The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 11, 2007, 10:37 AM   #1
Troponin

Got a fox! Have a pic to share

Shot at night with a red spot light. Unfortunately, the .243 blew it up at 25 yards and the rest of the pup was manged, so I ended up dumping her. Great experience though. If none of you have hunted fox or yotes, give it a try. night hunting is pretty wild and certainly a challenge. I missed an oppertunity at a fox earlier in the evening because of the lighting issue, red light, red fox and scope power was too high.

Had I let her keep coming torwards us, she would have run me over. She was gunning for me and my squeaker (partner was sqeaking with his lips to coax her in).

My .22 mag is still out of commission, so I couldn't use that. It would have been a much better option, especially because most of our distances were no more than 75 yards due to lighting. DUring the day, I wouldn't hesitate to take a 300 yard shot with the .243, but at night, the high powered scope and bullets are just too much.

http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m...irstFox005.jpg
Old January 11, 2007, 11:57 AM   #2
roy reali

Disapointment!

You are refering to a small, four-legged creature.
Old January 11, 2007, 12:31 PM   #3
Troponin

What's your point?
Old January 11, 2007, 12:41 PM   #4
Jseime

I think roy was hoping for a pic of your girlfriend. haha
Old January 11, 2007, 12:45 PM   #5
Troponin

Ohhhh, ok. I thought he was being sensitive to the fact that I shot a fox. LOL I was offended for a moment. Sorry bout that.
Old January 11, 2007, 05:47 PM   #6
castnblast

Cool...I'm going to give the night thing a shot...Figuratively and litterally after deer season is over in February. We got some yotes we need to put a dent on. I may do some night shooting on a gut pile if we whack another hog or deer.
Old January 11, 2007, 06:06 PM   #7
dixierifleman

nice fox. they always make beautiful mounts. my grandpappy has one on its back legs pawin at a rattlsnake.
Old January 11, 2007, 08:45 PM   #8
Rembrandt

They do make nice mounts.....had this one done chasing a pheasant in a snow scene.

Old January 11, 2007, 09:04 PM   #9
Troponin

Wow, that's a nice mount. Pretty elabrate.

A gentleman on predator masters has a mount that I would love to do. It's a fox sitting at a fence post. At the top of the fence post is a squirrel and the fox is just sitting there waiting for him to come down. For added scenery, there is a "NO hunting" sign on the fence post.
Old January 11, 2007, 09:29 PM   #10
Fremmer

That's a pretty good idea, Trop. I'd like to have one of those, myself.
Old January 12, 2007, 10:56 AM   #11
harleybabe69

Fox

Hey Fremmer,

Just to let you know, if your planning on hunting fox, you can't have my hayloft spot!!!

I want to keep the pair of foxes I seen down there! I watched them last weekend hunting down a rabbit - very interesting when they hunt in pairs
Old January 12, 2007, 12:20 PM   #12
Fremmer

Can I use it for a late-season doe?!?
Old January 12, 2007, 12:43 PM   #13
castnblast

Wow...that's a gorgeous mount! We don't have reds down south that I know of, but I've seen a bunch of greys... Never shot one though, but that mount gives me some ideas!. I don't think the wife would object to that one...
Old January 13, 2007, 12:30 AM   #14
rem33

Fox can be fun to watch. We had a red fox den 1/4 mile or so from the house and every summer we could watch the pups running around. At times the pups would sit about 1/3 of the way between den and the house watching the dogs, and our dogs would sit on the lawn and watch the fox pups. Amazing the amount of rabbit bones if front of the den. If the right opportunity was to come along I would be tempted to get a nice hide to go along with the large bobcat I have on the wall, but the home stuff is for watching, at least for me.

Beautiful mount Rembrandt.
Old January 13, 2007, 08:19 AM   #15
UniversalFrost

Rembrandt who is the taxedermist that did that mount for you? I would really like to get his name and number for a couple of pelts I have in the freezer.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old January 13, 2007, 09:26 AM   #16
GreyFox

Congrats on your first, very nice scene too rembrandt.... just make sure you guys leave this fox alone
Old January 13, 2007, 11:14 AM   #17
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Back 50 years ago, DeWitt County (Cuero), Texas, had a $2 bounty on foxes and coyotes. My uncle and I did a bit of night hunting. I made a few dollars off of the deal.

We don't have many foxes in Terlingua. Greys, and the rather rare kit foxes. These latter are more slender-bodied, and the legs are long in proportion to the body. So, I mostly leave the foxes alone. They have enough trouble from the coyotes. I have a couple of foxes who reside on my land; they are good "garbage men" in cleaning up table scraps.

Even if the .243 makes too much of a mess for a complete mount, skinning out and salting the tail of a fox or coyote makes a good "flag" on a porch post.

Art
Old January 13, 2007, 11:33 AM   #18
springmom

Nice fox! I can imagine a .243 would make a mess, though.

I like the idea of the tail...unless you were saying it was mangy :barf: too.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old January 13, 2007, 12:12 PM   #19
Rembrandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalFrost
Rembrandt who is the taxedermist that did that mount for you? I would really like to get his name and number for a couple of pelts I have in the freezer.
Henderson Taxidermy did the work, also have matching lamp tables to go with the coffee table. Bevel cut glass adds a classy look. Cases were built by Jim Cox (DSM, Iowa)....some of the finest cabinet work I've ever seen.

DON HENDERSON TAXIDERMIST 641-487-7590
68330 120th St
Zearing, IA 50278

http://www.coxcustomcases.com/

Old January 13, 2007, 06:14 PM   #20
Foxman

Couple of reds little vixen and big dog.

Old January 14, 2007, 04:54 PM   #21
Fat White Boy

Ya gotta be careful of the high velocity rounds at close range for varmints if you want to keep the pelt. A .22-250 will cut a coyote in half at short range. If you want to save the hides and the critters are coming in that close, a .22 LR is all you need...
Old January 18, 2007, 08:06 PM   #22
gunner16

Location: I LIVE IN UPSTATE NEW YORK IN THE WOODS UP ON A MOUNTAIN
Nice

Nice Fox! Where Did You Get Him...
Old January 28, 2007, 01:15 PM   #23
Foxman

He was sneakin round my buddies back lot after chickens and we sat out with some cookies and coffee. He made the mistake of getting too cocksure and I shot him with the 222 at about 100yds off the rail while still sitting there, we finished our coffee and went over picked him up.
He was 27# and my buddy got it taxidermied and gave it to me as a thankyou, he had lost over 20 chickens to it and they were fancy ones.