The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 9, 2010, 01:05 PM   #26
bigghoss

for a little extra peace of mind maybe you can pick up a cheap pistol cabinet or case and leave it out as bait so they can think they made off with your gun. put something inside to complete the effect.

maybe stuff it up into the empty space in a couch or armchair

you could not change your socks or underwear for 3 or 4 days then hide the gun in a pile of nasty skivies. I bet even if they know it's there they won't want it. skid marks will really seal the deal on this one.:barf:

can you possibly bolt a cheapo pistol cabinet to something? or maybe an airline approved locking case and chain that down?
Old January 9, 2010, 01:27 PM   #27
lomaxanderson

Under the Kitchen sink ,above the doors below the countertop ..in the false front area...have a bar overhang with an apron? make a drop down panel with catches to keep it closed and mount it under the overhang so you tap the panel and it springs open with weapon ready for use ...I have used this for a shotgun before and works great...water tight container of your choice in the back of the toilet...under dogs dish table...I have big dogs so they don't eat off the floor, too tall...secured under the top of coffee table...Have a space in your kitchen base cabinets ?...hinge the countertop and install a panel above the drawer to hold the weapon...doesn't work with granite ...easy to do with laminate tops...custom made cabinet with secret compartments...My personal favorite ...

Beware of my dogs if you think you can come over and try to see if I use any or all of these...

Mason Rhea Gsd

Last edited by lomaxanderson; January 9, 2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: spelln
Old January 9, 2010, 04:12 PM   #28
The Great Mahoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by isanchez2008
If you read my posts you can see why "properly" storing them is a problem at this point in time. If everything goes according to plan I will be purchasing a home in the near future. Thanks for the ideas guys
Not to be persnickety, but I've read your posts and still think hiding an unsecured gun is a bad idea. If a safe is unpractical, and bolting a small one down is out of the question, I suggest on of the steel lock-boxes with a steel-tether. Place your handgun inside and tether the box to something very secure, like the plumbing under a sink or so.
Old January 9, 2010, 05:12 PM   #29
ClayInTx

Good hiding place

Any place you can think of has already been thought of by the BGs.

Pull out every drawer of any chest and dump contents onto floor.
Take off every cushion of every chair, inspect for pockets, throw onto floor.
Check down the sides of recliners, turn chair upside down.
Rip every picture off walls of every room, throw onto floor, check for safe.
Check any drawer on coffee table, turn upside down.
Check every drawer on reading stand, turn upside down.
Open every drawer in kitchen, dump contents onto floor, throw drawer onto floor, check space behind drawer.
Open all cabinets, rake contents onto floor.
Turn tables upside down.
Check oven.
Rip out burners of stove, check space below.
Open refrigerator, dump contents of every left-over bowl onto floor.
Same for freezer.
Dump garbage cans onto floor.
Bedrooms: dump drawers onto floor, check behind.
Rip mattress off bed, check for pockets.
Closets: throw all clothes out into room, check for cute hidden panels.
Dump all toy boxes onto floor.
Rake all books off of any bookstand, kick bigger books about to check for cute cutout hideaway book.
Do same type search of basement, garage, attic.

Any place other than these is a good place to stash your guns and cash.
Old January 9, 2010, 06:46 PM   #30
isanchez2008

Quote:
I suggest on of the steel lock-boxes with a steel-tether
THE GREATMAHOO

I understand that you don't like leaving a gun unsecured. I don't either and I wasn't trying to convince you that it is a good idea. It is just what I have to deal with. Thanks for eventually contributing something I may be able to use
Old January 9, 2010, 06:58 PM   #31
troy_mclure

heres what my parents do.

you get a cheapo uncle mikes holster for your gun, then you get some ugly curtains/drapes/doilies/etc...

screw the holster into the wall so its behind the fabric, but not too close to a window, hang your gun there.

my parents home was broken into twice and they missed this gun(gp100) both times.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 9, 2010, 07:49 PM   #32
bigghoss

ya know, of all the times I saw "it takes a thief" I never once saw him pull out and check behind the fridge, but then again I bet most of those houses had some kind of semi-permanent built in unit
Old January 9, 2010, 09:18 PM   #33
wally626

Quote:
ya know, of all the times I saw "it takes a thief" I never once saw him pull out and check behind the fridge, but then again I bet most of those houses had some kind of semi-permanent built in unit
I think the key is having a hiding place that is good but also easy to get to. You could hide a gun on top of a heating duct in the crawl space and I doubt to many thieves would find it. One I have heard of but never used myself, is to hollow out the top of a door and place the items there. I have never seen a TV thief check out door tops and it did not make ClayInTx's list. Still not instantly available unless you are kinda tall, or keep a stool in your closet, just make sure it doesn't rattle.
Old January 9, 2010, 09:40 PM   #34
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Under the trash bag at the bottom of the trash can.
Tried that one, thought it was a good idea back when I lived in San Diego. Not so good when visiting mother in law tries to be helpful and dumps the trash in the dumpster for you and doesn't notice gun. Got it back when I came home and it was still on top of the garbage in plain sight. Nearly had a bad bad day there.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 9, 2010, 09:48 PM   #35
Beentown71

I had a couch that had a cover piece of cloth on the underside. I cut a small slit and mounted a cheap Uncle Mikes holster in it. Worked well.

Beentown

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old January 10, 2010, 08:15 AM   #36
ClayInTx

Addendum to the list.

Note to all BGs lurking on forum:

Check behind fridge.
Check behind drapes.
Feel along top of doors.
You already knew to dump out the garbage cans.
Forget about checking above ducts in the crawl space, there’s spiders up there!

Just hang in here and lurk. Sooner or later every place you never thought about will be named.

What’s that? You’ve already thought of them?

Sorry, thought I was being helpful.
Old January 10, 2010, 08:15 AM   #37
m&p45acp10+1

I was doing cable work a few years ago, and a frined of mine asked me to install his satelite. When I was running the drop line through the attic I found a shotgun on top of the rafter boards in the gable of the attic. If I had not been stapling cable to the boards I would never have found it. I did not see it. I felt somthing and pulled it down. It was a Reminton 870.
The previous owner of the house had died, and I guess it was missed by the family. My friend still has that shot gun. We had a friend that is a local LEO run the numbers of it to assure it was not reported stolen.
I guess that would be a good hiding spot. My friend lived in that house for 3 years before I installed that satelite, and his Christmas decorations were less than 5 feet from where it was.
Old January 10, 2010, 02:47 PM   #38
Blue Steel

I'm not sure that you can have any conversation in an open forum if you're always worried about who might read it...the free exchange of ideas on an open forum means that some people will read this that I don't want to. You weigh that against the benefit/value of the interaction with like-minded individuals.

That said:

A holster with retention mounted above the door inside of a small closet, something like a Blackhawk SERPA. Reach in, defeat the retention, draw firearm. It might also be interesting to mount a pistol safe this way, where you could reach up, defeat the safe combo, then draw the gun out of the safe.
Old January 10, 2010, 03:11 PM   #39
45Gunner

1. Gun Safe.

2. False (Hollow) Book in book case.

3. Draw of living room table.

4. Desk Draw

5. Dresser Draw

6. Night Stand

7. Gun Rack over bed

8. On my Hip.

9. Hanging Gun Holder in Closet.

10. Second Safe Upstairs.
NRA Life Member
Old January 10, 2010, 05:21 PM   #40
SigP6Carry

I contemplated taping one to the underside of my bathroom sink, but then decided that a guncase under the counter would work just as well.
Old January 10, 2010, 06:53 PM   #41
bigghoss

Quote:
Quote:

I think the key is having a hiding place that is good but also easy to get to.
well I don't know about your fridge but mine wouldn't be hard to reach behind or pull out
Old January 10, 2010, 07:23 PM   #42
JasonG

I have hidden several items by splitting the inner skin off of a closet door.......
Stay away from toilet tanks, its a common drug hiding spot.
"Bones, what killed him ?" "Acute lead poisoning Jim....." ST-TOS#61
Old January 10, 2010, 07:29 PM   #43
hoytinak

Cut out the inside of a bible, stick the gun inside there and put it in the nightstand drawer or on the shelf with the rest of the books.
Old January 10, 2010, 08:21 PM   #44
bigghoss

Quote:
Cut out the inside of a bible, stick the gun inside there and put it in the nightstand drawer or on the shelf with the rest of the books.
that one is too obvious. already been thought of.

maybe you could break it down and hide each part separately. the individual parts will be easier to hide. but then again with several parts that's more opportunities for them to find out you have a gun and look for the other parts. you could probably take the guide rod and recoil spring with you to work and leave the rest at home.
Old January 10, 2010, 09:48 PM   #45
isanchez2008

Quote:
Cut out the inside of a bible
I'm not very religious but I don't think I could bring myself to cut up a bible. Maybe the book Living History but I don't know how that would even find its way into my house. Anyway thanks for all the replies, useful or not
Old January 10, 2010, 10:54 PM   #46
BGutzman

My gun is almost always on my person, even in my house and if its not on me its within easy reach without taking a step.

Until my teenagers leave home I wont stash anywhere thats not under lock and key.

Old January 10, 2010, 11:48 PM   #47
qwik

There is a site called something like hide in plain site, looked like neat stuff. Clock with secert opening, fake electrical wall devices and such. Places where some people will not stick their hands.
Old January 13, 2010, 07:21 AM   #48
wpage

access

Between box spring and mattress...
Obvious but handy in a hurry.

12 ga in hall closet up high...
Guy down the street just robbed by two BG posing as road engineers needing assistance, and pushing in.
Old January 13, 2010, 11:41 AM   #49
Dwight55

A single lady I used to work with shared her "secret" one day when we were talking guns.

Being alone, she didn't have a gun safe, . . . but did figure out a good way to hide her .357 snubby.

Inside her bathroom sink, . . . hanging from the bottom of the sink, . . . you have to open the doors, get down on your knees, and reach your hand up to grab it. It lays against the front of the sink, . . . would not probably be seen by bg, . . . but is in a fairly accessable place for someone as short as she is, . . . and you have to really crane your neck to see it at all.

It's one of the few places I would consider from all I've heard or seen.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old January 13, 2010, 12:22 PM   #50
GeauxTide

In strategic places throughout the house.