The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: How would you rate Wal Mart Guns
excellent 64 40.25%
good 76 47.80%
not so good 14 8.81%
bad 5 3.14%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 1, 2006, 10:02 AM   #51
crow

I just don't buy into the "stories" about Wal-Mart guns being lesser quality than any other guns. I do know that they sell a Marlin 60 with SS barrel and regular wooden stock that is a WM exclusive, but that doesn't mean it's made from any lesser quality parts than the rest of the guns that are made. I believe that this particular rifle normally comes with a laminated stock, but the put the reg stock on them for WM.

I believe that all this started from private shop owners because WM can sell for so much less than they can. I have owned several guns from WM and I believe that there is no difference in them and the guns that Mom and Pop sell down on the corner. Well, there is a difference; they are a lot less expensive!

Crow
Old March 2, 2006, 02:33 AM   #52
ghettoestl

well its been a while since ive posted this thread and im glad to hear from everybody on what u think. i posted this right after i got a remington 870. well ive used the 870 and it works great. about the stocks tho, i was a little curious about the walnut and hardwood so i went right to the remington website and all the base model express 870s have the "hardwood" stocks. they arent listed as walnut. so that would mean they have to be "hardwood" everywhere they are sold.
Old March 2, 2006, 03:21 AM   #53
Optical Serenity

Good to see you back Ghetto. I'd like to get one of the walmart .17HMRs
Old March 2, 2006, 04:39 AM   #54
Flavio

Crow got it right... Private companies, hate Walmart... But the truth is that most of the time the private companies sell same merchandise at a higher price... Which produces less sales. So go figure out... Other than that LONG LIVE WALMART I got both of my rifles there. As a matter of fact Im getting my Savage Arms today
Old March 4, 2006, 01:30 AM   #55
GLK

Ghettoestl glad to hear your having a good time with your new gun. Don't listen to the BS in regards to WalMart selling seconds or lesser quality firearms or any other items. Those that make such claims are simply wrong and often haters fools or outright liars. Like others have stated take a look at the firearms catolog (usually sitting right on the checkout counter next to the guns) they are the same distributors that the local gunshop order from.
Walmart is the largest retail buyer of long guns in the USA. So they of course can buy and sell for less. My local WalMart sells guns such as the Ruger #1, Remington 700, Winchester model 94, Weatherby Vanguard and Marlin model 336 among others just like my local gunshops do. Only WalMart is anywhere from $50.00 - $100.00 cheaper.
As much as the unions and other less successful retailers hate the success story that is WalMart if there was one ounce of truth to this internet myth it would be all over the nightly news and on the front page of every newspaper in the nation. As soon as the local gunshops or any other business start worrying about my financial bottom line I'll start worrying about theirs. Until then I will continue to purchase from the one that gives me the most for my hard earned dollars.
Old March 8, 2006, 04:06 PM   #56
Csspecs

I buy from the local gun shop when I can. I don't want walmart being the only place selling guns as it would take only a few weeks for them to just stop. Then where do I buy from?

Also the guy that owns the gun shop here lives in the same town as me and may one day pay me to do work on his house or store. Wal-mart will never do that, they have their "people" (under paid/slave labours) that come in from another state to do their work.
Old March 8, 2006, 06:05 PM   #57
DonR101395

Quote:
The guns from Wally world are made by the gun company not walmart so they should be good working guns without any problems.. But the guns they have could be made by better compinies like Browning instead of mossberg but the guns they have should get the job done. But they do have very good guns like a Henry
If you look at there special order book or website special order section you can get high end models too. Weatherby, Browning, etc. I just received my special order Ruger M77 mkII 30-06 stainless with black laminate stock. The only difference I noticed was the nearly $200 I saved over buying it from my local dealer. I feel for them and know they have families to feed etc. I do also and $200 buys alot of food or ammo to bring food home.
Old March 9, 2006, 03:18 AM   #58
blaydeman

im with Csspecs.
i live in a community something most people will never know the meaning of. a lot of small businesses dont get the benefit Wal-Mart does from manufacturers because they dont buy in bulk. I dont mind paying more going to the local bakery or gun shop or homemade funiture place cuz i know there is a good chance i can pawn some candy bars from my little brothers litle league team on them or have a conversation about them and shooting the **** on there down time. I like knowing that when i go to a small business its made by Americans and people that are my neighbors.

i just feel this way about Walamrt in general so
Old March 9, 2006, 04:35 PM   #59
Csspecs

The local gun shop owner is very helpful, he aways seems to have a new hot hunting area that he knows of, and has deals on stuff. He really helped me get started duck hunting and muzzle loading hunting. So I go there when I can.

Wal-mart just never has that much depth to it.
Old March 11, 2006, 01:43 PM   #60
stercrazy

This has been a hoot to read!

I have been involved in the sale of and purchasing of firearms for well over 30years. I worked at the Rod and Gun Club at Camp Darby, Italy back in the early 70's. We got Beratta's directly from Beretta and sold them a lot cheaper than anybody here in the states could do to no importation taxes.
I wrote gun articles for about 7 or 8 years and found that some manufactures hand picked the handguns I was sent and several did not I got them right off the assembly line.
I bought a 10/22 from Sunset sports in Burley Idaho in 1974 when I got out of the Air Force and the gun was a piece of junk. Haven't had once since. I do own a Ruger #1 and love it. That was back when Ruger used walnut stocks, now they are Hardwood, "usually Birch".
Wal Mart I can tell you does not make a lot of money on there guns. Just like most grocery stores do not make a LOT if any money on MILK. And as far as Wal Mart hurting local sporting goods stores. I don't buy it. I would be more than happy if I had the money to open a good sproting goods store next door to a Wal Mart. I would just make darn sure I did not carry the same items they do. The space is limited in any Wal Mart I have been in and they can't and do not carry the variety of items that a good local store can. As far as Cabela's is concerned I went to the one in Lehi and they had kids binoculars in the same package as Wal Mart did but for $25.00 instead of around $13.00. Also a local shop that I use about 20 miles away one time teased me about what was I doing to them. I had them swamped with customers cause they carried the things that the local Wal Mart did not have and they did not want to wait for a special order.

And as far as the guy who had the screwed up and then put into research background check. Complain to your states agency for doing background checks! They tell any retailer if they can make the sale or not, not the store! Yes the people behind the counter screwed up, and you have never made a mistake in your life?

Oh and have you heard that Browning shutdown Winchester and put it out of business because of the competition, that is another of those I heard it at Wal Mart from the customer stories!
Old March 12, 2006, 10:22 AM   #61
BobMcG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBOUNCE1
Even if the quality is the same, why would you buy from Wal-Mart?? Sure you may save a few extra bones, but all your doing is putting a harder squeeze or your local dealer, the one in which you depend on for service, help, and advice. You should try to keep the money in the sport. Maybe I stand alone, but my local dealer is where my loyality lies.
+1 here.
Old March 12, 2006, 06:33 PM   #62
malachi

I sure wouldn't want to put the squeeze on my local dealer, just because he's done it to me for years.
Old March 28, 2006, 05:21 PM   #63
will41605

some time in the next few months walmartwill start fazing out selling guns only 1 store will sell them in my district i dont know if this is company wide or what but if u were thinking about buying one and like the price talk to the store mgr they should know whats up..... oh and yes i did ask.......no guns will be clearanced just shiped back ...piss me off
Old March 28, 2006, 05:31 PM   #64
renegadecreation

I’ve looked at some shotguns at Wal-Mart before...but prefer to pay a little more and help the local little man out instead of supplying a corporate giant. Local dealers loose a lot to Wal-Mart but I still try and support mine because he has been good to me in the past and I like the personal touch!!
Old March 28, 2006, 05:48 PM   #65
308SORRELS

I have purchased 2 guns from wally land and both have had 2 be sent back to be repaired . The 1 was a 20 ga. win pump for my son and The other was a 10-22 the win took 3 months and finnally they gave me my money back the 10-22 took 6 weeks and when i got it back it had the same problem so took it back and they sent it back that was 3 months ago friday . They said that they would ck on it and if it is not back they will refund my money. I will never buy from them again.
Old March 29, 2006, 11:08 PM   #66
mohomesteading

For those who buy exclusively on price, a heads up

In the next few months the Wal-Mart corporation will cease to sell firearms at all but the top 20 percent of their stores across the United States. I don't know how many stores are in that figure or where they are located. However, what I do know is that I have four Wal-Marts inside of a 45 minute drive, and another five inside an hour and a half drive where I live in Missouri. There is no guarentee that any of those are in the top 20 percent. That would mean that nine Wal-Marts within a 90 minute drive may only be selling ammuntion and muzzleloaders soon.

Think about what this means for the other 80 percent of the Wal-Mart stores those of you who love to buy from the cheapest retailer. Not to put too fine a point on it, if you just want to buy on the cheap I guess you better search the classified ad section of the newspaper, bulletin boards, word of mouth, auctions and garage sales. Very soon for many parts of the country the independent retailers and the Cabelas and Bass Pros are going to be the only choices other than the private sales market. I might also recommend some of you obtain a Curio & Relics license so you can buy inexpensive military surplus firearms. Those might also be to your liking.

As for gunsmiths and dealers like me, who are small fries and starting out, if price is all you care about, perhaps dealers such as myself should give you the price you want and provide little to no service just like Wal-Warts do. A certain amount of profit needs to be made to cover expenses and provide basic necessities for family. I try to keep my own overhead expenses down as low as possible, but sometimes it doesn't seem like keeping prices low is low enough for many where I have my business. They want to by a brand new in the box firearm for below wholesale cost, basically, they want brand new firearm for a used price.

For these reasons I do most of my sales at gun shows and via internet auctions. There are fewer hassles with those venues. Still, I wish those of you who love buy based on cost the best of luck. I'm sure you can find everything you want to by on the used market eventually.

Sorry to
Old March 30, 2006, 08:17 PM   #67
DeadEyeAmy

Support your local dealers!!!!!!
Old March 30, 2006, 08:52 PM   #68
Wild Bill Bucks

Your local wally world doesn't give a hoot whether you like their products or not.
Their paycheck comes from Bentonville, Arkansas.
Our town used to have about 7 grocery stores, 5 hardware stores, 4 gunshops, and a slew of other small businesses, that were owned by people who truly cared about our community, and its people.
Since wally came to town, we now have 1 grocery store, NO hardware stores, 1 gunshop, and our downtown area looks like a ghost town.
If people keep being fooled about the giant retailers, we will eventually only have one choice about where to shop. It will be wally world or nothing.
Don't get me wrong, I realize that I paid a little more for my goods at those local stores, but when I walked in, they new me by name, and truly cared whether or not I was satisfied with my purchase, and were willing to do what ever it took to make me happy.
I can go to wally world and I have to look somebody up, to get some help, and most of the time, have to talk to someone who doesn't know squat about what I need.
Thats why they have a "Greetor" at the door, because once you get past him, thats the last time anyone will be freindly. Heaven forbid if you need help.

All that said "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR", so I'll pay the local guy, and help feed his family, until I don't have a choice.
Old March 30, 2006, 09:16 PM   #69
duckcallinfool

I think what this whole issue boils down to is....

Do you personally want to take the chance that the gun you are buying for a reduced price MIGHT be the exact same gun that you would get at your local gun dealer?

Me...

NO WAY!

I would be embarrassed to take my firearm in for service at my local gun shop after saving a few bucks at a mega retailer.
Old March 31, 2006, 12:07 AM   #70
tBlake08

Some of you guys are a bit paranoid...lol

-Clint Eastwood
Old March 31, 2006, 09:56 AM   #71
DeadEyeAmy

And, people forget that the money WM generates gets sucked right out of your community. :barf: YOUR money that you spend there goes elsewhere. The sales tax generated is a penance. The money that you spend at a locally owned store stays right at home.
Old March 31, 2006, 01:16 PM   #72
hunters_haven

Something to chew on

I confirmed what a poster said about Wal-Mart reducing firearms sales to only the stores with the top 20 percent of firearms sales. I guess the few local gun shops will be seeing more business soon.

As for any difference between Wal-Mart firearms and those in a gun store, the Wal-Mart guns seem to be stiffer to operate and not as fine in the metal and wood finish as those in a gun shop. This is comparing the same models to each other. I doubt there are any corners cut on safety, rather on things that will allow for a lower cost to meet the price point Wal-Mart is willing to pay.
Old March 31, 2006, 02:28 PM   #73
Guyon

Two shotguns bought at Wal-Mart. I am happy with both.
Old March 31, 2006, 02:49 PM   #74
CajunBass

Quote:
I buy from the local gun shop when I can. I don't want walmart being the only place selling guns as it would take only a few weeks for them to just stop. Then where do I buy from?
In that case, I sense a busines opportunity and open a gun shop.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old March 31, 2006, 04:20 PM   #75
Savage10FP308

This is silly!

I'm sure everybody claiming walmart is cheaper bought a gun at walmart and then ran to their local dealer to buy the same one right?
I love this forum! So many experts. There's people who know which guns are junk, even though they have never shot them and there are people who know wal-mart makes cheaper guns but they've never even compared a walmart and a non walmart of the same model. I think this boils down to people being pissed off that they paid way more than they could have at wal-mart and are just looking to justify their purpose. Their are people on here who think you have to spend $800 on a scope. The $150 I paid for my Tasco seems to be serving me well. It looks and works the same way it did when I bought it.