The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 9, 2012, 01:03 PM   #1
Mr.RevolverGuy

My Experience with S&W Behemoths Magnums

In 2003 at Shot Show Smith and Wesson having partnered with Cor-Bon introduced the monster of all magnums to regain its crown of most powerful by releasing the Smith and Wesson 500 Magnum.

Smith and Wesson wouldn't stop there 2 years later in 2005 at the Shot Show Smith and Wesson released the 460XVR the worlds fastest production revolver derived from a partnership with Hornady. The 460XVR is arguably the most versatile big bore revolver to date capable of firing the 460 Magnum, 454 Casull, 45 Colt and the 45 S&W Schofield. This allows the shooter to increase cartridge power, one level at a time, until he or she is comfortable with full-power loads, if so desired. This level of versatility in a revolver—the ability to handle four or more cartridges interchangeably—is duplicated only by the newly released 327 Federal Magnum and the 445 Super Magnum.

Today I had the pleasure of having on the range both -- the worlds most powerful and the world fastest prduction revolvers which I often refer to as "Smith and Wesson's Behemoth Magnums". The "Kings" are capable of launching .50 caliber bunker busting projectiles and .45 caliber projectiles at missile like speed capable of taking the biggest wild life game on God's green earth.

Full Range Review Here
Old December 9, 2012, 01:56 PM   #2
buddah4snow

They make CCW kinda tough, don't they?

J/k.......nice pair!!!
Old December 9, 2012, 02:25 PM   #3
Mr.RevolverGuy

A good cross the chest shoulder rig would be the only option for any long term wear
Old December 9, 2012, 02:29 PM   #4
Venom1956

appendix carry?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old December 9, 2012, 02:33 PM   #5
Mr.RevolverGuy

I wish I had at my disposal the 14" barrel performance center model with bipod. I bet I would have been really able to ring out some good groups. I would love to take something like that on a Cape Buffalo hunt.
Old December 11, 2012, 07:18 PM   #6
feets

Try those loads in a TC Encore.

My 15" 460 S&W launches the 200 gr Hornady loads at 2900 fps. That's a nifty little increase. Point blank hold to 200 yds with a 150 yd zero.
Old December 23, 2012, 04:54 PM   #7
Sevens

For fun, I highly recommend that you take the .500 Mag stoked with one round of 500gr Hornady XTP-FP in your strong hand, and in your off hand, take the .460 with one round of Hornady 240gr XTP-Mag and single action cock each one, then simultaneously allow them dogs to BARK!

Why do I recommend these bullet loads specifically?
Well, simply, because that's what I happened to have on board when I did it. Twice.

Both revolvers have the 8 3/8" barrels. I highly recommend that you pick aiming points a few degrees off of each other, not pointing in the same exact direction. Obviously, you need a proper place to pull off this exercise. That aiming tip is so you don't accidentally ding the muzzle ends together in full joyous recoil.

It's a very fun and very different experience and much like shooting either the .460 Mag or the .500 Mag, it's not nearly as bad as one might imagine it to be. These guns have been designed very well to handle the recoil of these cartridges.
Old December 23, 2012, 09:19 PM   #8
microman

Out of all the guns I've shot..I have still yet too shoot a S&W 500

But I will one day
Old December 23, 2012, 09:54 PM   #9
Mr.RevolverGuy

Quote:
For fun, I highly recommend that you take the .500 Mag stoked with one round of 500gr Hornady XTP-FP in your strong hand, and in your off hand, take the .460 with one round of Hornady 240gr XTP-Mag and single action cock each one, then simultaneously allow them dogs to BARK!

Why do I recommend these bullet loads specifically?
Well, simply, because that's what I happened to have on board when I did it. Twice.

Both revolvers have the 8 3/8" barrels. I highly recommend that you pick aiming points a few degrees off of each other, not pointing in the same exact direction. Obviously, you need a proper place to pull off this exercise. That aiming tip is so you don't accidentally ding the muzzle ends together in full joyous recoil.

It's a very fun and very different experience and much like shooting either the .460 Mag or the .500 Mag, it's not nearly as bad as one might imagine it to be. These guns have been designed very well to handle the recoil of these cartridges.
Man the percussion from both going off at the same time might jar all my fillings loose That can be an expensive range trip.
Old December 23, 2012, 09:57 PM   #10
Sevens

It's really a lot of fun and it's a different experience.

The concussion is massive, but we do this sort of thing outdoors. Inside on an indoor range and dust & crap falls from the ceiling and small creatures pack their crap and find another building's foundation to live in.
Old December 23, 2012, 10:02 PM   #11
Mr.RevolverGuy

Quote:
It's really a lot of fun and it's a different experience.

The concussion is massive, but we do this sort of thing outdoors. Inside on an indoor range and dust & crap falls from the ceiling and small creatures pack their crap and find another building's foundation to live in.
The wife and I both laughed at this. Yeah outdoors would not be to bad. I will have to pick a time when no one else is on the range to try. Though people are intrigued and want to come down and talk to you about either piece, a lot of people give you the old stink eye.
Old December 23, 2012, 10:14 PM   #12
Sevens

Well, in all truthfulness (and I'm not pointing fingers, I'm merely speaking about how I go about things), I would consider this clearly screwing around.

I'm all for fun, safe, controlled "screwing around" but this isn't the sort of thing I would do on a publicly accessed shooting range.

This is something we do on private property.
Old December 23, 2012, 10:25 PM   #13
Mr.RevolverGuy

Of course safety is paramount first and foremost.
Old December 23, 2012, 10:30 PM   #14
Sevens

Yes, we can all agree, I'm just saying that somewhere right up near the top of my list is NOT wigging out other casual observers, shooters and visitors by doing things that might even be safe...but make me look like a spectacle or a goof-off on a range with other folks on it.
Old December 23, 2012, 10:48 PM   #15
solocam72

I've seen guys pack up and walk out of the range I use to frequent if someone showed up in a lane with a .500 or .460, the concussion was more than most could concentrate and deal with, I always got a kick out of the big boomers and wasn't bothered by them, (although they couldn't be ignored!!!) I owned 2 .500 S&W MAGS, one was the big revolver like you have in the picture and the other was a 14" barreled encore single shot, recoil was totally different between the 2, the revolver was more of a big push you felt hard in the palm of the hand (carpal tunnel area) the single shot encore pushed and rised a lot higher in the air and IMO the recoil was much worse, the barrel was ported and looked similiar to a muzzle brake on a rifle, the revolver was much more enjoyable to shoot.
Old December 23, 2012, 10:58 PM   #16
Quincunx

Well, define "concealed."
Old December 23, 2012, 10:58 PM   #17
Sevens

That reminds me of more evidence to my idea that Smith & Wesson really did a heckuva job in taming these beasts...be it the frame design, the grip design or (I'm guessing) the extremely well designed porting.

I put 5 rounds of factory .500 S&W Mag through a T/C Encore Pro-Hunter rifle with the Katahdin .500 Magnum barrel and it was an awful experience. Not fun, not enjoyable, not something I'd look forward to doing again. (but I would, just because...) I could certainly see hunting with it, but dialing it in would be an awful experience.

But the revolver is a much, much nicer experience.
Old December 24, 2012, 06:02 AM   #18
coonbait

i got the change to shoot the 460, first i used the 45 long colt felt like a 38, then i went to the 454 casall and i thought that was a hand full, but then i touched off a 300gr. 460 round and i must say that was not fun. that thing HURT, shot 5 rounds and gave it back, don't think i'll ever shoot it again..
Old December 24, 2012, 07:13 AM   #19
Mr.RevolverGuy

Recoil affects some more than it does others. Those that really tighten up and believe it is going to recoil and smack them in the head usually try to keep the gun from rising makes it hurt a lot worst. My pop's taught me to ride and adjust to recoil which has made me LOVE big bore revolvers since I was 12 years old. It doesn't take all of the exaggeration like what you see on youtube but some muzzle rise is to be expected and a good thing for the palm of your hand and wrist
Old December 24, 2012, 07:44 AM   #20
spacecoast

Quote:
I've never shot an X-frame revolver, but having put quite a few full-power handloads downrange with my .44 mag 629, I would much rather do that all day than shoot a lightweight .357 mag.

Quote:
My pop's taught me to ride and adjust to recoil
Exactly. The light revolvers sting your hands before you have a chance to do that.
Old December 25, 2012, 04:44 PM   #21
codefour

My $00.02 worth regarding the X-Frames

The X-frame revolvers are pretty controversial. Many will claim they have no place in a handgun platform claiming the large behemoths have no use besides ego. On the other hand, others sing their praise regarding their power and versatility.

Now, since this is an oppinion based forum, I hope you all do not mind that I post a few of my own. I personally own a 460 XVR with the 8 3/8 barrel. It is a wonderful gun with a lot of versatility. It has it's pros and cons. It obviously has power, range and velocity. It also has 73 ounces of large heft and blunt recoil. Heavy recoil can either give you a bad flinch or teach you to expect it improiving your shooting on smaller caliber guns. Letting it roll without the death grip works wonders.

Now here is the kicker, the .41 and .44 magnum are more than adequate for 95 percent of the hunting in North America. I deer and hog hunt with a .44 magnum Redhawk.

Now you ask yourself why even have a 460 S&W magnum? The answer is real simple, they are fun! It is kind of like drag racing. You can run in the stock classes but when you move up the power chain in racing it gets lots more fun. After the holidays, I am ordering a nice handgun scope to shoot 300 yards with it. Why, because the weapon can make those shots.

Will I ever hunt with my 460, I do not know. Maybe some day I can afford a nice Grizzly hunt in Alaska. Is it bear to carry? Well, kind of but not really. In a Simply Riugged chest holster, it is not too bad and you get used to it like carrying a pack. It is easier to carry than a rifle/carbine IMHO.

I have shot the .500 S&W and liked it. The 460 IMHO is more versatile if you handoad and a lot cheaper. The 460 can be downloaded in 460 cases. For example, a 300g MBC at 1300-1400 fps for plinking.

Enough rambling, I have a X-mas party to go to.

Merry Christmas to TFL inmates.

Last edited by codefour; December 25, 2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old December 25, 2012, 05:22 PM   #22
TheGoldenState

Quote:

Not when you get the 4inch
Old December 25, 2012, 08:45 PM   #23
JohnMoses

I have a 4" 500 and my buddy has a 5" 460. I traded a 10" Taurus 500 for the smith 4". I also have a H&R 500 handi-rifle and my buddy has an encore in 460. We shoot these often on my private (outdoor) range, so I feel quailified to offer opinions on the subject. I have done the simo-fire thing just to say I did and feel no need to ever do it again. I have 250 rounds of brass, and find after about 2 full house loads, the primer pockets get loose so I load that brass with mid loads, and finnally trail boss. I'm down to just 50 rounds of the the full house loads, and now just save them to test my buddies manhood. The 500's recoil is sharp, stiff, and brutal. I was amazed how much less the 460 was in the recoil department. That said, the muzzel blast of the 460, rifle or revolver, is stupifing. I swear I could feel ejecta raining down from the roof of the shooting station when standing behind the shooter. Standing next to the shooter is just obnoxios. I could not imagine firing the beast, even in a field situation, without hearing protection.
The recoil is the issue with the 500. The handi-rifle often breaks open on recoil, and the cheesy plastic rear sight departed for parts unknown in the first range session. I replaced them with Williams aluminum sights, but they wouldn't zero. I'll get around to a new front sight someday.
In short, I have more practical firearms for field use, and consider these mere range toys. They are big, heavy firearms that are difficult to shoot, hard to master, and anything but 'versatile'. The are at the top of the size, recoil, muzzel blast envelope in order to get to an energy level that other firearms can reach easily and more comfrtably.
Old December 28, 2012, 04:56 AM   #24
solocam72

I remember when the big .500 was about to be released I watched a show on the outdoor channel of a couple guys hog hunting with it, I wouldn't of aired the film it was so ridiculous, they shot 3 or 4 big hogs with the .500 and had to shoot them several times except for one I remember (shot placement unknown but couldn't of been good?), I remember thinking holy cow what a joke! I have 100 percent faith and cofidence I could have smoked any of them hogs with one shot from a .22 magnum! I help a guy out butchering from time to time, he's a meat cutter and gets me to do the slaughtering, all I use is a .22 magnum. Moral of the story is it definately was a horrible debut for the big .500 IMO, very short of impressive! Didn't stop me from owning 2 of them
Old December 28, 2012, 08:33 AM   #25
Ozzieman

This is something we do on private property.
I respectfully disagree. People are going to complain no matter what you do. It’s a range, open to the public. If the range owner will let you shoot it then there is nothing wrong with it.
I shoot a Contender 44 MAG with what I call my Rhino rollers in the winter time when I’m working up loads. But I also tell others around me what I am shooting.
Complainers will complain, that’s their job. Several weeks ago I and a friend were shooting in door and working on multiple shots for speed and accuracy. Both of us were shooting 9mm.
Only one other person was in the range and we were separated by more than 6 positions.
When we were done we cashed out at the store and in walked the other shooter. And out of his mouth came “I didn’t shoot very well, sounded like a *#&$% gun fight in there.” He went on for several minutes.
The owner who is a friend finally stopped the complainer by saying “You do realize you were in a “SHOOTING RANGE!” With emphasis on the last.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; December 28, 2012 at 10:53 AM.