The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 27, 2008, 09:33 PM   #1
btefft

WHere can I find recipes for Remington bullets

Where can I find recipes for Remington bullets?

I use Hornady bullets, Sierra bullets, and Nosler bullets - each has a loading manual for their bullets.

But I can't find a manual for Remington bullets. I don't feel comfortable using another bullet's recipe, just because it looks like the Remington I'm wanting to reload.
Old April 27, 2008, 09:54 PM   #2
crowbeaner

It used to be that DuPont/IMR data used to use RP bullets, but newer booklets use just about anything. If you get some of the older booklets, you'll find data for some but not all RP bullets. What particular caliber/bullet are you looking for? There is a wealth of knowledgeable handloaders here on TFL that may be able to help if we know what you have to work with.
Old April 28, 2008, 07:44 AM   #3
cdrt

Should not be a problem using loading data for a similar bullet (same profile). You might want to start with the minimum load and work your way up, but I've interchanged the data for Hornadys 154 grain 7mm bullet with Remington's 150 grain Core-Lokt in my .280 with no problems at all. Both, in fact, shoot to the same point of impact and give me the same group; under 3/4" at 100 yards.
Navy Vet, SWIFT Boat OIC, Distinguished Pistol Shot #1399
USS JOHN S. MCCAIN (DDG-36)
Old April 28, 2008, 10:53 AM   #4
WCW

I’ve been buying and shooting bulk Remington bullets for many many years, and haven’t once ever seen any specific loading data for them. I just use data from other manufacturers and work up. I have never had a problem, and I actually like those bulk Remington core-lokt bullets. They easily shoot as accurately as any comparable bullets I’ve ever used, and they are also fine game-getters for hunting as well.
Old April 28, 2008, 04:16 PM   #5
arizona hunter

I practice with the Rem 180 Corelokt, and the shape/BC etc. were very similar to the Speer Grand Slam so I just used that info from the Speer #13 book; Had a similar experience with the 80 gr. in a 243 also.
Old April 28, 2008, 04:31 PM   #6
wncchester

Remington's bullets are not unique in any special way. Data for all bullets is safe IF we actually develop our loads with them, same as any other.
Old April 28, 2008, 10:36 PM   #7
Ruger4570

I have been mixing and matching bullets and loads for going on 45 years now. I am still around and never had a problem. Of course, going for the "ultimate" velocity would mean some careful load development.
Old April 29, 2008, 05:22 AM   #8
rg1

For anybody who wants an example of the older IMR Handloaders Guide showing loads for some RP bullets and others using IMR powders:

http://www.imrpowder.com/pdf_reload.html

It's in PDF and is downloadable and printable. Rifle and pistol are about 11 pages each. Shotgun data too. Notice they say reduce 10% and work up. Good info and free.
Old April 29, 2008, 07:54 AM   #9
jlchucker

Have you checked out "Cartridges of the World"? I have an older copy that has all kinds of Remington data in it. I expect that a newer copy would have the same thing, only with more data for calibers that have come along in the last 5 or 10 years.
Old April 29, 2008, 09:31 AM   #10
BerettaFox

in my lyman 48th edition it doesn't have the "115 gr. FMJ", is it ok to load them like you would load a 115 gr. Jacketed HP?
Old April 30, 2008, 12:19 PM   #11
MrApathy

not usually. FMJ need a longer OAL.
A repeat of history, That's how it goes