The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 11, 2018, 03:30 AM   #1
poppadoer

Crimping 9mm

Simple question to anyone with more knowledge than me.Do you have to crimp "any" bullet.
Old February 11, 2018, 04:50 AM   #2
Old Stony

All bullets don't need to be crimped, but 9mm's should have a taper crimp applied. The only real reason for them to have a crimp is to hold the bullet in place better as it hits the loading ramp....it keeps the bullet from getting shoved back further into the case.
Old February 11, 2018, 06:12 AM   #3
DUNITALL

Crimping 9mm (DUNITALL)

I use a slight crimp on my 9mm loads. It tends to chamber a little better for me , but it may also keep the bullet in place.
Old February 11, 2018, 12:48 PM   #4
roadrash

I use a taper crimp on all of my semi auto pistol loads,roll crimp on all of my revolver loads.
Not only does it keep the bullet seated during recoil and loading it also removes any neck flare that I add when expanding the case mouth.
Old February 11, 2018, 12:54 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

One taper crimps(only) 9mm to keep the bullet in place and aid feeding. Even with light cast bullet loads the crimp will aid feeding.
Like Old Stony says, 9mm cartridges get pretty roughly handled while being fed into the chamber.
Old February 11, 2018, 02:34 PM   #6
rock185

I agree, taper crimp 9MM.

FWIW, years ago a coworker showed me a fired 9MM case with a primer that was so flat it looked like a melted silver metal had been poured into and filled the primer hole edge to edge. Turned out he had been ROLL crimping his 9MM reloads, resulting in grossly excessive headspace. Ugly!
Old February 11, 2018, 03:25 PM   #7
hdwhit

Quote:
pappadoer asked:
Do you have to crimp "any" bullet.
No.

On straight-walled cases (and even though it has a slight taper, we treat 9mm as straight-wall) it is generally necessary to slightly "expand" or "bell" the mouth to let the bullet seat. But since rimless straight-wall cartridges headspace on the mouth, crimping is generally not desirable and the seater die should be adjusted with just enough crimp to remove the "bell" imparted by the expander.

Remember, on straight-wall rimless cases, neck tension should be sufficient to hold the bullet in place. The crimp is not a substitute for properly sized brass with adequate neck tension.
Old February 11, 2018, 06:03 PM   #8
roadrash

I would be afraid of bullet setback without taper crimping 9mm,regardless of neck tension.
There is no logical reason not to.
Old February 11, 2018, 07:12 PM   #9
rodfac

Quote:
No.

On straight-walled cases (and even though it has a slight taper, we treat 9mm as straight-wall) it is generally necessary to slightly "expand" or "bell" the mouth to let the bullet seat. But since rimless straight-wall cartridges headspace on the mouth, crimping is generally not desirable and the seater die should be adjusted with just enough crimp to remove the "bell" imparted by the expander.

Remember, on straight-wall rimless cases, neck tension should be sufficient to hold the bullet in place. The crimp is not a substitute for properly sized brass with adequate neck tension.
Bingo...well said sir!!

Generally, the less "crimp" you can get away without bullet set back or in the case of a revolver load, forward movement, the better off you are accuracy wise. Testing for a secure bullet can be done by pressing the loaded round against your bench or even a bathroom scale and getting 40 lbs. of pressure. This procedure was recommended by none other than NRA's Ed Harris at one point in his career there.

In my personal use, I employ a minimal taper crimp with my 9mm, .38 Super, .380, and .45 ACP loads to remove the belling necessary to seat bullets straight and without shaving in the case of lead alloy. I've not had any 'set-back' issues with my handloads. HTH's Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 13, 2018, 12:06 AM   #10
BigJimP

+1 on hdwhit & rodfac's remarks...../ they are correct in my view.
Old February 13, 2018, 10:18 AM   #11
dahermit

Quote:
FWIW, years ago a coworker showed me a fired 9MM case with a primer that was so flat it looked like a melted silver metal had been poured into and filled the primer hole edge to edge. Turned out he had been ROLL crimping his 9MM reloads, resulting in grossly excessive headspace. Ugly!
That begs the question: What brand of 9mm dies comes with a roll crimp feature?

Last edited by dahermit; February 15, 2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old February 13, 2018, 11:38 AM   #12
mikld

I do not crimp any of my semi-auto handloads. I simply use a taper crimp die to remove any flare placed in the case mouth for easier bullet seating. I use as little as will allow good plunk testing. Neck tension has been sufficient for my 2, 45 ACPs and my 3, 9mms...
Old February 13, 2018, 06:53 PM   #13
Tsquared

Quote:
I do not crimp any of my semi-auto handloads. I simply use a taper crimp die to remove any flare placed in the case mouth for easier bullet seating. I use as little as will allow good plunk testing. Neck tension has been sufficient for my 2, 45 ACPs and my 3, 9mms...
This!
Old February 14, 2018, 04:40 PM   #14
Average Joe

If I expand the case to seat the bullet, then yes I will crimp it to get the bell out.
Old February 14, 2018, 10:04 PM   #15
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
Do you have to crimp "any" bullet.
No not all pistol bullets. Usually the one's labeled Magnum and most rifle cartridges.
Old February 15, 2018, 07:22 PM   #16
dannyl1

crimp 9mm

hi, I too am getting into reloading for 9mm. Do you recommend the 3 or 4 die set for pistols, like the Lee dies with the extra factory crimp die?
reason I'm asking is that I purchased 1000 reloaded ammo from a dealer and about 10% would not feed in my pistol. would the FCD eliminate this problem?
Couldn't I just resize the loaded round to make sure it chambered?
Old February 16, 2018, 04:55 PM   #17
Average Joe

danny 1, all my die sets are 4 die carbide Lee sets. It's always good to have the extra die, and more expensive to buy later . I do use them all.
Old February 16, 2018, 08:28 PM   #18
black_hog_down

You don't want to push the lip of an auto cartridge into the bullet. The 9mm, 10mm, 40 cal, etc headspace off of the lip You do want them to hold the bullet in place during recoil and also feed properly so a taper crimp is not a bad idea and may be necessary if you flared the mouth of the case to seat the bullet.
Rimmed cartridges like the 357 Magnum, 44 magnum, 38 spc, etc headspace off of the rim and you can crimp the crap out of those.
As a general rule you crimp the rimmed cartridges and do not crimp the auto cartridges.
Old February 16, 2018, 09:07 PM   #19
Baldwin

I add taper crimp until the bullet goes "plunk" in the barrel of my G19.