The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 11, 2008, 02:13 PM   #101
GrumpyDad

Hi-Point

Hey, I'm new to this forum thing but it really got my attention. I'm an avid gun enthusaist and I go to my local range every week and along with my Colt, and other guns. I never forget to pac all 4 of my Hi-Points and go shooting. No their not pretty and a little bulky but do you think that if you were in a shoot out that the "perp" would take the time to comment on how your gun looked? I have had all my Hi-Points for many years and all I do when I get one is take it apart and clean it really well and oil it with some good heavy gun oil and the way we go. If you keep them clean and take care of them their just fine for what they cost. Your not gettin a Cadillac for the price of a Geo. Maintanence means everything.
Old February 11, 2008, 10:05 PM   #102
North Star

I have shot all kinds of guns in various calibers. Sold the guns after the first child was born and now that they are grown up and gone I wanted to get back to shooting again. After a lot of internet research and gun shop hunting, I purchase the Hi-Point C-9. Great intro gun. I enjoy it everytime I target shoot. About 2 FTF in 500 rounds. ( 500 rounds is the breakin amount) Keep it cleaned and lubed every trip to the range. Liked it so much, I thought I would step up to the S&W 40. Wow was I impressed with the lack of recoil and the accuracy. It too got the cleaning and lube treatment each time. After 450 rounds only three FTF.

I had read that the C-9 had some mag issues which caused some negatives in the forums, but never had any problems with mine. When the boys come home, they want to go to the range with the Hi-Points.

I have stepped up to a Taurus PT-1911 and am also very pleased with it's performance. But that is for another thread.

I am just like most of you who take the time to look into the brands before investing the hard earned cash. I am a part of the forums if all the brands I own and I have learned a lot form them.

The Hi-Point forum was and is very informative and there is a lot of great advice on their guns. Also the great warranty form Hi-Point and the great customer Service help sell me.

A little long, but for the money, you can't go wrong to get a Hi-Point.IMHO

Sorry about the length

North Star
Old February 11, 2008, 10:18 PM   #103
38SnubFan

My experience...

I've never owned, but have shot a couple Hi-Point firearms. I know this much: They are cheap, made of cheap materials, and are quite heavy and bulky to the point I'd never own and/or carry one myself.

With a friend's C9, I couldn't even MANUALLY RACK a hollow-point into the chamber without the gun failing to properly go into battery.

All this said: At the range, first time picking one up and firing it (It was either a .380 or 9mm, I don't remember anymore), it shot cheap WWB FMJ ammo without a hitch....and was actually impressively accurate!

Again, this is not something I'd recommend for carry or even HD (since it can't reliably handle hollow-point rounds) unless it was a real SHTF scenario and you had nothing else; but if you're looking for something inexpensive to take to the range and have some fun with once in a while...I say, "Go for it!"

Just my $.02,

38SnubFan

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -A token of appreciation for the good cops.

"Good cheer and steady aim are always fashionable."

"Will...if need be!"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΑΛΒΕ!
Old February 12, 2008, 01:10 PM   #104
Uncle Ben

I'm one of those that actually truly cannot get anything more expensive. The funds are just not there, especially with my wife retiring from teaching to take care of our new baby. That caused me to finally quit thinking about getting a handgun for SD, and just get it!. Since then I have really gotten into guns again and hope to eventually have several, including a decent 1911, 12 or 20ga, .22, and proabably a snub .38

BUT...in the meantime, I want to have something in our home to protect my family. And as someone said earlier, that really good 9mm on layaway will not do much good for me and my family if I should need it tonight. I'd rather have the hi point NOW and save for the NEXT one.

No, you won't see it on a cop's hip, or in the hands of a soldier, but that is not who they are intended for. They are intended for people just like me, and I will not stop at the hi point, but will keep it bedside until I can realistically go to the next step up. I doubt I will ever sell it, instead it will just be at the bottom of my little collection, once I have the means to upgrade one caliber at a time.
Old February 12, 2008, 03:01 PM   #105
North Star

Hey Uncle Ben, Your present situation is the reason Hi-Point makes their line of firearms. May I sugguest the C-9 to start with. I preferred the C-9 without the compensator. Put about 500 rounds through it to break it in. Clean and lube often and if there are any issuses, Hi-Point will make it right. The warranty is for the life of the gun. So if you purchase one from any one (first second or third hand) Hi-Point will honor the lifetime warranty. Can't beat that. When you are ready, enjoy shopping for your next gun. You will not be dissappointed. IMHO

North Star
Old February 12, 2008, 03:41 PM   #106
GrumpyDad

Uncle Ben,You go get you one and if you buy it new take it home take it apart clean it and oil it real good and you will not be disappointed. I also agree that the C9 compact would a great way to start. I clean mine every time I shoot and I have had years of enjoyment out of it.
Old February 12, 2008, 04:02 PM   #107
Perldog007

Ben, I love my 'Points - BUT!!! if keeping for primary SD/HD take a looksee over at the Hi Point forums

http://hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/

Some of them do just fine out of the box. The factory will tell you they are designed only for ball ammo. Sometimes polishing the feedramp, wearing in the magazine springs, and/or tweaking the feed lips on the mags are needed to get them reliable.

All these are easily done by most owners. You may also have to send it back to BeeMiller. Just sort this out before you need it.

That having been said, I am pleased that there is a defense tool within reach of nearly every budget. I like both of mine and hope to own more.
Old February 12, 2008, 05:56 PM   #108
Uncle Ben

To the last 3 responses: thanks very much for that input. I should have been more clear, but I recently did buy the C9. However, I have not been able to get out to shoot it. I won't try to make excuses, I know I should have taken it out already. I have "played" with it quite a bit at home...loading, unloading, racking the slide, aiming, getting comfortable with my grip, etc. Basically doing everything I can to get very comfortable with the gun in general.

Sounds like I should go ahead and take it apart now to lube it even before my first trip to the range??

Can any of you verify what I heard about using winchester in the C9, that they will not feed consistently? I can get a box of 100 from walmart for $12, so it is quite tempting to use those at the range, but of course I don't want to damage the gun to save $ either.

I'm sticking w/ FMJ for now due to the talk of HP's in it, and have Remington FMC's loaded in it. I'm going to read up on that forum also.

Thanks again!
Old February 12, 2008, 06:44 PM   #109
Perldog007

Don't take it apart until you get 2-3k rounds through it.

WWB from wally world is okay for practice. I use PMC ball 'round the house. YMMV

My C9 is a last ditch stash gun and a frequent woods gun as is my JCP .40.

Just remember it's not a Sig, which is why us clock punchers can own them and still sleep indoors.
Old February 13, 2008, 04:15 PM   #110
GrumpyDad

If you dont take it apart before you take it to the range do yourself a favor and lock the slide back and put a couple drops of oil in it. If nothing else it will add to the piece of mind that it does have some lube other than what little it came with which in my experieneces has been very little. If you have anymore questions pm me and I would be more than happy to help in anyway I can.
Old February 13, 2008, 05:10 PM   #111
IdahoG36

Hi Points are fine for the range. Unless you are financially unable to purchase anything else, I would not trust one for HD duties. There are plenty of other choices available that are much better quality for a little more $. If I couldn't afford anything else, and the first rule of a gunfight is to have a gun, then I would use one for HD.
Old October 15, 2008, 03:14 PM   #112
gungun

Contrary to popular belief, many buy these weapons because they are cheap and fun to shoot. I've put ~300 rounds through mine with zero problems. Accuracy is on par with a Glock. Recoil is less. Extra clips are fairly cheap ($15 - 8rnd, $18 - 10rnd). It's +P rated. Granted, low mag capacity is a detractor for some. Some call it ugly; others call it a Glock. In fact, people have asked me if it was some kind of Beretta or Glock.

I taught my wife to fire a pistol with my c9. She had never shot anything other than a 20g youth auto shotgun before. She did experience some failure to feeds but she limp-wristed every FTF. As technique improved, the FTFs went away. A blow-back design will highlight those that have poor technique, including those that limp-wrist. Together we have over 500 rounds through it and the only failures observed have been in the hands of an inexperienced shooter; my wife. Those failures went away as her technique improved.

One of the ways HP saves money is by limiting their QA before a weapon goes out the door. I'm sure they have a higher lemon rate than guns that cost 4x-plus as much. No doubt about it. Just the same, they stand behind every gun they make. Additionally, I believe it's important to understand the reasons why they tend to have a poor reputation in the larger gun community: higher than average lemon rate, mags sometimes need tweaking, stiff mag springs, and seemingly, lots of "experienced" shooters limp-wristing while they shoot. If checked, you'll find these weapons are always rated well in professional reviews where function matters.

Lastly, I can afford better. I can afford a lot better. While I purchased this gun strictly to throw lead down range, it's proved reliable enough for HD consideration. So please stop with the qualifier, "if you can't afford anything else." These guns work and work well. If it doesn't, call the factory, send it in, or improve your technique. Afterwards, it will work and work well. To say gun snobbery is alive and well is an understatement. If you've never shot one, it's safe to say, you don't have anything to contribute here.

To be clear, these are not refined weapons. If you want or require refinement, buy something else. If you want something that is inexpensive, reliable, has first class support, accurate, utilitarian, low recoil, and fun to shoot, this weapon makes for a good choice. If you're looking for a SD/HD weapon, because of the potential QA issues, it's probably best to judge on a per weapon basis; doing so only after break in (300-500 rounds).
Old October 15, 2008, 03:28 PM   #113
rogertc1

All in all there is nothing wrong with the Hi-Piont. Only it is inexpensive and ugly. Works 100% of the time but it is not a Glock, S&W, nor a Colt. Nothing wrong buying one in my opinion if you want one.
Old October 15, 2008, 03:50 PM   #114
lou60

Hi Point

I have a C9 and two of my friends have them. I have put over 3 thousands rounds through mine without a single problem. It is ugly, it is heavy, but it shoots straight with whatever has been loaded in it. I used it for my CCW class and I was asked what is that? But when the firing was over everyone was impressed with the grouping. It is one the guns loaded guns in the house and I would not hesitate to grab it if the need was to arise. There are better guns to look at, but I would buy another if this one fell apart on me.
Old October 16, 2008, 06:54 AM   #115
gregjc9

I've had a C9 since March of this year. I have been very pleased with it, and am able to get pretty good groupings with it. I wont carry it, but I do enjoy taking it to the range, and it's usally the one assigned nightstand duty. It's a lot of gun for the money. Polish the feed ramp and it'll perform much better. IMHO, given the warranty and what you get for your money, it's hard to go wrong buying one.
Old October 16, 2008, 04:38 PM   #116
dgludwig

My elderly parents live in a relatively high-crime neighborhood and are subsisting mostly on Social Security and my dad's modest pension. Though my dad is not "into" guns (like I am!), he does own a High Point (HP) 9mm pistol for HD duty. For a while I was concerned that his HP might not be up to the role my dad envisioned and I took him and his HP to the range on several occasions for some practice and validation.

To my admittedly biased surprise, the HP performed perfectly, time after time. It never malfunctioned after several hundred rounds( something I can't say for more than a couple of my own "high-end" pistols) and was pretty darned accurate to boot. I feel entirely comfortable that, in the event that my parents find the need to protect themselves, the HP is more than up to the job.

Do I want a High Point? No. I'm way too much into aesthetics and specificity. As for carrying concealed, toting an HP would be akin to stuffing a Black and Decker rechargeable drill into my breeches. But for folks who find themselves in the same socio-economic situation my parents are in, I'm very grateful that the High Point company is providing a reliable, affordable means of self-defense in the form of a pistol that might not look good but performs well in the face of extreme adversity.
Old October 26, 2008, 03:20 PM   #117
BADMAN400

First, I have a fairly large and varied collection of firearms, ranging from HP to HK, from XD to XCR. I can find something to like about all of them. I guess I'm a bonafide enthusiast. Allow me to give credit where it's due.

The HP C-9 was my first pistol. At the time I was too ignorant to know what a POS the HP's supposedly are. In this case the saying "ignorance is bliss" must've been accurate. The C-9 is largely responsible for me becoming such an avid shooter and collector. It was a fun, reliable and accurate pistol.

I went on to purchase the JHP-45, the 995 and the 4095. At exactly 1997 rounds I sold the C-9 to a cousin for slightly less than full purchase price and it is still running strong for him. I still have the other 3 HPs. The JHP-45 now has 427 rounds through, the 995 has 430 rounds thru, and the 4095 has 1100through.

All of my HP's are fun and reliable. Ugly? Maybe. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For me, the "Planet of the Apes" look kinda grew on me...lol.

I did install the ATI stock on the 995, which makes it look sorta like my "purdy" Beretta CX4 Storm, and I fashioned a home made bipod mod for the 4095, but other than that they're mostly stock and still running strong.

I did wear out the FP and the mag release spring on the C-9 at around the 1200 mark. HP sent the parts to me free. I installed them and had no trouble after.

I also sent the 4095 in for a trigger problem years ago. Tom, the HP owner, went through the gun completely. He not only repaired the gun for free, but also sent two free mags and 100 rounds of ammo back with the repaired rifled, all shipped free.

Can't say enough about the super value the HP line represents, and the great CS/company/people that stand behind this brand. I would not hesitate to grab any of them if needed in a SD or HD situation. I do have more expensive/powerful/"better" weapons designated for SD/HD purpose, but the JHP-45 also stays loaded with Corbon DPX (which it feeds perfectly) and in easy reach just in case.
Old October 26, 2008, 03:45 PM   #118
luvsasmith

Miss my JHP 45

That was the only Hi Point I ever shot but it never jammed or malfunctioned once. Hollowpoints, ball ammo, it ate everything. Had to make some room in the safe though, and it found a new home. But it was a VERY dependable gun.
Old October 26, 2008, 09:13 PM   #119
raimius

Having no direct experience with High Points, I will not try to comment on firing/reliability.

Somewhere along the line, someone mentioned CCW with a highpoint. Personally, that seems like a huge pistol, for what caliber you get. For CCW purposes, there are much easier to conceal firearms for not much more money. KTs, LCPs, Bersas, and a slew of .38 revolvers would seem to be better suited for CCW, and not vastly more expensive.
Old October 26, 2008, 09:21 PM   #120
hdawson228

I started this thread a couple of years ago. Agreed, the Hi Points aren't suitable for concealed carry. Just too bulky and heavy. Same for my SA XD9. I just purchased the Kahr CW9 which is perfect for carry. Less than and inch wide and 15+ ounces. Very concealable and light enough it doesn't pull your waistband down. One of the obvious signs that someone is carrying? they're constantly hiking their pants up. Kahr is very well made, flawless and accurate.
Old October 26, 2008, 09:35 PM   #121
Stetson 33

Throw aways at crime scenes as they are so cheap ! I talked to a dealer at a gun show and he told me he sells a boatload of them because of the low price! My life is worth more than a couple of hundred bucks!
Old October 26, 2008, 09:56 PM   #122
hdawson228

Stetson. And of course you believe everything a "dealer" from out of town tells you. Fact: the HiPoints do exactly what they are designed for and do it well. They are covered with a life time warranty and backed up by a company that is known for excellent customer service. They provide a reliable and pretty accurate weapon for home defense or fun at the range for anyone regardless of economic status.
Old October 26, 2008, 10:48 PM   #123
powwowell

Hi-Point

I've decided to weigh in with my two cents worth. I own some Hi-Point products. I also own FN Hi-Powers, Hi-Power clones, CZs, CZ clones, Kel-Tecs, Taurus and other pistols, plus various makes of shotguns and rifles. The Hi-Point products are not as nice as the other brands. All Hi-Point triggers suck. A lot of Hi-Point magazines suck. Mags are the usual source of Hi-Point problems. Hi-Points are also top heavy, brick like. But, they work. Mine are not for sale, or trade. The C9 rides on my tractor. The carbine is a very fun plinker. As I said, they are not as nice as some of my other firearms. I don't target practice with them, nor do I "carrry" them. I can't imagine concealing a C9, much less their .40 or .45. But, I don't have to. To those who do, more power to you. To those who can't afford anything else, but who enjoy the shooting sports and need something for home or personal defense, then more power to you. Bless you! A previous poster, Threegun I think, made a challenge for a shoot off against any Hi-point shooter. He bet his guns that he would win. May I caution him against this? There are some mighty accomplished Hi-Point users out there, who use some mighty dependable Hi-Points.
Old October 26, 2008, 11:16 PM   #124
fbrown333@suddenlink

Hipoint.45

I've owned the model JHP in .45. It ate everything I fed it (hollow points,hand loads,and solid points. The only downside is the take down to clean it. I have since moved on to better built firearms since then.
For the money it will work but is big and blocky and not very good in my book for CCW JMO
Old October 26, 2008, 11:45 PM   #125
pgg

I got tired or reading about what POS' Hi-Points are. So I went and bought a C-9 a couple of months ago. Now before anyone goes after me I own over 50 firearms including 1911s, Berettas, S&W, Glock, HK, etc.

After about 500rnds I've had no problems. It eats everything. It is more reliable then the POS Sig 239 I was issued before.

I have no problem telling someone that can't afford a "high end gun" to get a Hi-Point for home defense
Closed Thread