The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 31, 2002, 07:53 AM   #1
Rickmeister

Armalite AR-10A2 Carbine. How good (or bad) is it?

Greetings.

I'm thinking of buying an AR-10A2 Carbine, but I don't know as much as I'd like about it. What is your general impression of it? And what's the difference between a carbine and a rifle in this case? Other ARs fire the same caliber and have similar bbls, and yet they're called rifles.
Old May 31, 2002, 09:08 AM   #2
Steve Smith

The AR10A2 rifle has a20" barrel. The carbine has a 16" barrel. That's the difference.

A .308 with a 16" barrel does nothing for me.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old May 31, 2002, 09:32 AM   #3
RikWriter

I like the carbine length AR10s...they are very handy and compact, yet pack a big punch. Unless you'll be doing a significant amount of shooting at ranges over 400 yards, you will never miss the extra 4 inches of barrel.
Personally, I prefer the A4 version with the flattop receiver (the version I personally own), since I plan on putting optics on the gun when I can afford it.
Old May 31, 2002, 09:36 AM   #4
dZ

the flames from a 16 inch .308 postban must add at least 3 points of CDI factor

check out the SR-25 forums at
http://www.biggerhammer.net/stoner/wwwboard/
Old May 31, 2002, 11:07 AM   #5
fix

I've got the A4 Carbine. Muzzle blast is significant. Flash is really not that bad. Accuracy out to 800 does not suffer. I imagine that past 800, you'll experience some problems due to the round going sub-sonic and subsequently sinking. The only complaint I have regarding it is magazine availability. I currently have 3245 rounds through it without a single failure. I give it a quick cleaning every 500 rounds, and a thorough cleaning every 1000 rounds. I've fired pretty much everything through it. It likes South African surplus the best. I have been very pleased with this rifle. It averages just under an inch with good match ammo, about 1.5 with surplus. I have shot a .75 inch group with surplus though. I use the GGG MAD flip up rear sight and the GGG flip up front sight. Currently I have an ACOG TA01B on it.
Old May 31, 2002, 08:56 PM   #6
LevelHead

I used to have an AR10(TC) (16" target). I miss it - awesome little rifle.
Old June 1, 2002, 08:09 AM   #7
JIH

It just has a 16" barrel.

You basically lose a little velocity, sight radius, and weight and gain muzzle blast.

They're good guns... pretty handy. I don't like going short on a .308, but that's my problem.
Old June 1, 2002, 05:43 PM   #8
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

Love mine so much I will one day name it (something only reserved for best of the best in my collection). The only problem with that for the moment is I haven’t yet come up with something appropriate.

I cannot say enough good about it … a very reliable performer!

Muzzle blast has never been an issue for me. The factory M/ brake dose an excellent job of reducing both recoil and flash.

I would highly recommend either the 16” or the 20” variants A-2 or A-4 dependent upon your intended overall use.

I selected an A-2 16” as I wanted something in my collection that I would go to first if I needed a “no nonsense” battle rifle.

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com