The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 19, 2012, 06:11 PM   #1
jhamrick

1860 cimarron

i'm new to the forum. i just recieved a new cimarron 1860 a couple of days ago. could anyone explain to me their understanding of what makes a cimarron different from other ubertis. any help appreciated.
Old February 19, 2012, 06:36 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

I won't be any help with the Cimarron...

....I could only guess and make a bunch of assumptions.

There are many here who have Cimarron pistols and know precisely wht makes them desirable.

I will limit my response to welcoming you to the forum.
Old February 19, 2012, 07:21 PM   #3
Willie Sutton

Cimmaron's are Uberti's.
So are Taylor's.
So are Stoeger's.

They are the three main importers of Uberti products.

All are identical save for slight marking differences.

Welcome Aboard, and enjoy it! They are a ball to shoot. Cimarron's have gained a reputation for being "top shelf", but there does not seem to be any quality difference *today* between the three main importers. In the old days... Uberti products were variable. These days they all seem very nice. In any event you have the cream of the crop in a Black Powder replica.

Willie

Old February 19, 2012, 10:26 PM   #4
ClemBert

Just MHO but I think Willie has it right. Maybe 10 or 15 years there could have been a difference but probably not these days. I have a Cimarron out of Texas Jacks and it's pretty nice but I bet a Taylor's is probably just as good. BTW, it doesn't have any special markings but I hear some do.
Old February 20, 2012, 01:15 AM   #5
Hawg

Dunno bout now but Cimarron's are supposed to be hand picked from the factory. They have the Italian markings hidden and have the Cimarron addy roll stamped in the same style as the originals. At least that's the way my 73 Cimarron Colt is. All the Italian proofs, Uberti name etc are all under the ejector housing. You have to actually take the housing off to see them. The only marking on the frame is the export cat. number which is required by Italian law.
The fit, finish and action is superb.
Old February 20, 2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Willie Sutton

Having had both a Taylor's import and a Cimarron import in my hands within the last three weeks, both freshly imported, I can say with pretty high confidence that they are the same.

Neither has the stupid markings "Made in Italy, Black Powder Only" on the side of the barrel like so many others do. These markings are hidden under the loading lever area.

Both are beautifully finished.

The Cimarron ones have a roll marking on the top of the BBL with Cimmaron and their address in Texas. The Taylor's ones have no markings on the top of the barrel at all.

The Cimarron ones are not "hand picked at the factory" as they have the unique Cimarron roll markings on the top of the BBL, which is added BEFORE they are blued, so... they are made from the get-go for Cimarron.

There does not seem to be any difference in any of the quality of finish or assembly of either of them.

Personally... I prefer the Taylor's ones as they do not have the Cimarron marking on the barrel top, but both are beauties. I'd be happy with either.

Willie

Old February 20, 2012, 10:04 AM   #7
rdstrain49

Has anybody checked the arbor fit? All of my recent Uberti's have arbors that are way too short. Not a difficult fix. The rest of the weapons fit and finish is spot on.
Old February 20, 2012, 10:42 AM   #8
Willie Sutton

None of the ones I have handled in the last month have been anything but perfect, and those are ones imported by Taylors, Cimarron, and Stoeger.

I have heard about short arbors, but have never seen one myself. My own collection of Uberti C&B revolvers is about two dozen and all of those are fine... so...

Willie

Old February 20, 2012, 11:07 AM   #9
ClemBert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdstrain49
Has anybody checked the arbor fit? All of my recent Uberti's have arbors that are way too short. Not a difficult fix. The rest of the weapons fit and finish is spot on.
My Cimarron/Texas Jack is an 1858 so I can't answer the question based on that. However, my plain jane Uberti Walker from Cabelas does have the short arbor issue. I think they all do.
Old February 20, 2012, 02:13 PM   #10
Hawg

Yeah, from what I understand it's not the arbor that's short but the arbor hole is drilled too deep. Whichever way it is all Uberti's are that way.
Old February 20, 2012, 02:38 PM   #11
Noz

I have never seen a Uberti C & B in 1851 or 1860 variations that did not have the classic mis-fit between the arbor and the barrel.
Old February 20, 2012, 06:40 PM   #12
Willie Sutton

OK, now I'm curious: Describe same in detail?

My Uberti world has been with Walkers, Remingtons, and Dragoons, and none of them seem bad in any way.

Appreciate the education.

Thanks,

Willie

Old February 20, 2012, 08:40 PM   #13
ClemBert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Haggen
Yeah, from what I understand it's not the arbor that's short but the arbor hole is drilled too deep. Whichever way it is all Uberti's are that way.
Yes sir, you are correct! Poor selection of words on my part. The arbor hole is too deep. The arbor length is perfect.
Old February 20, 2012, 09:04 PM   #14
Hawg

Quote:
OK, now I'm curious: Describe same in detail?

My Uberti world has been with Walkers, Remingtons, and Dragoons, and none of them seem bad in any way.

Appreciate the education.

Thanks,

Willie
On Colt style revolvers the cylinder pin is the arbor. On Uberti's the hole in the barrel assembly is drilled so deep that the wedge can actually affect cylinder gap. A Pietta is drilled the same depth as the arbor is long so it bottoms out in the hole. Take a Colt and remove the cylinder. Then put the barrel assembly back on sans cylinder. Turn the barrel assembly so the lug is next to the frame and see how far past flush it goes. A Pietta won't go past flush. There are cures for Uberti's such as drilling and tapping the end of the arbor or silver soldering a hump on it or simply dropping a plug in the bottom of the hole. Here's the fit on a Pietta.

Old February 21, 2012, 11:40 PM   #15
Willie Sutton

Thanks, I'll examine my collection with interest.

Appreciate the information!

Willie

Old February 23, 2012, 10:49 AM   #16
logeorge

1860 Cimarron

I have a Uberti 1861, a Pietta 1851, a Signature Series Pocket Navy and a Uberti 1860 which I assembled from a kit. All have arbor holes which are too deep to one degree or another. I put a plug in the bottom of the hole to take up the slack and make the bottom of the barrel even with the front of the frame. Mine came out OK, but if the cylinder-to-barrel gap ends up too large you might have to take some material off the barrel lug where it meets the frame. Be careful to keep it parallel to the original surface. Best to do it on a milling machine. There is a thread on "The Open Range" forum where the author drills a hole in the end of the arbor and puts a Dillon cartridge guide pin on to lengthen the arbor. I chose not to drill the arbor on the theory that the hole would reduce the area bearing on the wedge. Instead I drilled the bottom of the arbor hole and made a steel plug with a tang to go in the drilled hole. Either method will work and the difference is likely more theoretical than practical. L. O. G.
Old March 11, 2012, 01:55 AM   #17
Fuzzball

Difference between...

Cimmaron is primarily an importer of Uberti firearms. However, the Uberti manufactures guns to Cimmaron specifications, and usually a Cimmaroon designed part will be included. A Cimmaron revolver is a better more refined or stronger gun than otherwise made by Uberti.

So, Uberti revolvers are "custom" made to Cimmarron standards. Other importers simply sell and ship.

Fuzzball
Old March 11, 2012, 06:38 AM   #18
Rifleman1776

Timely thread.
A friend of mine just purchased a Cimarron birdshead in .45 lc for cowboy horseback shooting.
He wants it's action slicked up. I couldn't find any exploded views on the internet except for at Cimarron web site. And it is very poor quality, can't read. I'm not a pro but most SAs are easy mechanisms to work with. Still, I don't want any surprises. He doesn't want to get parts back in a shoe box. Think I'll pass.
Old March 11, 2012, 07:31 AM   #19
zullo74

If you need a diagram to assemble ANY single action revolver, it's a good thing you are passing on this project!
Old March 11, 2012, 09:01 AM   #20
Hawg

Quote:
If you need a diagram to assemble ANY single action revolver, it's a good thing you are passing on this project!
True dat, it doesn't get any simpler. I was taking them apart and putting them back together when I was 10 and there was no internet and I never even heard of a schematic.