The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 22, 1999, 04:49 PM   #1
average american

Harley,
I have a thompson auto ordinance 1911A1 that i have shot for a few years with no problems, but now i am plagued by clocking of the extractor, leading to failed extraction on occasion. I have already tried fitting an oversized firing pin stop, but the problem appears to be that the notch in the extractor is too deep to be fully engaged,allowing it to rotate enough to cause my problem.do you know of anyone who makes an aftermarket extractor with this notch not as deep, that i can fit to the stop properly? Or any other solution to this problem that I am just unaware of?
Old December 22, 1999, 05:37 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Average
American:
I think you would get a better response if you presented this in the Smithy forum.

HJN
Old December 23, 1999, 03:28 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Average,

If the extractor notch is too deep, a new firing pin stop won't help. You are right that you need a new extractor or a fix to the old one. You might try cutting a piece of steel (a two prong paper fastener, maybe?) of a size to fit into the slot in the extractor, then crazy glue or epoxy it in place. You might have to file it down.

But, with the reasonable cost of extractors, I think a new one would be a better idea.

Jim
Old December 23, 1999, 04:18 PM   #4
average american

Thanks to you both for your responses to my question.Being new to the firing line, i was unaware of the smithy forum.I think i'll take it there in hopes of finding out who's aftermarket extractor to get. Thanks again and have a Merry Christmas!