The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 26, 2018, 10:56 AM   #1
nanney1

Black paper targets with neon imprint.

Because I shoot all over the place, I'm finding it it difficult to see where my shot actually hit. I'm guessing this is normal for a new shooter?

Typically I've used black silhouette targets with a 10 in the middle. I typically hit left of the 10 mark. But after the first few mags, I can't tell where I'm hitting. There's something about finding the white hole on a black target that I find hard to pick up. Or maybe it's just that the hole appeared in an area I'm not looing.

Yesterday, the guy in the booth next to me gave me a small black bullseye target. When I shot this target, the hole left a neon yellow impression just outside of the white mark where the bullet tore the black paper. Wow, I could actually see much better as to what and where I was hitting. Even though the actual target was much smaller than the silhouette.

What is the name of this type of target? Secondly, does anyone make a similar silhouette target that leaves a neon imprint?
Old January 26, 2018, 11:42 AM   #2
nanney1

OK, I think I just found what I was describing....Birchwood Casey Shoot-N-C® Targets

I guess I'm not the first person to find that these are easier to see where you've hit?
Old January 26, 2018, 11:56 AM   #3
FITASC

Quote:
I guess I'm not the first person to find that these are easier to see where you've hit?
Correct, and they are not the only brand out there. There are some that use an orange background when you hit the black target. These types have been out for years under various house and brand names. IMO, they are a necessity for us old folks with tired eyes......
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 26, 2018, 12:10 PM   #4
k4swb

Here you go.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...d=GWRU1OQU55JU
Old January 26, 2018, 12:59 PM   #5
nanney1

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4swb View Post
Thanks, the Big Dawg 18X24 is just the kind of target I was looking for.
Old January 28, 2018, 08:48 AM   #6
Nathan

They are also motivational. The more accurate you are, the smaller target you can use....price per target goes way down with smaller targets!
Old January 30, 2018, 06:04 PM   #7
In The Ten Ring

There is a cheaper alternative to Birchwood Casey, I can't recall the name but I have a stack of them somewhere.

If you "shoot all over the place" you need to practice with a smaller caliber! Buy a .22LR and shoot that instead or a double action revolver (Model 10, 19, 66, etc) and practice until you are smooth both single and double action.

Dry fire with a laser will help a lot too.

What gun do you have now? How is the trigger? Smooth or gritty?