The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 1, 2022, 08:48 AM   #1
wild cat mccane

Did Federal discontinue Micro HST 150gr 9mm?

Hi,

Was looking to buy some, but am finding that Federal might have discontinued Micro HST in 150gr? I've noticed a few places to buy have it listed as "discontinued." Strangely, others have 20rnd boxes of 147gr as "Micro" thought 147gr HST has never had "micro" as part of the name.

Anyone heard if 150gr Micro is gone for good or not?
Old August 1, 2022, 09:12 AM   #2
lll Otto lll

I think Federal could answer your question the best....

https://www.federalpremium.com/contactus
Old August 1, 2022, 11:28 AM   #3
wild cat mccane

Good call. Will post back their response.

I hope 150gr isn't gone and 20rnd boxes of normal 147gr is just magically the new "Micro"
Old August 1, 2022, 12:13 PM   #4
wild cat mccane

Federal got back.

HST Micro 150gr is still in production.
HST 147gr is not labeled Micro.

Lots of big websites have this wrong (Midway, Opticsplanet) as discontinued.

A few calling the 147gr 20rnd boxes "micro" though it's not:
https://ammoseek.com/ammo/9mm-luger/...kw=HST%20micro

Just have to wait for more production I guess.
Old August 1, 2022, 02:26 PM   #5
TunnelRat

Did Federal discontinue Micro HST 150gr 9mm?

I seem to remember you sharing results that showed it performed very well. Maybe the word got out and it sold out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; August 1, 2022 at 08:26 PM. Reason: I can’t spell
Old December 21, 2022, 04:57 PM   #6
wild cat mccane

Anyone seen this around lately?

I'm starting to doubt what Federal said. Been trying to get a new stash, but I can't find one box...
Old December 22, 2022, 04:57 AM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Catching up to this thread got me wondering, perhaps various web sellers are saying "discontinued" not to mean production was ended, but to mean they have discontinued carrying the item in stock, for what ever reason makes sense to them.

Possibilities include following the WalMart practice where, if they don't sell "enough" of an item, the drop carrying it and use the shelf space for something else, or possibly they cannot obtain a regular supply and have just decided not to bother with it anymore. Or possibly, something else....
Old December 22, 2022, 12:24 PM   #8
wild cat mccane

I'm using ammoseek, so I'm not even considering physical shelf stock. It's not that...

"Micro" is also not in the Vista Outdoor controversial "LE" 50rnd box and has only been in the 20 round plastic box.
Old December 24, 2022, 10:46 AM   #9
Fishbed77

Quote:
Anyone seen this around lately?

I'm starting to doubt what Federal said. Been trying to get a new stash, but I can't find one box...
Likely made in runs and you’ll need to wait for production to be spooled back up. Probably in line after numerous other more popular and profitable loadings.
Old December 25, 2022, 02:59 PM   #10
fastbolt

Before covid arrived, the major ammo companies were often said to schedule production runs a couple years in advance.

Predictably, if a sudden 'run' on one of their product lines emptied dealer shelves and the distributor pipeline, it could result in the product appearing to dry up until the next scheduled production run. If the vendor demand is relatively low for an 'annual' production run, at least compared to other product lines, that may cause the next scheduled production run to be smaller.

Trying to catch up to some unexpected market demand may take months, if not more than a year, for a major maker. In the meantime, rumors and bare shelves may create all manner of fruitless speculation.

I remember when the Speer GDHP 135gr +P load was back-ordered on a state contract. The commercial market had made it a hot seller, with existing inventory stocks selling out. LE agencies who had already placed orders on a major state contract (CA) were told that it was going to take several months for the company to be able to begin filling previous orders. I think it took more than 8 months before our order arrived.

https://www.federalpremium.com/searc...o&lang=default