The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 20, 2015, 10:25 AM   #1
ACESDUGOUT

Inventory find need ID on a pair of Cartridge Cases

Howdy Y'all
I found a pair of cartridge cases that have me stumped one looks like a 30-40 Krag (headstamp Peters 30 U. S. G.) that has been stretched and necked down, The other, another 30 that looks like a cut down Krag (REM UMC 30 USA/PETERS 30 USG) but have no clue about that one.
Thanks for the help.
Yours in service
James Acerra
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30USGpeterscasej.jpg (74.2 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 30usaremumccasej.jpg (61.0 KB, 80 views)
Old July 21, 2015, 08:56 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The colorful font is not really needed to get our attention.

The first case looks like a standard .30-40 Krag commercial case. Both "30 U.S.A. (U.S. Army) and .30 U.S.G. (U.S. Government) have been used on .30-40 cases.

The other is a cut down .30-40 Krag case, possibly for some wildcat or with the idea of making a pistol cartridge. A short Krag case was used in a Navy line-throwing gun, but I don't have any dimensions on it, so I can't say if that is one or not. .30-40 Krag cases have been used as the base for various .44 caliber revolver wildcat cartridges.

Jim
Old July 22, 2015, 10:03 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've never seen a commercially loaded line throwing cartridge for the .30-40, and I don't think any were so loaded, so I doubt if that is it.

Additionally, the primary line throwing gun for the Navy until World War II was a repurposed .45-70 Trapdoor, but with the massive increase in the size of the Navy at that time Krags and M1917 Enfields and 1903 Springfields were adapted, as well.

The one with the Peters headstamp was manufactured pre-1934, and the one with the Rem-UMC is post 1912 and most likely pre World War II.

I'm thinking early production for both as the old names for the .30-40 -- .30 USA and .30 USG really started falling out of use by the 1930s.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Last edited by Mike Irwin; July 22, 2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old July 24, 2015, 05:54 PM   #4
gyvel

Although this is a bit of a stretch, the cut down .30-40 almost looks like someone was trying to make a shotshell load for a British No. 1 Mk III .410 guard gun in its original chambering.
SIFE
Old July 24, 2015, 06:15 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Actully might not be such a stretch....

Not a bad thought.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 17, 2015, 07:13 AM   #6
F. Guffey

Just guessing but I have cases that look like the short case. All of my cases that took like the short case lost their shoulder and neck above the shoulder/case body juncture. I understand the crimp after seating, a crimp before seating a bullet would complicate bullet seating.

F. Guffey

Tags
30 usa , 30 usg