot these big guns, 500 Linebaugh, 50-70, 50-110, 500 Nitro or whatever? I'd like to know which bullet weight, style and diameter you like. We are considering the addition of a couple .50 caliber cast bullets and would welcome your input either here or by email. Thanks and God's Blessings to all.
Old May 18, 2002, 10:07 PM   #2
Watchman

I shoot a .50 BMG.

How about some molds for that ?
Not much out there for .50 BMG rifles.

Spitzer bullets in the 600-800 grain range would be great. They'd probably need to have a gas check arrangement due to the speeds involved. A double cavity mold would be nice.

Id buy some in a heartbeat.

Just a thought...

One might be able to use some half inch copper tubing for a jacketed bullet. A mold that could incorporate this would be an exellent idea.

One could then cast jacketed lead bullets and not have to worry about leading.

That would be some cheap shooting for a .50 BMG.
If nothing else, they would make great short range plinking loads, say to 600 yards or so.
Old May 18, 2002, 10:31 PM   #3
Kenneth L. Walters

Cast Bullet Engineering (in australia) and NEI both have moulds for the 50 BMG. I've used both. No problems.

CBE, NEI, Hoch and Ballisti-Cast have moulds for the other 50's you mentioned. CBE moulds are all brass. NEI can be either aluminum or iron. Buy the iron they last much better.
Old May 20, 2002, 07:18 AM   #4
LAH

Thanks for the replies. We aren't currently casting for the 50's but hope to start soon. If any of you other guys want to jump in here I would be most thankful.