The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 29, 2015, 06:39 PM   #1
Gene

Savage M42 .22/.410 Combo. Anyone Have One?

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this but since it's "half shotgun" here goes.

I was thinking of purchasing a Savage M42 .22LR/.410 combo. All the magazine reviews I've read have glowing reviews about it, (including Jeff over on gunblast.com whom I respect), but maybe they received hand picked examples.

Private owners opinions however are all over the place and mostly negative and especially concerning it's cheap build quality. Anyone here have one and what do you think?
Old December 29, 2015, 08:45 PM   #2
FITASC

I used to have the 24C - Camper's Companion which was 22/20. The accuracy for both the rifle and shotgun were mediocre at best as the shotgun had a cylinder bore choke. It was nice that it broke down and had a canvas carrying bag, but for camp use or fun plinking, there were then, and now, better choices.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 31, 2015, 01:22 PM   #3
dennis228

I have one, mine is 22 WMR over 410. Have had it for a couple of years.

I like it, very handy, and light (under 5 lbs.) and surprisingly accurate for both barrels. Really surprised on how well it shoots slugs.

Not the most handsome combo gun but acceptable in that regard.

Yes its built "economically" (kinda cheap) but mine shoots so well, has held up well, functions perfectly, and carries so easily that its a keeper. Just a nice little woods walking or truck gun kind of thing. Usually carry it with CCI 40 gr. 22 WMR Gamepoints over Remington 3 inch #4 shot shell.

I also have a Savage 24C 22lr over 20 ga. so I kind of like combo guns for plinking and small game hunting.
Old December 31, 2015, 02:19 PM   #4
idek

Have you ever looked at one of these?
http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/2626

I was really tempted to get a 22/410 combo a while back. I read up on this gun and the Savage 42 and started leaning toward the Chiappa. Then a gun shop in the area had both in stock, so I was able to handle them and look them over.

The Savage felt and looked like a toy. Very rudimentary sights with no east way to replace them that I can tell. I didn't really care for the selector thing on the hammer (that you pivot according to which barrel you want to fire).

Good or bad, the Chiappa is a bit heavier and feels more like an adult sized gun. It has a rear aperture sight that I like much better than the Savage sight, and it's fitted into a standard dovetail slot, so you could easily replace it with other rear sights if you wished. It's also drilled for an optics rail should a person want to use a scope or red dot. The double trigger setup seems like it would be faster and more intuitive than having to flip the little hammer piece on the Savage.

Ultimately, I got neither, because I just don't know how practical a .410 would be for me. If they ever did one in 28 or 20 gauge, I'd give the Chiappa another look.

Last edited by idek; December 31, 2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old January 2, 2016, 02:30 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

The hammer mounted selector was a vast improvement over the old frame mounted selector which was always breaking. It may look odd, but it works OK.

Jim
Old January 2, 2016, 07:59 PM   #6
Pahoo

We are talking M42's

Quote:
Savage M42 .22/.410 Combo.
Folks, Gene is talking about the M42 and not the old 24-Series combos. This M42, is a horse of a different cover. I have owned a number 24's and have only handled one 42. Although the 42's are not as attractive as the 24's, they seem to be more stout. The price is a bit high but these should make great Rabbit and Squirrel combo. I hunt a particular woods area and the landowner will only allow me to use a shotgun. I take my 24 and sneak in a .22 short when it's a good solid shot. .......

By the way, I have never seen a 24 that did not have something wrong with it, whether it be the safety, stock or whatever. I can live with it .....

Be Safe !!!
Old January 2, 2016, 08:56 PM   #7
gyvel

Try reading these reviews; They may help.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/s...del-42-review/
SIFE
Old January 2, 2016, 10:11 PM   #8
Prof Young

Like my savage 42 . . .

I have a Savage 42 that I bought for squirrel hunting. Given where I hunt some shots are "rifle" safe and some are not. So the 22 mag over the 410 make it a perfect squirrel gun.

I mounted a scope and can get very tight groups with all kinds of 22 mag ammo at 25 yards. Also, the 410 barrel is well aligned with the rifle barrel so I'm aiming through the scope for either barrel.

The hammer "switch" seems little cheap but it works just time.

I took it to the range and we actually did okay shooting clays, with the 410 barrel of course.

The only down side is that I didn't get into the woods with it this last fall to do some squirrels . . . but that's not really the guns' fault.

The Chiappa looks like a fine gun. Not sure how easy it would be to mount a scope. (My Savage was already drilled and tapped.) I think I might like the double trigger set up better than the "hammer switch." I'm thinking I paid right around $400 for my Savage 42. Can't seem to find an MSRP on the Double Badger.

If you get the Savage 42 I don't think you'll regret it.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old January 2, 2016, 10:42 PM   #9
Boogershooter

I have the chiappa double badger and my son has the savage. Neither are top notch guns and both have their pros and cons but overall I like the chiappa better.
Old January 3, 2016, 05:05 AM   #10
idek

Quote:
I have the chiappa double badger and my son has the savage. Neither are top notch guns and both have their pros and cons but overall I like the chiappa better.
I'd be interested to hear more details of your experiences/opinions.
Old January 3, 2016, 10:57 AM   #11
Boogershooter

Idek what exactly would you like to hear? I like the fiber optic ghost ring sight better on the chiappa. I like the wood better than plastic. I guess I'm old fashioned and like the look of the traditional gun better than the one that looks like it came from a star wars movie. I'm no Obie 1 but Id rather have a gun than the force with me lol. We hunt with a squirrel dog and the double badger is just perfect. When they are froze on the tree I get them with the 22. If they take off running I use the 410. The thing I don't like is not having choke tunes for either one.
Old January 3, 2016, 02:07 PM   #12
idek

Quote:
The thing I don't like is not having choke tunes for either one.
That reminds me, the Savage 42 is listed as having a cylinder choke, the Chiappa is listed as having a full. Does that seem accurate from your experiences?
Old January 3, 2016, 10:14 PM   #13
Boogershooter

No sir the chiappa is cylinder bore. I'm digging for the owners manual now to see what the savage is.

Last edited by Boogershooter; January 3, 2016 at 10:36 PM.
Old January 3, 2016, 10:35 PM   #14
Boogershooter

Looks like cylinder bore for both of these. I called a friend of mine (google) while digging and it showed 2 reviews for the savage. One was cylinder and the other improved modified. Not sure how reliable that info is but my son's is clearly marked cylinder bore.
Old January 3, 2016, 11:03 PM   #15
Kosh75287

Shot a .22LR/20 ga. one whole summer of my youth. If something didn't get bagged, it was my fault, not the firearm's. You'll probably be a lot happier with a 20 ga. shotgun barrel. Despite claims to the contrary, the .410 is something of an expert shotgunner's chambering.

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old January 14, 2016, 04:48 PM   #16
Gene

Thanks for all the thoughts on this. The opinions on this gun sure are all over the place. I was interested in this because I just wanted a squirrel and pest gun.