The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 9, 2011, 10:56 PM   #1
BigHungry702

Shotgun noob

i just recently got into guns, and i was told to start off with a shotgun just for sport and self defense, where should i start?
Old February 9, 2011, 11:24 PM   #2
abelacres

Short Answer: Remington 870 or Mossberg 500

Long Answer: Depends. What are you specifically planning on using this shotgun for?
Old February 9, 2011, 11:33 PM   #3
zippy13

Greetings, BigHungry702 and welcome aboard

How about starting with a local Introduction to Firearms class. Check your local gun shop or shooting club for info. Some jurisdictions require such a class prior to purchasing a firearm.
Old February 10, 2011, 08:06 AM   #4
aTm papi

greetings! mossberg or remington is where I'd start off at as well.

Gig 'Em!
Old February 10, 2011, 10:02 AM   #5
scorpion_tyr

Another vote for Remington 870 or Mossberg 500, and lots of ammo and range time.

There's a whole world of shotguns out there, but these are the two classics, and neither will cost you too much new, and can be had for less than $200 used.
Old February 10, 2011, 11:13 AM   #6
microman

Quote:
i just recently got into guns, and i was told to start off with a shotgun just for sport and self defense, where should i start?
I am a shotgun noob as well. Hope to be buying my first one soon. Others here have told me to look into the Remington 870, Mossberg 500 and the Partner Pump.
Old February 10, 2011, 01:22 PM   #7
oneounceload

Quote:
I am a shotgun noob as well. Hope to be buying my first one soon. Others here have told me to look into the Remington 870, Mossberg 500 and the Partner Pump.
That would depend on your intended usage - pumps can do a wide variety of things OK, but they rarely are the best choice in many applications
Old February 10, 2011, 03:40 PM   #8
spyderdude

oneounceload: What do you mean pump shotguns are rarely the best choice in many applications? People use them in defensive and hunting applications all the time. They're relatively simple to use and don't cost much and can fire both low-power and high powered loads. Some shotgun loads may not cycle properly in semi autos.

Anyway to the OP: Look at the above mentioned and find out what fits you best. There are tons of accessories available for the Mossberg 500/590 and Remington 870.
Old February 10, 2011, 04:02 PM   #9
BigHungry702

basically im just looking for a gun for range time, and home defense. Not ready to get super serious yet, but just something thats fun to shoot
Old February 10, 2011, 04:20 PM   #10
zippy13

The pump action is typically a general purpose gun, sort of the Swiss army knife of shotguns. The Swiss army knife do the job, but a box full of the appropriate tools is often preferred. I sold my only pump gun many years ago, now I have application specific shotguns, rifles and pistols and revolvers to suit my needs. This doesn't mean that a pump doesn't make a good introduction-to-shotgunning gun. You may remain a casual shooter and never see the need for a different gun. Or, you may get into a specific activity and decide you want a coach gun for cowboy shooting, an O/U for clays, a bolt action for slugs, or a Supermag auto for honkers.

There are those who profess you can never have too many shotguns.
Old February 10, 2011, 06:22 PM   #11
oneounceload

Quote:
oneounceload: What do you mean pump shotguns are rarely the best choice in many applications? People use them in defensive and hunting applications all the time. They're relatively simple to use and don't cost much and can fire both low-power and high powered loads. Some shotgun loads may not cycle properly in semi autos.

Pumps tend to be heavier than well-made SxS for upland use, semis, IMO, work better for waterfowl heavy loads, semi's and O/U dominate the clay target games; pumps can be easily short-shucked when someone is under duress and stress fore HD. Again, a pump can do a lot of things, but in most applications, other guns are better choices