The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 19, 2008, 10:51 PM   #1
Leadbelcher

Ruger for CAS?

Howdy all-
I'm just getting interested in CAS, and have a question. I have a .357 Blackhawk, and would like to get a .44 Super Blackhawk. Would this be a decent pair?
thanks!
LB

Last edited by Leadbelcher; May 20, 2008 at 08:41 AM.
Old May 20, 2008, 08:50 AM   #2
deanadell

Yeah...why not.

The only problem is having to carry two different calibers of ammo with you.

What caliber is your levergun? IF you have a .44 lever gun, you're going to want to eventually pick up a second .44 revolver.....if you have a .357 lever gun, you're going to want to eventually pick up another .357 revolver.

Not a rule or anything, it just makes it MUCH easier to have to only keep up with one caliber at a shoot
Old May 20, 2008, 06:35 PM   #3
Hawg

With adjustable sights you'll be limited to modern.
Old May 21, 2008, 09:24 AM   #4
deanadell

Quote:

What's the limitation? You still get to shoot the entire course of fire.....
Old May 21, 2008, 09:26 AM   #5
Hawg

Yes you get to shoot all stages. You'll just be limited to modern class. No big deal to some, is to others that want to shoot traditional, classic or whatever.
Old June 12, 2008, 08:50 PM   #6
PineyWoodsPlace

Quote:
Actually, with adjustable sight guns you can shoot Modern or any age-based category you're otherwise qualified for - 49er (49+), Senior (60+), Silver Senior (65+), or Elder Statesman (70+). The course of fire is the same for all categories.

As previously mentioned, having all your guns in the same caliber simplifies things a great deal. Another thing to consider is that 38/357 is quite a bit cheaper to shoot than 44.
Old June 12, 2008, 10:27 PM   #7
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Actually, with adjustable sight guns you can shoot Modern or any age-based category you're otherwise qualified for - 49er (49+), Senior (60+), Silver Senior (65+), or Elder Statesman (70+). The course of fire is the same for all categories.

As previously mentioned, having all your guns in the same caliber simplifies things a great deal. Another thing to consider is that 38/357 is quite a bit cheaper to shoot than 44.
+1 I highly recommend making sure all your cartridge guns are the same caliber. It's very embarrassing to load a rifle with the wrong bullets (don't ask me how I know).
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old June 16, 2008, 09:04 PM   #8
Wleoff

Back to the other part of your question, Rugers make great CAS or SASS pistols. I've got two Ruger Vaquero's, Blackhawks with fixed sights, which have had over 20,000 rounds thru them. they're still going strong. SASS #9662
Old June 16, 2008, 09:24 PM   #9
bobn

rugers are great guns.....but for me handle too slow. bob
Old June 17, 2008, 02:59 AM   #10
Hawg

Quote:
rugers are great guns.....but for me handle too slow. bob
Their sa's don't do anything for me either. I had a couple, just can't deal with them.