The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 7, 2013, 11:02 AM   #1
Skitter

Trigger Length Marlin 30-30

Random question not sure where it needed to go. I've always been aware that even at 5'8" I have long monkey arms. This being said I an reading various items on trigger length and having a hard time finding information regarding what it should be.

Right now shooting standing up or braced on the bench I am hitting 4" circle at 50yd with no scope, assuming I can get more accurate then that what would trigger vs arm length be? I usually wrap my left forearm in the sling and have the sling sized just for that purpose to steady and pull it in to my shoulder.

If this thread belongs someplace else please advise
Old March 7, 2013, 11:26 AM   #2
PetahW

Although this topic should most likely properly be in the gunsmithing section, IMO what you're referring to is called the "length of pull", i.e. the distance from the center of the BP to the center of the cocked rifle's trigger.

Different manufacturers cut their buttstock to various different LOP's - why it's generally advisable to try before you buy.

What usually works for most folks is an LOP measurement that matches the distance from the inside of the shooter's angles elbow, to the center of the tip of their trigger finger.

Sooooooo, cradle any long gun in the crook of your arm (inside of the elbow), and extend that hand to see where the trigger finger falls on that particular gun.

For a proper fit, the finger should just fit on the trigger - if the finger doesn't quite reach, the stock's too long; if the finger reaches fwd/past the trigger, the stock's too short.

In whatever case, the LOP might need adjustment: shortening via cutting the rearmost end, or lengthening via the addition of a thick recoil pad or (in extreme cases) a wooden filler strip betwixt the present end of the buttstock & the BP.

LOP can also be lengthened by wearing a shooting shirt/jacket with a padded area on the front of the shoulder, which has the same effect as lengthening.

Old March 7, 2013, 11:29 AM   #3
Skitter

Just went and checked, with the stock snug against the crook of my elbow, my index finger reaches the screw for the lever mount, so almost 1-1/2"+ past the trigger
Old March 7, 2013, 11:34 AM   #4
PetahW

AFAIK, the thickest recoil pad you can install is a 1" shotgun waffle pad, so you might be able to get away with just that, and/or maybe that and the padded shirt/jacket - w/o getting into a wooden stock extension.

I would cut a piece of wood 1-1/2" thick and place it in the crook of your arm before trying the fit again, to make sure - and adjust the wood test piece accordingly, so you'll know just about what you need for additional length.

Old March 7, 2013, 12:01 PM   #5
Scorch

LOP on most lever action carbines is short, about 12-1/2" to 13". One reason many shooters have trouble shooting these short little rifles is that they are all scrunched up and cannot achieve anything like good posture or natural posture. The "average" length of pull is 13-3/4", most factory rifles are at that length. Your LOP may be longer or shorter, but it sounds like that would be closer to fitting you than what you have. You would probably be better off finding a rifle that fits you properly.
Old March 7, 2013, 12:08 PM   #6
Skitter

1) the .30-30 was a gun I had on my wish list, short or not, I wanted a brush gun. 2) it was a Valentines gift from the wife so I have to use it. 3) We are in no position to buy anything else for a very long time so I am using what I have
Old March 7, 2013, 12:12 PM   #7
Scorch

I understand. Perhaps you should look at a 1" recoil pad to lengthen the LOP, that would probably help immensely.
Old March 7, 2013, 12:14 PM   #8
Skitter

That is what I am looking at for the moment. I found a couple pre-fit ones so I didn't have to grind them myself (except maybe take some thickness off).

http://www.amazon.com/Pachmayr-Marli...336+recoil+pad
Old March 7, 2013, 04:00 PM   #9
jmr40

Might want to try one of the slip on pads. They are inexpensive and will probably fix your problem. They are also easily removed for other "normal" family members to use. If you find it works, then you may decide later to go to the expense of a permanate pad.
Old March 7, 2013, 04:03 PM   #10
Skitter

The thought had occured, but I'm one of those go all or go home type of people.

As for Scorch's comment I checked my Wife's Remmington 700model .270 as well and I am still about 1-1/2" too long on hers too ><
Old March 7, 2013, 05:49 PM   #11
AK103K

Quote:
LOP on most lever action carbines is short, about 12-1/2" to 13". One reason many shooters have trouble shooting these short little rifles is that they are all scrunched up and cannot achieve anything like good posture or natural posture. The "average" length of pull is 13-3/4", most factory rifles are at that length.
I think if you look, youre going to find that most older rifles stocked for use with iron sights have a LOP of around 12 1/2" - 13". Most all of your military rifles also have the same LOP.

It seems these days, not to many rifles come set up with stocks for iron sights, or even the irons themselves, although some still come equipped with them. With or without them, many of the stocks are really intended to be used with a scope, and tend to be to high, and to long, especially if you learned on and/or are used to the shorter stocks.

Im one that prefers the shorter LOP's, as they are what I learned on, and I have a lot of trouble shooting the stocks with the longer LOP. They just dont shoulder and shoot properly, especially when done instinctively.

Recoil pads are just another issue that, for me, just makes things even worse. Ive become quite good at removing them and fitting butt plates (something else that seems to have gone out of fashion, especially the nice checkered steel ones). That alone, often gets things back to that "correct" LOP. As with many things, Brownells is you friend.
Old March 20, 2013, 11:57 AM   #12
Skitter

After Range finds for this one.

Both on my Marlin and my Wife's Remington .270 is feels like you have to curl your hand back to grip the trigger. I had mentioned LOP to her before she shot her .270 and she also had the same issue as I did trying to grip to shoot. Her .270 has a built in recoil pad, so we are looking at adding a slip on on top of that , may have to extend the stock for hers, to me it felt like I was holding on to a youth gun. On my Marlin it is something I can work past but don't plan on doing for too long, but on her .270, it's really quite awkward to handle.
Old March 20, 2013, 12:19 PM   #13
L_Killkenny

In this case adjusting LOP won't shrink you're groups enough to matter if at all. While not necessarily an internet myth having the perfect LOP on a rifle is dang near the bottom of the list when it comes improving your shooting. Shotguns are a completely different story.
Old March 20, 2013, 12:22 PM   #14
Skitter

I was only worried about accuracy on my .30-30 for now. I am waiting to get the scope to see if I need to add anything to extend it out.

The .270 however, we are adding something to it as I said before it's really awkward to shoot as close as the grip is to your shoulder.
Old March 23, 2013, 10:27 AM   #15
scoutman

Skitter,

Find Jeff Cooper's book "Art of the Rifle". One chapter in it discusses your problem.

Great book!!
Old March 23, 2013, 08:51 PM   #16
Skitter

Will Do