The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 21, 2015, 10:25 PM   #26
oldscot3

Looks like pretty standard lawyer speak covering defects etc. I don't read that as pretty much saying any of their triggers could allow an accidental discharge at any time. I guess I'm just an optimist.
Old March 22, 2015, 01:34 PM   #27
reynolds357

I lost count a long time ago of the times I have seen b.r. rifles discharge when the shooter closed the bolt. My favorite 100 yard rifle will discharge every time if you close the bolt hard. It will also fire about the time you feel your finger touch the trigger. Light weight comes at a price. I know how to "fix" the "problem" but I do not want to raise the pull weight ANY.
Old March 22, 2015, 06:45 PM   #28
oldscot3

I will certainly concede that a "match" trigger with a pull weight measured in ounces rather than pounds would constitute what many could characterize as a hair trigger that could be tricky to rely on. My first post, however, was more along the lines of what I think is more in keeping with the op and that is hunting rifle with a factory trigger.

With that in mind I maintain that , Jewel for example, can design and build a trigger to replace a factory unit, that can adjust below 3 pounds, down to say 1 pound, and so long as it's free from defects in materials and workmanship, and not improperly installed, the rifle owner should be able to rely on it never to release until he puts his booger hook on it.
Old March 22, 2015, 07:33 PM   #29
tangolima

Trigger pull of less a pound is lighter than necessary for hunting, is it not?

-TL
Old March 23, 2015, 01:22 AM   #30
jason.jardine72

The new recall is from over lube hardening
Old March 23, 2015, 11:12 AM   #31
jason.jardine72

It is deadly if a branch accidentally hits the trigger
Old March 23, 2015, 03:55 PM   #32
oldscot3

A branch could also trip a trigger with a 5 lb. pull if you're silly enough to go wading through brush with a round chambered and the safety off.

This is my last post on this thread as I feel we're getting to far off of the original topic. My apologies to the op for my part.