The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 23, 2001, 02:36 PM   #1
LKC

VIBRATORS!!! I don't believe this but....it appears that the MMM'ers of California feel that they have a right to "keep and bear vibrators".

Don't believe me? Here check it out...maybe someone would like to send them a copy of the Bill of Rights and point out to them that this right does not exist in OUR BofR!

http://www.mmmsfbayarea.org/

Have fun and play nice.

KC
Old May 23, 2001, 02:58 PM   #2
Jim March

Ummm...KC? One detail you're missing...

WE DAMN WELL DO HAVE A RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR VIBRATORS!

OK, some remedial history of the Bill of Rights is in order.

At the time our Constitution and BoR was being crafted, there was a strong opinion floating around NOT to do a BoR at all. Not because the anti-BoR people were against those rights, but because they feared that later generations might mistakenly feel that the BoR lists ALL the rights of free citizens of a Constitutional Republic.

That simply ain't the case. The 9th and 10th Amendments helped clarify the idea that rights are inherent in the people but your demonstrated ignorance shows that the anti-BoR approach may have been the better plan. That crowd wanted to limit the powers of government to certain very explicit areas and everything else...well hell, that's what freedom is all about.

Jim
Old May 23, 2001, 03:03 PM   #3
LKC

*ahem*
Allow me to clarify.....haha It is not specifically mentioned in the BofR and is thereby relegated to the states.

IF the states see fit to outlaw them then it is not a federal case....unless someone were to take it to the US Supreme Court and argue it.

I see from their page....and I don't believe much of what they say in the first place....that they think/believe that vibrators are illegal in several states. This would tell me...if they are correct...that there IS no Constitutionally protected right to vibrators. Unless there was no one with enough guts to take it to the federal level at the time these laws were passed.

Am I wrong on this? If I am tell me...I can take it! haha

cya KC

Old May 23, 2001, 03:06 PM   #4
scud

The MMM can stick their vibrators right up their.... oh, wait, they already did.

yes, I couldn't resist the low brow humor. It is not surprising they would use that specific object to "relate" to their peers for obvious reasons though.
Old May 23, 2001, 03:16 PM   #5
LKC

And actually JM... I am not quite as ignorant about the BofR as you may think. I have done quite a bit of studying on that very document and the document that it amends.

Probably the first thing that I learned was the basic precept that you just described. The second thing that I learned was that our first 10 amendments were not amendments at all! They were articles and should be called that to this day. To call them amendments implies that they CHANGED something when in fact the states refused to ratify the Constitution as drawn up. Therefore they became a PART of that document and should not be allowed to be touched.

Is that ok? Please don't assume much...I just don't go into as much detail in a post as I should.

KC
Old May 23, 2001, 03:17 PM   #6
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Dear Million Mom March Members, Marchers and Supporters:

Did you know . . .

SELLING A VIBRATOR IS ILLEGAL IN ALABAMA, ARKANSAS, GEORGIA, OHIO AND TEXAS! MEANWHILE, THE CASUAL SALE OF HANDGUNS IS LEGAL IN ALL 50 STATES.

In addition . . . vibrators, teddy bears, water guns and even stun guns, in other words, virtually every consumer item sold in stores can be recalled for manufacture defects. Handguns can not, they are not subject to Consumer Protect Safety Protect standards.

As we prepare to spend our second Mother's Day away from the traditional events of the day it may help to remember why we continue to march.
Oh Please! There is no such thing as a casual firearms sale. You dont have to fill out state and federal paperwork to buy a Dcell dildo... And Consumer Protection?
No Recalls? Did I miss something here? I have NEVER heard of a modern gun company refusing to satisfy a customer with a problem... I have seen "Recalls" printed in gun rags where the company faced problem - took it on the chin - and took back and repaired everything that was sent it.
You will not see any better customer service in any industry and this isnt something that required government to control.
What pisses me off is the bad light they are casting the gun industry in. You can not find better people than those in OUR industry.
Old May 23, 2001, 03:19 PM   #7
LKC

HAHAHA Good post.

I noticed that they don't have a warning on there about sticking electrical appliances IN your body either....Hmmmm

Kinda makes you wonder what they consider 'safe'?!

KC
Old May 23, 2001, 04:25 PM   #8
Noban

Sent this little note off to her.

I can see why you feel that guns should be subject to the same standards as dildos, as they share similar traits. For example, neither product is harmful unless used incorrectly, neither is very effective if a battery goes dead, and both are easily concealed (with the advantage going to the dildo). In addition, both products are idealy suited for the bedroom and can often be found in the bedside table - they just have slightly different applications.

However, I would hate to have to defend myself, my family or even you with a dildo. My handguns were designed to operate simply and efficiently, and would be compromised by adding feathers, batteries or switches, unlike your dildo. I agree with strict regulation of teddy bears and other toys - they're marketed to children. I don't know why they regulate dildos and don't really care. Firearms are for adults like myself and millions of others who take personal responsibility for handling dangerous implements. You stick to the dildo and we'll all be safer.
Old May 23, 2001, 04:47 PM   #9
Mr. James

Well struck, Noban.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old May 23, 2001, 05:05 PM   #10
DorGunR

Noban
You Sir are THE MAN.
Vietnam 1966/67 - 1969/70
Old May 23, 2001, 07:20 PM   #11
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Noban... if you get a reply - forward that to me please... I wish I could see the reactions that got!
Old May 23, 2001, 07:33 PM   #12
RWK

Noban

A tip of the old cap to you sir
Old May 23, 2001, 07:48 PM   #13
Gunslinger

Gee thanks Noban, thanks a lot. I was just getting over this back surgery and now I think you have caused me to re-injure myself.

Reading that post was painful it was so funny.
Old May 23, 2001, 08:29 PM   #14
dZ

if a vibrator was part of a militiaman's standard kit then citizens have a right to bear them in a well regulated fashion.
Old May 23, 2001, 09:28 PM   #15
Gunslinger

Guys, guys, guys. Before we beat them up too bad over this let's at least try to be fair. I seriously doubt if even they feel it is safe for anyone to have one with more than a ten battery capacity.........or God, at least I hope!
Old May 23, 2001, 09:36 PM   #16
GSB

You are all missing the point that the Constitution was referring to the ability of the individual states to own vibrators (stored in an appropriate armory... um... vibratory) for times of emergency. The simple fact is that the Founders could not have conceived of these devices of mass stimulation (some of them fully automatic, battery operated ones), and would have themselves moved to outlaw them.

I suppose those of you who support this mythical "individual right" to own a vibrator want children to be able to walk into any corner store and buy such a device?
Old May 23, 2001, 09:39 PM   #17
C.R.Sam

'Slinger.....some are fully automatic, run on AC house power and can go indefinately.....lessen you be in kalifornia.

Sam
Old May 23, 2001, 09:41 PM   #18
GSB

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the vibrator. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your vibrator therefore be your constant companion of your walks."

--- Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1785. The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, (Memorial Edition) Lipscomb and Bergh, editors.
Old May 23, 2001, 09:58 PM   #19
sig970

Personal sidenote

In my 15 years in emergency room settings, I have to report that I have seen many more Dildo induced injuries, than Firearms related injuries. Now, I have to admit that I do not work in a federally funded trauma center, just a (small?) medical center with a 50 bed ER. People do show up Shot, but as I said, dildo injuries, along with coke bottles, flashlites, curling irons, eightballs, lightbulbs, Ken doll heads, assorted fruits& vegetables, 35mm film canisters, crayons, candles, condoms filled with drugs(hopefully intact), and the odd kitchen utensil, are much more frequent.

Should we follow the lead of the Million Mom Marchers, and ask for regulations on any item that has the potential for injury? If a person comes to the ER, wearing her MMM shirt, and has a dildo stuck up her, or her husbands *ss, should I bring up the aspect of registration, and a 5 day waiting period for Dildos? Should we close the Dildo loopHOLE? Should we appoint a commitee to assure america that there are no casual dildo sales? Do we need a regulatory group to make sure every Dildo is manufactured safely, that it has a proper locking system, and to make sure they are stored safely in the home. I like the idea of a smart Dildo, one that will only vibrate in it owners hands. I also have no problem about not taking a Dildo into any federal building and/or courthouse.

Funny or not, everytime I visit the MMM site I always leave with a puzzled look on my face. I am the first one to always include the word RESPONSIBLE with firearm ownership, and use, but they are way off the mark. I want to know where they get their statistics. Read the statistics about firearm related crime dropping in the UK since guns were banned. I lived in England for 3 years, and have friends over there still. Those statistics are flawed IMHO.

Hope I didn't offend anyone with the Dildo rant.
Old May 23, 2001, 10:23 PM   #20
Monkeyleg

Any stats on gerbils?

Dick
Old May 23, 2001, 10:58 PM   #21
inGobwetrust

Have there been any tests done using vibrators and ballistic gelatin? I'm sure Marshall Sanow must have done some research. Vibrators tend to come in larger calibers but suffer from poor velocity as compared to common handgun calibers though most models have a very high ballistic coeficient and usually achieve 100% penetration! Accuracy also tends to be outstanding as they almost always hit where they are aimed.

Sorry.
Old May 23, 2001, 11:08 PM   #22
PATH

I can't believe all this by the MMM! Only in amerika!

'How MacPherson Held The Floor'
Old May 23, 2001, 11:19 PM   #23
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

sig970 is correct as usual about the injuries between the dildo and the firearm. But you didn't mention the raw eggs, man-where they don't come to the ED for several days.

Byron Quick
Old May 24, 2001, 12:21 AM   #24
AnotherPundit

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...item=590968984
Old May 24, 2001, 02:17 AM   #25
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

LawDog

Bona na Croin

The LawDog Files