The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 30, 2022, 07:39 PM   #1
TunnelRat

Ruger Mk Series: Extractor Spring

Hi all,
I have a Ruger Mk III with around 1500 rounds fired through it over a number of years (I don’t shoot it that much). It’s been a good pistol. Lately I’ve seen some failures where spent cases seem to be getting stuck in the chamber. This has happened with Norma and Federal ammunition. I disassembled and cleaned the pistol, including the chamber. The issues persist.

When a case gets stuck I can push in on the extractor on the outside and then pulling rearward on the bolt I get the case to extract. It doesn’t seem to require a lot of effort when I do this. Could I be at a point where a new extractor spring might help? The extractor doesn’t seem to have much tension, but in all honesty I’m not sure how much tension the extractor for a 22 needs to have.

Thanks,
TR
Old December 30, 2022, 11:47 PM   #2
Steve in PA

Tandemkross Eagle Talon Extractor and new spring.
Old December 31, 2022, 01:31 AM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

If you feel competent to do it, before you spend any money on new parts, remove the extractor and spring from the bolt, clean them and the bolt recess they fit in. Reassemble and test to see if that makes any difference.
Sometimes, that's all that's needed.

I'd have to look up if there is a plunger under the extractor (I know my 10/22 does) but if so, clean it too, and for gosh sake don't lose that little bugger!

Lots of aftermarket parts out there, Ruger might even have some for that model, if you need parts.
Old December 31, 2022, 02:42 AM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

Should be a spring, plunger and extractor. They do sell aftermarket extractors that supposedly offer a better grip on the shells, but I never had any trouble with the stock versions on any of my MkII pistols.

I agree that cleaning the extractor hook and that area is a good first step. You can get a lot of carbon buildup there.

There's not much spring tension on the extractor, you can easily move the extractor with the tip of your finger. It should move freely through it's range of swing and if you pull it to the outside of the bolt it should snap inward smartly when released and make a nice click.

The end of the extractor hook should be nice and sharp, not rounded.

Once you get the pistol apart, the bolt is pretty easy to strip. Just pay attention as there are springs and small parts that can easily go flying during disassembly or get lost before reassembly.
Old December 31, 2022, 08:41 AM   #5
railroader

Volquartsen makes a very good extractor too. Also the Federal ammo I see locally isn't the greatest. It has under powered rounds and some that don't go off.
Old December 31, 2022, 09:14 AM   #6
TunnelRat

Ruger Mk Series: Extractor Spring

Thanks for the advice so far. I think when I disassembled and cleaned it I didn’t fully take apart the bolt. I’ll start there and if that doesn’t work maybe consider an aftermarket part. I don’t remember these issues in the past (this was generally a boringly reliable pistol), so at least at one point the stock configuration seemed to work well and I’d like to keep it that way, if possible.
Old December 31, 2022, 02:48 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
clean them and the bolt recess they fit in.
I am going to add a little more emphasis to this, particularly about cleaning the bolt recess. Everyone easily recognizes issues with the extractor hook, and of course a bent/broken/worn hook needs replacing or repair.

What I think you should also look at is the back end, and what it fits into. Crud , even rust, can build up in there, and restrict the movement. This drag or binding can seem like a weak spring, can move "normally" under your finger, but not work under the regular spring tension alone.

I'm not saying this IS your problem, I'm saying it might be, and its something to check, and clean because you have a problem, and cleaning will either solve the problem, or let you check that possibility off the troubleshooting list.

I had a similar problem with my 16th birthday present, an old Winchester Model 12. Gun worked fine, would extract unfired shell, but the stars were lined up just right so it would not extract fired empties reliably.

The extractor wasn't frozen but it would barely move. Soaked it with penetrating oil for a couple days, then disassembled the bolt and cleaned it all, reinstalled the parts and that gun has extracted flawlessly for the last 50 years I've had it. The problem was gunk had built up in the recess, restricting extractor free movement and robbing the spring of its power.

One more piece of advice, if you ever have a gun with extractor problems like worn or broken extractor or spring when you buy replacement parts, buy TWO. If it happened once, it can happen again, and just because you can get the needed parts now doesn't mean they will be available years from now, So get a spare set, and label them and store them somewhere they won't get lost if not needed for 20 years. If you never need them, great, but if you do need them, you'll have them. (unless you're like me, and can't find them, )
Old January 1, 2023, 09:58 PM   #8
bamaranger

cleaning

I'm betting it needs a good detail cleaning. Especially since the pistol isn't shot "that much". Oil and crud can gunk up and cause problems even on, perhaps even especially on, a gun that is lightly used but other wise considered clean.
Old January 1, 2023, 11:47 PM   #9
TunnelRat

Absent disassembling the bolt I scrubbed the heck out of it last time. Again when I get a chance to disassemble the bolt I will.
Old January 2, 2023, 03:11 AM   #10
bamaranger

scrub

You might see some improvement with an external cleaning as some solvent or lube gets behind the extractor and works on the plunger and spring. But I'd disassemble the extractor at first opportunity, your enemy is gunk in the plunger recess and on the spring and plunger. I've never done it, but bound to be some small parts under tension. When in doubt, disassemble inside of plastic bag and avoid the armorer's crawl.