The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 7, 2001, 11:03 AM   #1
Glamdring

NOT concerned with IPSC. Nor with 9x23.

Supported chamber/brrl.
Old June 7, 2001, 11:38 AM   #2
JohnK

I have many 38 Super loads with 124 and 147gr bullets in the database at my web site. Pretty much all the manufacturers list such data, pick which ever brand of powder and chances are they have data for the 38 Super.

http://www.handloads.com
Molan Labe!
Old June 7, 2001, 10:29 PM   #3
dick w. holliday

my NRA action pistol load in a nowlin barreled - comped racegun is 5.2 gr 231 behind a Lee tumble lubed 125 gr RN lead bullet....Dick
Old June 8, 2001, 10:17 PM   #4
Glamdring

Sorry wasn't clear. My manuals have loading data for the Super but they are kinda soft. European manuals list better external ballistics for the 9x19

Are there any manuals that list loads for the Super in a modern gun with modern barrel?
Old June 9, 2001, 02:23 PM   #5
JohnK

The Vithavuori and Hodgdon manuals seem to have the highest listed velocity for the 38 Super. But you have to look closely, some publishers, like VV for example, use long test barrels which don't duplicate what you get from a typical 5" gun.

http://www.handloads.com
Molan Labe!
Old June 9, 2001, 03:13 PM   #6
Robert the41MagFan

Going to suggest that you purchase a couple more reloading manuals (suppose to have a few anyways!). There are tons of manuals with +P 38 Super data available. If you are looking for load data beyond these manuals, then yes, you are looking at the world of IPSC loads and yes, they are dangerous and yes, if you are not careful a KBM is almost guaranteed.

But if you insist, here is what you seek.

http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass/ipscload.htm

Good luck.

Robert
Old June 9, 2001, 09:37 PM   #7
Glamdring

I think part of the problem with the VV manual is that they use chambers cut to minimum dimensions which gives higher pressure and thus usually higher velocity than a typical chamber.

Robert: I have hmm lets see only five loading manuals so far. So I should add Hodgdon to the list.

I wish all loading manuals would list pressure, chamber dimension [ie min or max or avg], brrl length, OAL cartridge length, and temp [what else?]. They leave out so many variable that are important IMHO.
Old June 10, 2001, 12:23 AM   #8
Robert the41MagFan

Glamdring,

I've got six manuals. You can never have too many of them. Even with as many as I have, still get stumped ever now and then. Have the Hodgdon reloading manual and it is pretty good. Very comprehensive and would recommend. Just got a P220 in 38 Super about three weeks ago and that is when I found the site above with the load data. I'll probably try some after cross referencing them with other manuals. Some look like real screamer.

Robert