The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 12, 2005, 12:57 PM   #1
leadcounsel

What do you carry daily?

Just wondering where I fit in the mold. In addition to keys, wallet, and whatever else, some routinely carry gun, spare mags, spare guns and mags, mace, flashlight, rifle or shotgun in the car, etc.

I carry my .40 XD 3" religiously or my KT P3AT when I can't conceal the .40. I wear my level IIA vest "usually" and when the temp is below 90 degrees (comfort only). I occassionally carry a Columbia river or S&W 3" pocket or boot knife. Even that little bit of stuff seems to really weigh a person down in the civilian world.... considering mace. Mace might be useful for vicious dogs, bears when camping in the Rockies (but that's a different story altogether and not your normal carry).

Any thoughts...?
Old September 12, 2005, 01:07 PM   #2
Bo Hunter

Quote:
I wear my level IIA vest "usually" and when the temp is below 90 degrees (comfort only).
You wear a bullet proof vest daily? Are you LE? What is your job?

I carry my wallet and keys. I'll be purchasing my Glock 27 this week. I'm selling one of my bows to get it. Conservation of toys....
Old September 12, 2005, 01:20 PM   #3
spacemanspiff

50 lbs of unsightly fat.
Old September 12, 2005, 01:27 PM   #4
leadcounsel

As to the vest, yes I wear one nearly daily. I'm a mild mannered attorney with no real enemies.

My thought process:

I own guns because the 2nd Amendment is a deep belief of mine.

I also believe that the world is unpredictable and violent (Ala 9/11, NOLA, LA riots, Watts, Beltway snipers, and untold violence in the history of the world and on a daily and regular basis).

I decided to start carrying in '02 when Colorado joined the ranks of "shall issue" CCW states.

I also study history alittle and believe alot can be learned from history. A look back at history tells us that many many many people were killed by a 9mm or smaller caliber bullet shot to the torso. This is something that modern technology can protect us against for only $500, or for most people about 1 week salary.

I also decided about 6 months ago that if I truly believe the above, and I carry a gun for those just in case moments, then it only makes sense to also wear a light vest which will stop a .40 caliber or less, which are the most common tools of BGs.

Owning one is also great for those middle of the night investigations of strange noises. I just put it on, grab a few things, and go investigate.

I also drive 2 hours per day and understand that it is also a benefit in car accidents.

It could be the best $500 I've ever spent, or could be a waste of time and money... but I'm glad I own one. Will it protect me from a 9/11 event? No. Will it protect me from the garden variety crime that I'm likely to be a victim of at some point. Well, if I carry a gun, I expect someone to use deadly force against me. Why not complete the package with a vest which protects the vitals in the torso against the more common calibers?

So, the answer is that I wear it much of the time and only skip it when the temp is simply too high.
Old September 12, 2005, 01:37 PM   #5
Bo Hunter

Link...

I don't know much about vests. Could you provide a link to the vest you wear? I'm interested in seeing what they look like, and how bulky it appears to be. Your logic makes perfect sense. And being a lawyer, your employment has probably created you a few more enemies than my job as an engineer does...
Old September 12, 2005, 02:25 PM   #6
SomeKid

Bo...

This is one of many links, you cans earch if you want more pictures.

http://www.armorwear.com/zerog/

I got the Bronze IIIA, I wish I had gotten the Gold II. I got it when I was working security, and hardly wore it due to the weight/heat. Still is nice to have though for those house checks when you here something odd. I got mine on a sale at one of the cop shops, new and about $300. While you probably won't get that good a deal, they can be bought for under 500 in many places. Make sure to check state laws, some places ban the wearing of armor. TN is ok with it, if you don't commit a crime.

My daily carry consists of a Glock 23 and one reload. I do not carry a flashlight on me (in car), or a mace, and seldom even a pocket knife (though I do at times). The sidearm, a reload, and my cell phone. That is it.
Old September 12, 2005, 02:34 PM   #7
leadcounsel

I got mine from the very helpful and knowledgable people at www.bulletproofme.com

I tend to over research products before I buy and am also price sensitive. I got the best product for my $450, which was a level II vest. I think the II will stop .38, some .357, 9mm, and .40 if memory serves.

I'm a fit 6"1" 200 lb guy and it fits well but could be an inch shorter for sitting b/c it rides alittle higher than comfortable, but no big deal. Make sure you measure exactly. I can wear it with minor discomfort. Makes me look like I gained about 10+ pounds in the torso, but not noticeable to anyone unless they touch or hug you (e.g. dating).

If you're on a budget they also sell used vests and give explanations on the site. Used ones, I understand, are just as good as new.

And check legality. CO is a gun friendly state. NY is not.
Old September 12, 2005, 04:26 PM   #8
Nimitz87

not old enough to carry...but around the house the following.

wilson CQB 1911 in a milt sparks holster/belt (its one of my dads rigs)

cellphone

keys w/ koppo stick

wallet

surefire/spare mag

uh I think thats it....

i need a knife...

Chad
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve to encourage rather than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

-Thomas Jefferson
www.insaneindustry.com

Newbieville Moderator
Old September 12, 2005, 04:51 PM   #9
Avizpls

What I carry daily...

Taurus PT140 (soon to be replaced with Kimber Ultra Carry II stainless)
Spare Magazine
SureFire E2D
Gerber Paraframe I TiNi
Wallet with ID's credit cards, minimal (if any) cash
Cell phone
Newports and ligher

Book bag with PDA, Calc, Books if im goin to/from class.
Old September 12, 2005, 05:03 PM   #10
pyrotechnic

I'm not old enough to concealed carry, but I always have my Brend-boker folder, keys, and my wallet on me When I drive back and forth to work on the weekends I carry my USP45F with a spare mag.

Regards,
Maarten
Old September 12, 2005, 05:20 PM   #11
tshadow6

people like us

What is it with people like us? I carry a handgun, spare ammo, at least one knife in addition to my wallet, cell phone, keys, hat and sunglasses. I feel NAKEDA without my gun and knife. i also go out of my way to aviod trouble.
Old September 12, 2005, 06:12 PM   #12
Bullrock

Spaceman

LMAO, again!!!
Old September 13, 2005, 03:23 AM   #13
TechGal

I carry mace, knives(usually one in my pocket, and one in my purse) and a flashlight. I don't always carry my gun, I don't have lockers at my work and until I find someway to carry on my body while working, I seldom carry at work. Outside of work I have my Glock 26 at all times.
Old September 13, 2005, 05:09 AM   #14
Low Key

When I'm not at work I carry my wallet, keys, small pocket knife, and a para ordnance P-12 .45 acp in a IWB holster. If I'm leaving town I also carry two spare mags in a belt pouch.

I can't carry at work, my company has the ignorant policy that "no firearms are allowed on company property, even in your personal vehicle, if you are caught with a firearm you will be fired"
Old September 13, 2005, 09:48 AM   #15
Doug.38PR

At the most I carry a .38 Official Police loaded with .38+P Silvertips at 4 o'clock on my hip under the sportcoat, double speedloader pouch at 3 o'clock. A .38 Detective Special loaded with regular .38 Hydrashok in my left pocket, two DS speedloaders in my right pocket along with carkeys, change, 6 glazer rounds that I load at night while at home, a pocket knife. I carry my wallat in my left inside coat pocket, a hankerchief in my left back pocket, a watch left arm a cell phone at 9 o'clock on my belt, a writing pen in my shirt pocket a checkbook in my right inside pocket.

Every once in a while just to stay familiar with autos, I will carry my .45 1911 A1 G.I. Springfield with 7 rounds in the magazine and 1 in the chamber cocked and locked in place of my Official Police and put a 7 round magazine in my right pocket.
Old September 13, 2005, 11:41 AM   #16
Evader1

Depends on where I'm at..... Most times my Kel-Tech .32 with hollows (when I'm just going about my everyday stuff) . When I'm out in the woods or into the main part of the city for any reason, Subcompact .45 with Hydra-Shok's
Old September 13, 2005, 12:10 PM   #17
Derius_T

Daily: .45 Auto, folding utility knife, cell phone, small hi-power flashlight in belt clip case. 2 extra mags for .45. Thats about it. Been thinking about a defense spray or taser of some type, but don't want to walk around looking like I have Batman's utility belt on.
Old September 13, 2005, 12:45 PM   #18
GreenSwampGunner

I carry a S&W CS9 in a Milt Sparks holster with a spare mag and an Emerson mini commander.
Old September 13, 2005, 12:49 PM   #19
ozzy1038

Xd-40 4".
Old September 13, 2005, 01:22 PM   #20
threefivesevenmag

One semi-auto holstered either IWB, OWB strongside, or Shoulder.
S & W 642
Beretta Folder
(at night) Surefire Executive Defender
- sometimes a spare mag, sometimes not.

Wallet. Keys. Cell Phone. Pen.
Old September 13, 2005, 01:37 PM   #21
Wildalaska

Daily carry

One Seecamp 380 back pocket
One wallet
One Emerson CQC 7, well used from tactical pizza cutting (last night I used it on King Crab at a japanes girl Karaoke party, you ever try to eat giant crab legs with just a set of chopsticks?)
One wad of $$

All else is superfluous.

Lead Counsel, with all due respect, I was never a mild manner attorney and I used to do divorces and criminal defense and never saw the need for a vest...I had plenty of enemies too

WildminimalistAlaska
Old September 13, 2005, 01:39 PM   #22
MEDDAC19

The odds are probably greater that you will be seriously injured or killed by a blow to the head, especially when driving for hours every day. Have you considered wearing a helmet? I don't wear a vest at all and carry 50-70% of the time. Living in a rural area I go many days without encountering any people at all, so I don't need to be on alert that often. I do have a buck or kershaw with me always however.
Old September 13, 2005, 01:45 PM   #23
Avizpls

To he who said "surefire e2d at night"

I carry mine in the ay too. If the power goes out like in LA and im in a large building on campus, where we have no backups, it could be very nice to have.
Old September 13, 2005, 01:51 PM   #24
Evader1

Thanks for reminding me guys. I carry a Surefire flashlight (G2), I think?? Swiss Army knife, Sog Folding knife with thumb assist and one of those little LED blue lights on my keys. Great little light and really bright in a pinch!
Old September 13, 2005, 01:55 PM   #25
leadcounsel

While a helmet would be a good idea, I don't think the sacrifice of visibility or peripheral vision is a good trade off. And, I think I'd look like and feel like a clown. Besides, how am I supposed to hear my blaring heavy metal music!

Alaska, what is the crime rate, population, and the race composition of Anchorage? I suspect it's much safer than Metro Denver or any other big city.

Last edited by leadcounsel; September 13, 2005 at 02:39 PM.