The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 27, 2001, 11:08 AM   #1
Bob243

I am not sure if I posted this in the correct forum, but I was looking through a H&K Catalog, they have a shotgun with a 14"barrel, there is a note on it that BATF Charges Apply...

What does BATF Charges apply mean? What are they for and how much???

Thanks,
Bob
Old January 27, 2001, 01:00 PM   #2
ctdonath

Shotguns with barrles under 18" are in the same legal category as machineguns, as defined by the National Fireams Act of 1934 (NFA). To legally obtain one, you must fill out some BATF paperwork, get fingerprinted, get photographed, get permission of your local Chief Law Enforcement Officer (sheriff, judge, AG, DA, ...), wait a couple months for the BATF to process all this, and pay a $200 tax. For all this red tape, time, money, and possible hassles (CLEOs often refuse to sign - no signature, no gun), you get federal permission to possess the gun, your name on permanent federal records as "owner of really nasty gun", and must ask the BATF for permission to take it out of state.

Go hang out in TFL's "Full Auto" forum for a while; the focus there is on machineguns but is a catch-all for any NFA-related guns and issues.

Be aware too that many states prohibit short-barreled shotguns.
Old January 27, 2001, 03:47 PM   #3
Bob243

OK, I was just wondering what that ment.... Thanks for your info....
Old January 27, 2001, 04:30 PM   #4
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Even though the question's been answered, we'll move this to the Shotgun Forum for posterity.
Rich
Old January 27, 2001, 04:47 PM   #5
Gorthaur

I was under the impression that a shotgun manufactured with a short barrel was an AOW (any other weapon), with a $5 tax instead of a $200 tax. Of course, it's a moot point if you live in one of the states that doesn't allow it at all.

Old January 27, 2001, 05:13 PM   #6
Monkeyleg

Not to mention that in many cities the chief law enforcement officer is often pressured into not signing the Form 4's, even though the law mandates that he must. If you want to challenge him, you can spend $20,000 to $30,000 to sue him. You'll win, but that's a lot of dough.

Dick
Old January 28, 2001, 10:58 AM   #7
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Gorthaur
If it was originally prodcued as a shotgun (i.e. with a buttstock) then it is legally considered a short barrelled shotgun (sbs). If the receiver came new from the factory and has never had a buttstock attached and was originally built in it's class three configuartion (pistol grop stock nd short barrel) then it's an AOW (Any Other Weapon). HTH