The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 17, 2010, 06:04 AM   #1
micksis86

Browning Hi-Power not a production class pistol for IPSC??

I was just looking over the rules for production class pistols in IPSC and the Browning Hi Power isn't on the list well actually it is as it specifically says that it isn't.

I love Hi Powers and i don't understand how it doesn't qualify

Could someone clear this up for me?
Old November 17, 2010, 06:54 AM   #2
lmccrock

The Hi-Power is single action, and Production pistols must be double action, or "Glock" action. There are later double action variants, such as the BDA, which is approved.

Lee
Old November 17, 2010, 09:14 AM   #3
Don P

You could shoot in limited division: advantage load magazines to capacity:
disadvantage lower scoring due to caliber.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 17, 2010, 10:39 AM   #4
lmccrock

On a BHP, "capacity" is only 13, so in the US (USPSA), Limited-10/minor looks better, otherwise you are going up against 20 round guns with major scoring. Not sure about outside of the US (IPSC). I have a Glock 17 that I shoot in Ltd sometimes, but I also have a +5 extension for one mag, so I get 22+1, which means 40 rounds scored minor with 1 reload.

IIRC, BHP has a magazine disconnect so you cannot drop the hammer unless there is a magazine installed. So you have to carry an extra empty mag, to drop the hammer after "unload-show-clear". However, in USPSA, it is legal to remove such a disconnect in Production Division (just looked it up to be sure: Appendix D4-22.1).

Lee
Old November 17, 2010, 12:18 PM   #5
RickB

I've shot my HP in Limited, using 17-round mags available cheap from CDNN. Of course, that's still down on capacity compared to the 20-21rd S_I .40s that most are shooting in Limited.
Old November 18, 2010, 04:55 AM   #6
Jeff22

Browning P35

I've shot my Browning P35 in both "Limited" and "Limited 10" classes in USPSA/IPSC in the last year. In both cases, my intent was to get fresh classification scores in both classes. I also shot the same gun in ESP class on the IDPA classifier for the same reason.

The USPSA matches I shot were all classifiers with a limited round count so only being able to load to 10 or 13 rounds (depending) was not a competitive problem.