The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 25, 2018, 10:25 PM   #51
saiga21308

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredvon4 View Post
My early CZ75 9mm is my bestest hand gun... just plain fits me , accurate, reliable, fairly easy to strip n clean... mags are plentiful and cheap
so far I have poked just about every on sale ammo through it with only some stupid cheap aluminum rounds not feeding reliably after 3 mags worth..

but as said we each have a different hand... the OP should obviously play with all in this class and do own cost fit feel assessment

The fact that MY CZ75 is old and problem free these many years is no indication that one he buys will be

I bought a sequential set of Walther PPK .32s....one was perfect one was a PITA...traded it away....I suspect slide to frame fit a tad too tight...

I had several issued Berettas...good arm IMO, no problems...never bought one for personal use...mostly cuz I am a most bang for the buck fruggle shopper

My worthless advice is seriously consider the CZ75
i had the same problems with aluminum ammo the only stuff it choked on
Old February 25, 2018, 10:41 PM   #52
saiga21308

my tz75 EAA Tanfoglio
https://preview.ibb.co/fectnc/DSCN1407.jpg

https://image.ibb.co/inoYnc/DSCN1409.jpg
Old February 26, 2018, 12:20 AM   #53
kmw1954

May I also suggest looking to the Taurus PT92 to compare to the Beretta 92. Taurus took the same gun and moved the safety from the slide to the frame. Next would be to look at the Tanfoglio in comparison to the CZ.

Just more options.
Old February 26, 2018, 07:14 AM   #54
tallball

I own the Beretta, its Taurus clone, and Tanfoglio clones of the CZ75. My Fil owns the Beretta and the "real" CZ.

We both like all of them, and both slightly prefer the CZ's. The "clones" are as good as the originals. If you try them both and like them both, used or surplus examples are common. It would be NP to get a surplus Tanfoglio and Taurus for $300 apiece. (I bought my Taurus new over 25 years ago, but my two 9mm Tanfoglios are Israeli surplus).

They are two of my favorite pistols. It's pretty much win/win.

Last edited by tallball; February 26, 2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old February 26, 2018, 09:39 AM   #55
pblanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
May I also suggest looking to the Taurus PT92 to compare to the Beretta 92. Taurus took the same gun and moved the safety from the slide to the frame. Next would be to look at the Tanfoglio in comparison to the CZ.

Just more options.
Taurus did not move the safety lever of the PT92 to the frame. The original Beretta 92 that was produced from 1976 to 1983 had a frame-mounted safety. In 1974 Beretta set up a factory in Sao Paulo, Brazil to produce Beretta 92 pistols for a Brazilian Army contract. This facility was later sold to Taurus which continued making the same pistol relabeled the PT92.

Taurus has made modifications to the original Beretta 92 design over the years including relocating the magazine release button from the heel position of the original Beretta 92 to the more customary position of the later Beretta 92 series pistols, and redesigning the safety lever to a three position lever (safe-fire-decock).
Old February 26, 2018, 10:03 AM   #56
kmw1954

pblanc, thanks for the history lesson. As a PT92 owner I already knew that about Taurus and Brazil, I just didn't realize that the safety on the Beretta was originally on the frame. I just never looked into it that closely because it really didn't make a difference to me. But now I now.
Old February 26, 2018, 10:45 AM   #57
pblanc

I don't want to hi-jack the thread but the history of the Beretta 92 series can be a bit bewildering and might be of interest to some. Lucky Gunner did a fairly good article reviewing the evolution of this pistol which can be found here:

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/guide-beretta-92/
Old February 26, 2018, 11:16 AM   #58
Fishbed77

Quote:
From a gunsmith perspective, it has fewer parts to do the same job.
It's amazing how simple the workings of a CZ75 are compared to the internals of the CZ82. It's hard to believe the same company is responsible for both. If you're ever tried to detail strip a CZ82, you know what I'm talking about!
Old February 26, 2018, 03:30 PM   #59
Bart Noir

TJB, I believe this is your first time posting here on The Firing Line. Welcome!

As a guy who owns multiple versions of both the CZ-75 and the Model 92, I also say I would be hard pressed to choose a favorite, if I had to pick one and only one.

Right now, I think I'd prefer the SP-01 Phantom from CZ. Think CZ-75 slide on a plastic frame, with the decocker version of the trigger parts. I know this doesn't meet your need for a metal frame. (But check it out!)

Ask me this question in 10 years, when my old man hands cannot grip the slide on a CZ strongly enough to rack it back, and I'll tell you the Wilson Model 92G is the one for me. The slide is much easier to grab and rack open.

Bart Noir
Old February 26, 2018, 04:38 PM   #60
Nacho Man

After owning both and a browning hi power,
they're all great but have their faults imo.

Beretta 92 FS Compact, overall fit n finish was excellent in my US made gun.
Talk about a short reset in single action. Chrome lined barrel, accuracy was excellent and recoil felt mild. Things I didn't like, weird locking block design, exposed barrel for debris, no dovetail on the front sight.

CZ75B, fit n finish was fine except inside of the slide looked pretty rough alot a machine marks looked sloppy.
Cold hammer forged barrel and trigger was decent. I thought the 92 trigger was better. No decocker but dont mind carrying cocked n locked but safety felt mushy.

BHP, absolutely beautiful gun and fit n finish was excellent. Sights were great, and accuracy was fantastic. Bad, one of the worst triggers ive felt about 8-9 lbs gritty from that mag disconnect plunger. Very heavy mainspring and mag disconnect kills it more. For the money rather have a nice Colt Competition 70's in 9mm.

Since the Beretta is going for about $500 nib at lgs thats gonna be my vote. Alot of aftermarket and plenty of parts.
Old February 26, 2018, 05:32 PM   #61
Guv

Skoda vs Ferrari?
Old February 26, 2018, 08:11 PM   #62
TJB101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Noir View Post
TJB, I believe this is your first time posting here on The Firing Line. Welcome!

As a guy who owns multiple versions of both the CZ-75 and the Model 92, I also say I would be hard pressed to choose a favorite, if I had to pick one and only one.

Right now, I think I'd prefer the SP-01 Phantom from CZ. Think CZ-75 slide on a plastic frame, with the decocker version of the trigger parts. I know this doesn't meet your need for a metal frame. (But check it out!)

Ask me this question in 10 years, when my old man hands cannot grip the slide on a CZ strongly enough to rack it back, and I'll tell you the Wilson Model 92G is the one for me. The slide is much easier to grab and rack open.

Bart Noir
Thanks Bart and everyone else for the ongoing replies and feedback. its much appreciated to be be able to tap the knowledge of such a vast resource of user experiences. Digging deeper into models after my return from a west coast trip next week.
Old February 26, 2018, 08:27 PM   #63
glockman55

I just picked up the CZ75 B... 4.25" barrel.. I'm new to CZ but Wow is all I can say about this Pistol..Attachment 107026

Last edited by glockman55; October 16, 2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old February 26, 2018, 10:59 PM   #64
scoobysnacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateKirk View Post
I wanted a steel frame 9mm under $1000, so it was pretty much just between the 92 and the CZ.
I've seen people mention this several times, so I thought I'd clarify (if someone else has already spoken up, sorry about that):

You are not going to find a steel framed Beretta under a thousand dollars, I don't think.
The Beretta that you know is an aluminum alloy frame. A steel frame would be something like the Billennium, it is single action only, it weighs 48 oz, it has a frame safety. It costs a bunch to buy one.

Same thing applies, btw, with Sig. Alloy frames on the P series, until you get to some serious cash.

If you are looking for a new DA/SA garden-variety fullsize pistol with a steel frame, I think CZ (and clones thereof) are the only game in town.

I own a number of fullsize guns, and my pre B CZ 75 is my favorite.

Of the steel frames I own in DA/SA in 9mm Parabellum, I think I have
CZ 75 (still produced)
Star 30MI (company folded years ago)
PHP MV9 (company exists, but only makes polymer frames- the XD)
I don't have a steel frame 3rd Gen S&W, but they are out there. Not really produced or supported anymore, occasionally you can find a NIB somewhere.
Old February 27, 2018, 06:52 AM   #65
tallball

Yeah, the Berettta is big and not light, but it's also not a steel frame. I tried to mention that a time or two, but was having trouble logging in.
Old February 27, 2018, 07:38 AM   #66
glockman55

Beretta 84FS Cheetah.. in .380.. all stainless..13+1...Attachment 107027

Last edited by glockman55; October 16, 2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old February 27, 2018, 07:43 AM   #67
joeb

I've handled 92's but never owned one. Like them a lot though. I've been absolutely in love with the 75B I bought six years ago. Fired about 200rnds. through it before employing it for looking and fondling. I find the Czechs made something which looks and works flawlessly that I somehow am compelled to hoard away for me only. If I were to find fault it would be the two miles of take up when pulling the trigger on DA, but I'm not going to complain.
Old February 27, 2018, 02:38 PM   #68
Bart Noir

Oh, steel frame, didn't notice that he wanted steel. Not so many choices.

I did handle a couple of smallish 9mm Desert Eagle last weekend. They are made by Israeli Weapons Industries and are also called the Jericho, I think. One was all stainless steel.

These are basically CZ-75 knock-offs with a safety lever on the slide, instead of frame. I have no idea what the trigger pull is like.

And EAA sells a bunch of Witness models, which are CZ75 knock-offs made in Italy. I think some models have steel frames. Well, I know the 10mm Witness does but don't know about any 9mm models.

Bart Noir
Old February 27, 2018, 02:44 PM   #69
adamBomb

If you want to be this cool, then get the beretta:

Old February 27, 2018, 08:34 PM   #70
wnycollector

Thanks sigarms228, you have me spending my tax refund on a Langdon M9
Old February 27, 2018, 09:12 PM   #71
lechiffre

They are equals.

Get the one that speaks to you.

do the interns get glocks ?
Old February 27, 2018, 09:41 PM   #72
sigarms228

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnycollector View Post
Thanks sigarms228, you have me spending my tax refund on a Langdon M9
It sure looks like a sweet pistol!
Old February 27, 2018, 11:03 PM   #73
saiga21308

cat women was hotter with a cz75
Old February 27, 2018, 11:14 PM   #74
saiga21308

the lines on the cz 75 are much sexer too
Old March 1, 2018, 11:08 AM   #75
IMightBeWrong

For me the CZ wins simply due to ergonomics. Otherwise I view them equally.