The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 24, 2021, 01:27 PM   #1
Ukrainitz

Manurhin MR73

Beretta is importing these revolvers, and I'm seeing a lot of hype from some of the firearms channels. "Best ever 357 mag ever", etc. If someone paid me good money, I would tell them my '81 Ford Pinto was pretty damn reliable.
So is the hype true or just a fancy sales pitch with a hefty price tag of $3k?
Old May 24, 2021, 07:51 PM   #2
bac1023

Yes, they are among the best revolvers ever without a doubt. A quick Google search and you can read all about them

The vintage commercial models sell for a good deal more than that, actually. I’ve got a couple of them.
Old May 25, 2021, 04:16 AM   #3
Nathan

They great, but better than 3 s&w’s? Not sure.
Old May 25, 2021, 04:33 AM   #4
bac1023

I never understood people who judge the price of a gun based on how many cheaper guns you could buy instead, but ok.

I owned hundreds of firearms, but I’m always quality over quantity.

Yes, I’d take one MR over three new Smiths any day.
Old May 25, 2021, 08:22 AM   #5
lamarw

I keep abreast of auction prices as a method of keeping up with my own gun values. Just about any of the collector grade S&W or Colts are going for several thousand dollars.

Unless you are in the business, gun sales - pawn shop, will you be able to pull together several guns for 3 grand.

Some of us have nice Smiths and Colts we bought years ago and are worth a lot more these days. We are the ones who are blessed and lucky.

I would not be surprised to see the MR73 in demand and the MSRP to also go up. Lets face it, prices are skyrocketing on just about every thing. Look at the lumber shortage and steel tripling in price. Houses and cars are going to be affected.

Plastic guns as the only ones less expensive on the market, and that is not true even for all of them.

Champuis Armes only produces 400 MR73's per year.
Old May 25, 2021, 08:27 AM   #6
FITASC

Right up there in quality with Willi Korth revolvers
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 25, 2021, 10:18 AM   #7
wild cat mccane

What you might not understand some find value in actual features and functions. Who is shooting out a S&W equivalent of the MR73 in the 586 or 686? No one.

So that the MR73 is stronger than the 686...who cares? A case from a 357 that fails is going to fail the revolver. There doesn't exist an over pressure 357 by DT, Underwood, or BB that is going to kill a GP100 or 686.

The MR73 is expensive because a person hand de-burs it for 12 hours and how it built. Okay...but did that actually add a function? no. Did it add a feature of the pistol? yes.

Is the single action trigger on a S&W have anything wrong with it? Nope. So what does the MR73 bring for single action? Nothing.

It's cool. People are going to buy it. Is it worth it outside of collecting? Absolutely not. No feature makes it stand out as 3 times the cost.

I can understand purchasing for collective reasons. Meh, seems interesting. I don't find it visually more appealing than a 586 though...

Last edited by wild cat mccane; May 25, 2021 at 10:29 AM.
Old May 25, 2021, 11:21 AM   #8
MarkCO

I have held one many years ago, never shot one. I do believe that they are at the top of the pile when it comes to .357Mag Revolvers in probably every category. I'd love to shoot one and own one, but doubtful that I will. If I did, I'd shoot it a lot.

I would not look down on a person who aspired to obtain one even though price tag is a little rich for this working mans wallet. I'd also love to have a Browning 725 Golden Clays to match my Browning Golden Sporting Clays, but again, a bit rich for my wallet. I just happened to luck into mine used at a steal of a price. I would not mind having Zoli, Kreighoff, Turnbull, Winchester .405, and a few others. I am content to shoot what I have and admire the top tier (or rare) guns for what they are.
Old May 25, 2021, 02:22 PM   #9
HighValleyRanch

It's a beautiful revolver but.......
I always loved winning the bullseye matches with my old Ruger Mark I over those competitors that were shooting their fancy dancy Hammerli 208's and Walther GPS's!

And out of curiousity, what was the French SWAT using 6 shot revolvers?

Last edited by HighValleyRanch; May 25, 2021 at 02:33 PM.
Old May 25, 2021, 03:07 PM   #10
FITASC

Quote:
I have held one many years ago, never shot one. I do believe that they are at the top of the pile when it comes to .357Mag Revolvers in probably every category. I'd love to shoot one and own one, but doubtful that I will. If I did, I'd shoot it a lot.

I would not look down on a person who aspired to obtain one even though price tag is a little rich for this working mans wallet. I'd also love to have a Browning 725 Golden Clays to match my Browning Golden Sporting Clays, but again, a bit rich for my wallet. I just happened to luck into mine used at a steal of a price. I would not mind having Zoli, Kreighoff, Turnbull, Winchester .405, and a few others. I am content to shoot what I have and admire the top tier (or rare) guns for what they are.
I as well. Lucked into a 3 month old Beretta DT-11 for a great price. Still trying to convince a friend to part with his 28 gauge Perazzi.........Also have Beretta semis and Browning O/Us. My Gti is right at the same age as your Special and the XT I bought from a co-worker of the wife is a decent back-up to the back-up...............
Look for a used 725 (or better yet a 425, IMO best version they made)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 25, 2021, 03:22 PM   #11
wild cat mccane

One hijack operation always get mentioned with the MR73 like nothing has ever happened in the world since.

Through all the nonsense, the GIGN doesn't use the MR73 today like the internet leads you to believe. Think on it. 357mag? Really?

In fact, they use a standard firearm with the Glock 19. The 357 they use as frequent as the MR73? it's the S&W 686 because it's stainless and the MR73 has a bad rep for rusting...like all non stainless steel carbon blued guns.
Old May 25, 2021, 03:25 PM   #12
HighValleyRanch

because when you look up the Manurhin 73, the first hit is wikipedia which states:
Quote:
Usage[edit]
The MR 73 was standard issue with France's Gendarmerie and in some police units including Special Weapons and Tactics teams (RAID, GIGN and comparable units). In 2021, Beretta began to import the MR 73 Gendarmerie and the MR 73 Sport into the United States.[5]
...and on the original M73 Classic 12 wrote:
Quote:
Some of the French GIGN (SWAT equivalent) guns shot over 150,000 rounds.

Last edited by HighValleyRanch; May 25, 2021 at 03:37 PM.
Old May 25, 2021, 03:33 PM   #13
wild cat mccane

Joys of google searching, it's an algorythm of popularity. Gun guys like the idea that the most advance elite operators in the world use the MR73.

Finances for the GIGN? Glock.

No one seems to mention the 686 GFS they use either.

Just circular adulation. Reality is the Glock is the sidearm they use.
Old May 25, 2021, 03:45 PM   #14
HighValleyRanch

OK, I stand corrected.
Those must be glock revolvers in the photos!

Probably Ruger LCRX, the glock of the revolver world!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 1.39.20 PM.png (546.9 KB, 1204 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 1.40.09 PM.png (432.7 KB, 1193 views)
Old May 25, 2021, 05:38 PM   #15
wild cat mccane

Recall the concert hall and cafe attack in France which BRI, GIGN and RAID responded to? HK SMGs in every hand that wasn't holding an AR, just like how the Wiki link said they had access to. Not a single MR73 in sight.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34827497 for a refresh.

So perhaps the photos and all the internet searching articles by chest beating gun mags might be giving you a bit of hype and propaganda?

Unless you know of a single SWAT team that goes into a long distance situation with a handgun drawn (regardless of kind)...

In fact, good luck finding a 2021 photo of the RM73 with the GIGN. The reported use of the RM73 is circular by the same magazines.

Again, France is a Glock police force nation. Regardless of what 2017/2018 gun magazine article tells you.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; May 25, 2021 at 05:47 PM.
Old May 25, 2021, 05:54 PM   #16
MarkCO

Who uses it, and how really has nothing to do with the actual question about the MR73 being great or over-rated. If not for the GIGN, it would not exist, but it really does not matter to the current production MR73s.

Quote:
So is the hype true or just a fancy sales pitch with a hefty price tag of $3k?
Old May 25, 2021, 10:46 PM   #17
KyJim

Quote:
Who uses it, and how really has nothing to do with the actual question about the MR73 being great or over-rated. If not for the GIGN, it would not exist, but it really does not matter to the current production MR73s.
Couldn't agree more. I've been dithering over whether to pony up the money for one --- not because the GIGN used them, but because they are examples of precision engineering and craftsmanship, bordering on being works of art that also serve a practical purpose.

I get that some people either can't or don't want to put that much money into one. But I wonder if there would be the same animus as I see against the Manurhin if we were talking about some of the offerings from Freedom Arms. Or, for that matter, how about a 1911 from Wilson Combat or Nighthawk? They're going to run as much as or more than a Manurhin.
Old May 26, 2021, 04:57 AM   #18
Classic12

I bought a new one made by Chappuis Armes back in 2009 (and made in 2007). I never regretted that purchase.

Price was 2000 Swiss francs, which was the same in US dollars. Today’s price in Switzerland is $ 3000.

They are beautiful guns with an amazing blueing. Trigger is great, accuracy is excellent. A true collector and shooter.

Old May 26, 2021, 05:49 AM   #19
Centurion

Which was the distance from the target in your last picture?
Was it offhand of supported shooting?
Which ammo?
Just to make an idea of their accuracy.

Thanks!
Old May 26, 2021, 06:23 AM   #20
Classic12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
Which was the distance from the target in your last picture?
Was it offhand of supported shooting?
Which ammo?
Just to make an idea of their accuracy.

Thanks!

Offhand 25 meters

In a ransom rest it will probably keep 5 rounds under 2 inches

Don’t remember the ammo, but a quality brand (Norma, Geco, Remington, Winchester)

Some more targets

Those two were DA duel mode 3/7 (3 seconds on 7 seconds off) from the low ready position

Old May 26, 2021, 09:35 AM   #21
wild cat mccane

Hold on.

If an internet spread mythical and false idea that the GIGN uses the MR73 is driving value/price, I'd be happy if someone corrected that for me. Watch out, the HK MP5 will shoot up in value once everyone learns that's the GIGN's go to.

Now that we know the GIGN doesn't actually really field the MR73, was part of that $3K value removed? The GIGN also has but also doesn't field the 686 all that much use either, does that change value?

I'm not sure many of us couldn't get those results from a 686? 686 plus the $150 trigger job that S&W offers? You're still under $1K.

I get the interest, but reality check it too. That's a pretty item that doesn't bring much against the competition.
Old May 26, 2021, 09:44 AM   #22
Centurion

That's what I was talking about in several of my postings. I cannot see where Manurhin revolvers get such high value from.
Old May 26, 2021, 10:45 AM   #23
lamarw

It hardly matters how much they sell for or the value of an item if you are not interested in owning it.

Here is one that closed at auction last evening. The hammer fell at $2,900.00. The winner will also have to pay the buyer's premium and I am sure sales tax since it was an onsite winning bid. I think the revolver was refinished but can't swear to it since I think it should of been blued. This one is older since it was produced prior to Champuis Armes production 21 years ago.

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Mi...ation/61047027

Last edited by lamarw; May 26, 2021 at 11:00 AM.
Old May 26, 2021, 10:45 AM   #24
bac1023

I just laugh my ass off in these threads. The MR73 has been around almost 50 years and has been one of the finest revolvers in the world since it was introduced. Now that they’re being actively imported, everyone who doesn’t know a thing about them has an opinion. Hugh end handguns are not for everyone. Know your limitations and move on.

Stick to your Rugers and L Frame Smiths.
Old May 26, 2021, 12:01 PM   #25
MarkCO

^Truth