The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2018, 06:49 PM   #1
RC20

Hornady and Lyman Gen 6 Powder Dispenser Comparison

The Lyman Gen 6 is out for warranty, seems to be common to the whole group.

That said, found a very good sale on Hornady (less than the Lyman which was a very good sale) and picked one up.

I use mostly stick powders and those are the harder to tune.

The Lyman is a touch screen and pretty simple.

The Hornady is a press membrane controls and far more complicated.
In general, the Hornady has a lot of features and I don't care for the small membrane buttons. It works, works pretty well.

Its less happy with stick powders but adjust the dispensing speed down and its good. Pretty well spot on or a tenth over.

I don't like when it goes over it covers over the display, you have to hit enter to get to see how far over.

There additional ways to tune the dispensing but all they do is slow it down to dirt slow speed. Not worth it. Worst case you could set low and pick a few grains out of the tube and hit spot on.

The Hornady has a simpler hopper and that cleans easier.
The drain spout is not nearly as good as the Lyman pick the ramp out and let it drain. Its a plastic cap you have to try to turn while holding a powder can under it.

Harder to clean the Hornady tube out.

Lyman overall I like better, its a bit harder to clean the hopper area and you can spill powder into the guts (dumps out ok)

I like touch screens but the Lyman is tiny and best used with a touch pen.
At least mine before it went off cal, was not really responsive to touch.
Will see if the replacement works better.

I have a larger Lyman scale with a larger touch screen that works fine.

To tune the Lyman to stick powder you put in a plastic insert in the end of the tube and that works just fine.

All in all I like the Lyman better but the Hornady is ok, just more features and complexity that doesn't get you anything. It runs faster but has to slow down and eek out grains at the end and the Lyman goes fine and the final end is quick and accurate enough.