The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 22, 2000, 10:05 AM   #1
joegerardi

Hi:
Watching The Mummy" the other night. (Fun movie, lots of bad gun handling, but still fun.) And I was wondering: What are those revolvers the main character used? Are they SA, DA, what? He was firing them awfully fast for SA. They were pretty neat looking. If anyone knows, thanks for imparting the info.
Old March 22, 2000, 01:52 PM   #2
Desert Dog

The revolvers were either Webleys or Enfields. The autos look like 1911's...

------------------
.45 Super... Fat and FAST...

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson
Old March 22, 2000, 02:38 PM   #3
Betty

Did you see the guy on the boat who shot his revolver about 19 times without reloading? Movie guns!
Old March 22, 2000, 04:20 PM   #4
joegerardi

Runt:
Sure did, and I have a comment on that: I don't think that it's poor gun handling, I think it's economics. In that particular scene we see him shooting from the front, then we see him continuing to shoot from a side shot. I think it's the same shot, from 2 different camera angles, spliced together, hence so many rounds from a six shooter. I've started watching films more closely, and it appears that they do this quite often. I think (and I stress THINK) this is why we see so many 12-round six-shooter.

But, back to my original question: Webleys or Enfields, eh? Anyone know which model???
Old March 24, 2000, 03:07 AM   #5
Paul B.

I don't think they were Webly's or Enfields. They had ejector rods like single action Colts. I have the feeling that maybe they were of Belgian or French make or from one of the balkan countries. Several possiblities are the French Modele d'Ordonnace Mle 1874, and the Balkan countries first version of the Rast-Gasser. Both strongly resemble the revolvers in the movie. Both have ejector rods in the manner of the Colt.
It is kind of nice to see something exotix (?) in firearms in a movie, rather that what is normally used. Even creates a bit of a mystery for us to solve.
Paul B.
Old March 29, 2000, 10:43 AM   #6
monoboy

I've been wondering the same thing about the pistols. Boy, I'd really like to that roll-up duffle full of guns. That was pretty cool. I need to get a W97 take-down first though.

When I do, my GF said she would make me a high-tech duffle roll out of cordura and fastex buckles to hold all of my stuff.
Old March 29, 2000, 10:21 PM   #7
Jim V

The question was asked once before, I would guess the revolvers were/are European by the "bag" style grips. If I remember correctly the hero was in the French Foreign Legion once so the revolvers could have been French from his service at that time.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"
Old March 29, 2000, 11:15 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'll have to watch that movie again. The revolver may well have been the Swiss 7.5mm Ordonnanzrevolver Modell 1882 which had an external ejector rod, DA capabilty, octagon barrel, and for want of a better description, a peculiar grip. Not to be outdone, the Danes had the 9mm MOdel 1880 Officer's Revolver which has an external ejector rod, pivoting loading gate.

If anything, either of these guns lack the grace of a Colt SAA or the simple lines of a Colt or S&W DA revolver.