The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 12, 2006, 01:59 PM   #1
DNK

Recoil Reducer

I've seen recoil reducers for autoloaders for sale on ebay. These are the type that replace the forend retention nut. How do they reduce recoil and do they work?
Old April 13, 2006, 07:28 AM   #2
fairview mick

recoil reducers

Over a period of forty years of shooting trap, I've tried all kinds of recoil reducers. Some have internal pistons with springs that supposedly work against recoil. Others that attach to the forearem usually just add weight. I've found that reducing recoil is easier done by lenghtening the forcing cone, back boring and some type of barrell porting. I've never found a "Reducer" that effectively does what it promises. There have also been recoil reducing stocks that collapse slightly on recoil. Most notably was the Winchester model 12 factory recoil reducing stock. It was a plastic stock of two peices. What has hilarious was that my wife cought her hair between the two peices! At first I laughed, but after the beating I recieved, I was just barely able to walk.