The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 4, 2016, 11:36 PM   #1
vkeith

Revelation R310AB Disassembly

I just wanted to post this for anyone having trouble removing the action slide or magazine tube on a Western Auto Revelation R310AB. For the most part, the shotgun is a store branded Mossberg 500AB, but with one minor difference.

The magazine tube has a stop ring and spring that prevents the action slide from being removed without removing the magazine tube first. Online research has indicated that the magazine tube is thread-locked to the receiver with Loctite Black Max adhesive (similar to super glue with some additives).

Some people mount the receiver in a vice to break the adhesive bond, but the amount of force required to do so could twist the aluminum receiver if not done properly. Others suggested using acetone to break down the Loctite. I tried this but did not have any success. Loctite does make a product that will break down it's thread lockers and adhesives, but it is expensive, and I was impatient.

I finally broke out a propane torch and gradually heated the stripped receiver and magazine tube to about 400°F (estimate). The Loctite became a liquid at that point (I could see it bubbling), and while I continued to apply heat, my wife was able to unscrew the magazine tube fairly easily using a strap wrench.

I was so intent on getting the magazine tube off the gun that I didn't think to take pictures until I had the shotgun reassembled, but there is a good article with photos about the difference in the Revelation magazine tube here.

Last edited by vkeith; January 4, 2016 at 11:42 PM.