The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 9, 2007, 11:08 PM   #1
Blacktail_Slayer

Coyote near thick stuff. Help please

The only area I have near by to hunt is timber land, that means for calling coyotes my best spots are either clear cuts or on a stretch of land under powerlines. The clearcuts are either right next to the main road and houses with dogs so I tend to stay away from em. The area under the powerlines is a swath of land about 20 to 30 yards wide that goes for miles east to west. Everything along the edge of it is extremely thick (visibility of less than 10 feet) jack firs and under brush. But this area is full of coyotes. I have yet to acctually call one in, the wind is just about always going straight into the brush. My problem is there is no way to tell if there is a coyote less than 30 or 40 yards away or none at all. There are good trails and everything along the open area under the powerlines, but I havent seen much, I did find fresh tracks that came up behind me over mine in the snow, it busted me and was gone without me knowing. Any tips or ideas for help, i would greatly appreciate. (I have tried close calling in small approx 50 by 50 yard clearings but i just cant stand not being able to see very far so yea)
Old February 9, 2007, 11:14 PM   #2
robc

You need a partner. Someone to watch in back, call from in front, have different ideas, scout twice as much area, keep you interested, etc.
Old February 9, 2007, 11:32 PM   #3
Blacktail_Slayer

Yea i only have one buddy that i would consider going up with and we have but he is tied down by family a lot. Another thing that gets my skin crawl'n is walking along this thick stuff, there are always 2 sets of cougar tracks where ever i go, one i can tell is a tom (a big mo fo too) and the other is a female, the breeding season is now so whereever i find the females tracks, theres the males too. I heard a growl about 20 yards into the thick stuff once and that sure sent me for a loop.
Old February 9, 2007, 11:32 PM   #4
Gbro

Electronic call are legal, so i would think most other states would allow them too. they can be placed out in the middle of the power line, Use an elevated shooting position.
You can leave your tee shirt out there every night, just swap them out. That way the critter's Will get used to you.
I know it works for bear hunters in my area.
Old February 9, 2007, 11:41 PM   #5
Blacktail_Slayer

I have a remote caller but it only is loud enough for maybe a little more than 100 yards, and the remote is only good at about 20. I have some calls for my cd player but those speakers arnt any louder. I have looked at mimi-audio-amps but dont like the idea of not being able to instantly modify my calling.
Old February 10, 2007, 12:08 AM   #6
rantingredneck

There's a big thicket on the property that I deer hunt. It was clearcut about 8 or 9 years ago and is one helluva big thicket now. It is full of coyotes. There are a few scattered trees left in it that were not cut and in those trees we've built deer stands. I've killed three coyotes from them in the past few years. I use a heavy round in .30-06 or .50 cal muzzleloader or a 12 ga slug to buck the brush (disregard this advice if you plan to keep the pelts......lol). I've managed to call them in using a doe estrous bleat and a rodent squeaker and woodpecker electronic call. Got one within 10 yards of the stand.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old February 10, 2007, 07:53 AM   #7
taylorce1

Trust me that call may even be too loud. Coyotes have way better hearing than we do, do you start it out on full blast? If you do you might want to only turn it up a quarter of the way and let it call for a while before you start cranking up the volume. The reason I say this is because I made the same mistake when I got my first electronic call.

I pretty much stick to mouth calls now because my electronic call weighs about 20lbs. I don't like to carry it around much, these new Fox Pro callers look good though. I've only shot about 5 coyotes while calling, just because most of the times I went I ran the spotlight. It sure is exciting when you get one to come in on run and he stops about 30 feet from where you are sitting.

I don't get to call as often as I like. Unfortunately the best time to call coyotes falls on the busiest times out at the ranch. We are always moving cattle around to fall pastures and harvesting grain or hay. This winter has been extremely cold compared to past ones so I know the pelts are good, I just spend my nights on weekends helping dad to keep the calves alive and not calling coyotes.
Old February 11, 2007, 12:33 PM   #8
Desertfox

Second the idea that the call may even be too loud. Those Yotes can hear a helluva lot better than you give them credit for.

Start off very soft and work your way after a few minutes up and down the volume scale. Too loud will spook em away alot of times.

Thick brush means you should be lookin down wind. They will try and wind you. Look that direction to catch em trying. Happy yote slaying.
Old February 11, 2007, 06:55 PM   #9
The Gamemaster

Put up a tree stand on the power line and use a decoy like a stuffed rabbit.

.17 HRM or .22 Mag should do the trick at that range.

Why would you say that it is good for deer hunting and not for Coyote?
Old February 12, 2007, 12:44 AM   #10
truthfulhawk

coyotes close

If those dogs you were talking about are penned, try hunting the area regardless. Yotes will even come to dogs (especially in heat).

As for the powerlines, I hunt some narrow areas myself. I build ground blinds at multiple locations...keeps me hidden, but you may have to move hides after some kills or flubs. I also use a decoy. Try calling softer to begin with. You may also want to try some howls or pup in distress type calls, sometimes those calls will pull em in faster with a little less discretion.

Play the wind, bur consider going as scent free as possible or use cover scents. If you can legally bait, try guts and scraps.

I hunt roads, powerlines, fields, anywhere I can...if the coyotes are there, you can adapt to hunt them.

If your shots are really close, you might try a shotgun and a partner.
Old February 12, 2007, 12:46 AM   #11
truthfulhawk

caliber

I whole heartedly disagree with the suggestion of using a .17 or .22 These are too small for a yote.

I have one friend who uses a .204, but that is the smallest we use. I use a .223. I have also used a .308, .270, .280, and other large loads for areas that I was trimming predators instead of collecting pelts. a .12 gauge and some #4 buckshot work well too.
Old February 12, 2007, 05:41 PM   #12
Desertfox

That .17hmr aint your daddy's .22.
that little bullet is smokin when it leaves the barrel. I would say ok to the .17 out to 100yards or so but no way ever to the .22.

Just my opinion. It is shared by multitudes though.