The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old May 20, 2013, 09:07 AM   #26
deepcreek

Layered security. One benefit of layered security is it give people time to prepare. nosy yard fence, yappy dog, storm door, etc. All good security systems have layers. I live in a decent part of town so my security is low, but I could be beefed up pretty quick.

If I ever felt like I had to wear a gun around the house I would move.
Old May 20, 2013, 09:20 AM   #27
Pilot

Some of the worst home invasions happen in the best neighborhoods. I recall one a few years ago in Connecticut. It was a horror show.

I am not paranoid, but I am prepared. While I do not expect my house to burn down, I do have homeowners insurance.
Old May 20, 2013, 09:25 AM   #28
arch308

I live alone in a quiet neighborhood. I'm also one of those guys that refuses to carry at home. I do have guns stashed around the house, most every room, and feel pretty secure. When company comes with children the guns get put in the safe except the 1911 hidden in my coffee table. (Trust me, kids will never find it). I have been considering motion sensitive lighting.
A dog would be a good idea but I don't want the responsibility.
Old May 20, 2013, 09:39 AM   #29
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
Having a dog, bars on the windows, home Alarms (even the cheap ones that you can install on your doors/windows), trim your bushes low, replace your garage entrance door with a steel door and a deadbolt (if you have a garage), Insure your exterior is well lit, Cell Phone stays on you at all times, Hidden backup weapons, Make sure the others(extras) are not accessible to someone else (locked, Safe etc), Always have a contingency plan that includes escape routes for scenarios and is known thoroughly by your family, replace interior doors with steel doors, Store and chain lock all ladders and any item that can be used for gaining access to a second story, don't even tell your children about a planned vacation if possible, have someone to mow your grass or shovel your drive as well as get your mail for you when on vacation, Have motion censored lights in addition to regular lighting, Always have a hand free when leaving or entering your home after dark as well as key out, keep mace on your key chain, Post beware of dog and home alarm signs around the yard, install the metal heavy screen doors with bars (they are not easy to get open and delay entry) and form a neighborhood watch.
I'm sorry, if you really need to do all that to feel safe where you live, you need to move - you might as well live in prison -at least your food and medical is free. Living in that constant state of fear and apprehension is not good from a mental viewpoint. Unless you live in a drug-infested Section 8 neighborhood, in which case you most likely would not be posting here, that is a little bit over the top and verging on paranoia
Old May 20, 2013, 09:52 AM   #30
deepcreek

^ lol

Reminds me of when I lived in Central America bars on windows are standard if you do not have them you are poor and very bad things will happen to you. Never live a pattern, never let your neighbor know when your place is empty, never ending state of maximum security..

After I left I realized how much mental energy gets spend on security.. and it is just a way of life people are born and die in it. Crazy.
Old May 20, 2013, 10:08 AM   #31
MLeake

I am scratching my head, trying to figure out how stashing guns around the house is less labor intensive, risky, or stressful than simply carrying one on one's person.

Like I said, I don't even think about it, just like I don't think about seat belts or motorcycle helmets. I just put them on as a matter of course.
Old May 20, 2013, 10:32 AM   #32
deepcreek

Quote:
I am scratching my head, trying to figure out how stashing guns around the house is less labor intensive, risky, or stressful than simply carrying one on one's person.
Most of my handgun with bullets weight around 3lbs, I don't want to carry that around all evening.. Throw in some speed loaders of mags and that's about the weight of a half gallon of water.
I was a carpenter for years, I hate lugging around tools and weight on my belt. Their is no way I want to do that every night.

If I was really that worried about security I would create 5-10 layers and lean an AK with 2 mags in a handy place which is more firepower and secure then carrying a handgun and 3 layers of security.

It's nice to have security but I live in Denver Colorado not Syria or Colombia.
Old May 20, 2013, 10:44 AM   #33
Jim243

Quote:
I just put them on as a matter of course.
My alarm system is a 80 lbs German Sheppard and a compact 45 ACP that is on me 24/7. With the right holster and belt you don't even know it is there.

Jim
Old May 20, 2013, 10:47 AM   #34
kirbinster

I live in a very safe suburban area; and I am not about to carry a gun at home, even though that is the only place in NJ I can legally carry one. That said I think I am fairly prepared. I have a very good alarm system. In addition to that I have two Siberian Huskies that stir and let me know anytime anyone gets close to the house day or night. Further, we have a child gate to keep them out of our bedroom. So, in the middle of the night the alarm and dogs would sound before anyone got in. The gate would further delay them. By that time I would have my fully loaded G22 out of the biometric safe that is three feet from my bed.

Now I did wonder a little when that was my only weapon what I would do when I was on the third floor in my office if someone broke in. Now my 1911 is in a small drawer safe in my desk two feet to my left.
Old May 20, 2013, 11:01 AM   #35
RBid

Home Invasion! Are you prepared? Really?

The "living in a constant state of fear" language is not an accurate description of how most of us live.

Perhaps this will help clear things up:
"I just don't understand carrying a wallet at home. I don't live at the store. I won't need to whip out my driver's license and debit card. Wallets are bulky, and I can't sit right with one in my pocket. It's uncomfortable."

Same thing.

I put on my EDC stuff as part of my morning routine. I carry keys without expecting to drive in my living room. I carry a wallet without expecting to be pulled over at home. I put on a firearm without thinking, "alien robots are coming!"

It's a very relaxed morning ritual. No stress. No fear. Because of my carry system, no discomfort. This set-up is comfy enough that I have taken naps on lazy Sundays without taking it off.

This is not "living in a constant state of fear".
Old May 20, 2013, 11:18 AM   #36
Tactical Jackalope

Ha...funny thread. I worry about a lot of you.

My gun is on my person..ALL THE TIME. Jammer Six
Quote:
And If I needed to carry at home, I'd move.
Not going anywhere

It's on my 4:00 at all times. When I'm showering or asleep, it's the farthest from me. A whopping 2ft.

Am I normal? I don't know...but it doesn't bother me at all. Never even think about it.
Old May 20, 2013, 11:20 AM   #37
kraigwy

RBid covered it fairly well.

It's (my 642) is just part of my everyday pocket carries, wallet, pocket knife, keys, etc.

I live in a rather safe place, long way from town. But I don't have to worry about forgetting my gun if I go somewhere just like I don't forget my wallet and keys.

I've run across rattlers in my yard every now and then, I don't have to go find a gun to dispatch them.

A couple years ago I came out of the shop and noticed a fox was crawling under the wire to my chicken pin, I didn't have to go hunt up a gun.

I doubt I'll have to deal with a home invasion, but if I do, I wont have to hunt up a gun regardless where I am in the house.

Another thing, we keep talking about living in a safe rural area. If you turn on the news and do a bit of research the safe rural areas are the places where there is a lot of meth activities, more so then in the cities.

Not too long ago there was a nice safe rural community area just north of Cody WY. No need to carry there right.........well that was until these too guys decided they wanted the guys Mercedes, to get the keys they went in the safe rural house and killed three people.

Its not about being paranoid, its about being ready, no different then seat belts, MC helmets, life jackets in a boat.

My truck has an irritating buzzard that drives me nuts if I don't buckle my seat belt, I don't have such with my gun so I just keep it in my pocket.

After over 40 years or so of carrying, I never notice it. I would if I didn't.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 20, 2013, 11:22 AM   #38
MLeake

True; at any given moment, unless I am in PT gear, I probably have:

wallet;
truck or motorcycle keys;
cell phone;
folding knife;
and gun with mags.

The knife sees most use cutting twine on hay bales.

Then again, I prefer cargo pants and shorts, and I have good belts and gear.
Old May 20, 2013, 11:24 AM   #39
weblance

I also live in a low crime area. That doesnt stop me from being prepared. I have a large caliber pistol at arms reach every moment my eyes are open. When I sleep, its under my pillow. Having a pistol, and not being able to have instant access to it, is simply foolish.
Old May 20, 2013, 11:27 AM   #40
dayman

I don't usually carry at home. I tend to just wear gymshorts and a tshirt when I'm lounging about the house, so it really wouldn't be convenient. I don't carry my wallet or phone around the house either.
When I'm coming inside for the night my gun goes in the safe, my knife/wallet/light go onto the top of my dresser (next to the safe), and my phone goes on it's charging pad.
We have two large dogs though, and live far enough out in the sticks that somebody would have to try pretty hard to sneak up on the house before I could get my gun from the safe.
Old May 20, 2013, 11:28 AM   #41
Ben Dover

Quote:
Layered security. One benefit of layered security is it give people time to prepare. nosy yard fence, yappy dog, storm door, etc. All good security systems have layers. I live in a decent part of town so my security is low, but I could be beefed up pretty quick.

If I ever felt like I had to wear a gun around the house I would move.
If you need to use your gun, your home securirty "systerm" has failed.

Eiminating sliding glass doors, and replacing them with solid core doors in steel frames and the use of deadbolts. Solid core inside bedroom doors with deadbolts if you still have children at home. High security windows.

A good, professionally installed alarm system, with batterey back up, costs no more than a good rifle and scope.

A yappy little dog, inside the house.

Flooodlights outside connected to your alarm system. Battery powered automatic lights inside.

Getting to know your neighbors, and watching out for one another. Getting to know the police who patrol your neighorhood.

Do not display high cost items. If you have a Corvette, or Cadillac, keep it in the garage not the driveway.

I keep several fully loaded firearms well hidden around my home. But I do believe that my outer security will prevent the need to use them.

Write down license numbers of suspicious vehicles that do not "belong" in the neigfhborhood, along with descriptions of occupants.

Most police departments have a crime prevention unit that will be happy to send an officer to do a "threat risk" assessment, and talk to the neighborhood about setting up a "neighborhood watch" or "citizens on patrol" program.

Your taxes are paying for these programs, you may as well take advantage of therm.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old May 20, 2013, 12:54 PM   #42
csmsss

Since my primary HD arms are longarms, carrying one around with me wherever I go isn't realistic.

One thing that always amazes me is that people answer the door to unexpected visitors. I can't imagine why anyone would do such a thing. Not only are you easing the path for that potential home invader, you're giving him close access to you. No thanks. Anyone coming to my casa who doesn't call first isn't getting in. Anyone who tries to get in anyway, well...woe unto them.
Old May 20, 2013, 01:10 PM   #43
CurlyQ.Howard

So much for the safe neighborhood: http://open.salon.com/blog/laura_wil...enilworth_1966

"At about a quarter to five in the morning Loraine Percy was partially awakened by the sound of breaking glass. Groggy, she assumes that someone broke a drinking glass but was jolted fully awake some minutes later by the sounds of moaning. Loraine left Charles sleeping as she got out of bed and walked down the hall. She first stopped at Sharon’s bedroom but the noise wasn’t coming from that room. She next checked on Valerie, opening the door to find a strange man bending over Valerie’s bed. Loraine screamed as the intruder shined his flashlight in her eyes, temporarily blinding her as he escaped down the back stairs and through the French doors leading from the music room.
Loraine had turned and ran from the room just ahead of the intruder and at 5:05 she tripped the burglar alarm which consisted of a siren mounted to the roof of the house. Now awakened, Charles Percy rushed to Valerie’s room, Loraine trailing behind him.
Old May 20, 2013, 01:12 PM   #44
arch308

Mleaky, I don't wear a seatbelt or motorcycle helmet. I do keep a gun within reach 99% of the time, just not on my person in the house.
To each his own.
Old May 20, 2013, 01:15 PM   #45
csmsss

"Safe" neighborhoods generally means at least relatively well off if not well-to-do homeowners, thus a nice target for thieves and other ne'er do wells. The only thing that keeps such neighborhoods safe is the ignorance of the nearby criminal class - but that will change in time.
Old May 20, 2013, 06:06 PM   #46
bt380

Check out alarm sellout dot com. They start at $280 and then grow from there. They have key chain remotes so you can arm/disarm. Buy a good quality floor bolted 60 minute safe for all valuables, income tax, medical, etc. Place a climbing rappel biner in the garage door rail to prevent opening. Install inside only dead bolts so outside keys can't gain access to them. Install the decals on all entries and windows and larger signage in front/back. Buy a couple game cameras and hide them outside (front/back). Buy a video system and install the control unit in the safe to prevent the theft of your evidence. Have a family plan. Call the police an let them deal with the trash. Insurance upgrade of stolen item is better than your blood on the floor. Like stated above, trim bushed and trees so they do not provide a hiding place (provide lighting). You shouldn't get caught off guard w/ an effective and working alarm system. Set up a preventative maintenance schedule to test your system every 6 months. Keep a shotty under the bed w/ #4 as well as a 9mm or 40 cal backup for the 14-17 rounds per clip. Have the high sensitive amplified shooters ear pro so you can hear 10 times better at night.
Old May 20, 2013, 07:14 PM   #47
Rob228

As I am reading all of these, and thinking about my usual system(as posted, not carrying at home, but there is a handgun within an arms reach at all times) there is something dawning on me. With my better half being 11 weeks pregnant, my plan is going to change drastically when that lil bugger comes out, in that case there isn't going to be an arms reach for the handguns, the one not locked up at the moment is going to be on my belt, in which case I am joining the carrying at home group.
Old May 20, 2013, 07:55 PM   #48
Aaron1100us

Re: Home Invasion! Are you prepared? Really?

not worried but my G33 is with me at all times and my AK isnt far away.
Old May 20, 2013, 09:39 PM   #49
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
Perhaps this will help clear things up:
"I just don't understand carrying a wallet at home. I don't live at the store. I won't need to whip out my driver's license and debit card. Wallets are bulky, and I can't sit right with one in my pocket. It's uncomfortable."
That's why I don't - no keys or cell phone either. Tough to do wearing gym shorts and flip flops - no worries - sitting here right now at 10:30 with the front door wide open as the cool breeze feels good.

If YOU want to spend every waking moment of your life dreaming up what-if scenarios and pointing out those 1 in 100,000,000 odd things that could go wrong, just build a bunker on your mountain top and fortify it. Just like those who will never go anywhere where they can't carry a gun - it really is so sad that you would deny yourself and your family the joys of travel to other places, the ability to do other adventures, etc.
Living a life in a constant state of fear is not living.

Plant thorny bushes? Sure. have a dog? You bet. Good dead bolts - why not? Motion lights, alarm, etc. - all good ideas - but having your gun in the shower because you far a horde of drug-amped ne'er-do-wells breaking in to kill you? Sorry, that is over the top in the tin foil department
Old May 20, 2013, 10:14 PM   #50
Tactical Jackalope

^ Just because if you'd carry 24/7 you feel like you're living in fear and paranoid, doesn't mean that's how everyone who does carry 24/7 feels. That's just you.

I do it second nature. Calm as the breeze. So do many others..Sorry you may feel like you don't have all bases covered. Not nice to bash people who have them covered. No one's stopping you from being prepared.
Closed Thread