The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2015, 03:01 PM   #26
kealil

I’m right there with most of you with using what I can find but I found that my favorite powder for every pistol caliber I have is Bullseye. It just works and is a lot cleaner than most of the powders I’ve tried. I use Tula Primers primarily but will sub CCI if push comes to shove. I cast and powder all my own bullets for my calibers so I have no opinion of commercial bullets and all my brass is retired range brass that someone left.

For reloading the 7.92x39(The only rifle I reload for …..right now) I use my own bullets, Tula large primers, Winchester brass, and Unique for the powder. Makes for great target loads with barely any recoil. Lots of fun.
Old January 14, 2015, 01:09 AM   #27
Nick_C_S

Bullseye

Quote:
My favorite powder for every pistol caliber I have is Bullseye. It just works and is a lot cleaner than most of the powders I’ve tried.
Okay. Well. . .

Bullseye almost always burns completely; so it leaves behind no sooty stuff or half-burned flakes. In that sense, yes, it's clean. It freely ignites and that's one of its best traits. An excellent trait to have when consistency is important. And consistency is almost always important in the applications in which Bullseye is used (target, match).

But Bullseye is very . . "residuey." It leaves behind a lot of film that is almost oily in texture. It's super fine and rarely fouls; but I'd hardly characterize it as "clean." Quite messy, actually.

DGMW, I love Bullseye. It's great stuff. I'm looking at 3 Lbs of it right now. It's my go to for match loads for 38 Special. I just don't think of it as clean.
Old January 14, 2015, 09:02 AM   #28
jmorris

Free ones tend to get used first around here.
Old January 14, 2015, 05:42 PM   #29
skizzums

Tulammo kv 223 primers. Cheap, hard and HOT. Perfect for ar15s