The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 20, 2013, 10:55 PM   #1
jlanier03

New Purchase Advice

Hello all - long time reader/consumer first time poster. I'm looking at purchasing a new rifle with primary usage being hunting; deer and hog in Texas. Caliber wise I'm pretty set on .270 Win, but as to which manufacture is where I'm stuck. Below are the rifles I'm looking at, any first hand knowledge or advice is appreciated.

I've held all of these below and stock wise my preference is wood. For those that come with synthetic stock I would be looking at replacing the stock.

Savage Axis ($280) - From what I see this is the lower level Savage, nothing fancy and no real upgrades available.

Savage 111 ($550) - Seems to be the most popular Savage model.

Tikka T3 ($550) - I've seen a few good reviews but haven't seen any available upgrades.

Howa 1500 w/ 3.5-10x44 Nikko Sterling Gameking scope ($600) - I've seen a lot of good reviews on the 1500s. I could get the 1500 for about $520 without this scope from another retailer.

Mossberg 4x4 ($519) - this is the fluted barrel, muzzle brake, and walnut stock. I've not seen to much on these but they look very nice.

Browning x-bolt ($700) - I've heard mixed reviews on these. I currently own a browning shotgun and love it (pheasant, dove, and geese hunting).
Old April 20, 2013, 11:14 PM   #2
Savage99

Go to a store that will let you handle the rifles and look at as many as you can.

It's not something to worry about too much. The rifle you get will work I expect, and you can always get another.

I favor guns made in the USA. I still have and use the Winchester I got new in 1957!

Look at the Ruger American. That's a good American company right there in New Hampshire.

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifle/models.html
Old April 20, 2013, 11:18 PM   #3
taylorce1

Welcome aboard, I love the .270 myself.

Out of your choices I'd go Savage 111, Tikka, and Howa w/o the scope. I'd go handle all three and find the one that fits you best. I'm not a big fan of the Axis or Mossberg rifles I just don't think you'll be doing yourself any favors by going that cheap on the rifle. I like the Browning as well but I don't think it's worth the extra money, when a $150 would go a long ways toward a good scope.
Old April 20, 2013, 11:22 PM   #4
wvscotsman

I currently own two Savage rifles. A model 93F in 22LR that is an absolute tack driver. At 25 yards it will shoot a ragged single hole all day. At 50 yards holds a very tight pattern. I love it.

I just in the last week bought a model 11 in 308. It is a VT model with heavy barrel. Have only fired it a few times. Went to the range today to work on breaking in the barrel. It was vicious wind and cold. That and I forgot my cleaning rod for break in.

I am super impressed with Savage rifles. I think the accutrigger is the best trigger on the market on a factory rifle under $1000.00. I have had one other Savage and I loved it also.

I would steer clear of the Axxis if you want to do much shooting. The bolt and the chamber area are very thin compared to the model 11. And as you noted, not much being made in aftermarket goodies. And in my mind no accutrigger is a deal breaker.

Mossbergs don't impress me at all. I have NOT fired one. Just don't like the feel.

No real experience with the others.
Old April 20, 2013, 11:42 PM   #5
Metal god

I have a Savage and I have a Ruger American . If you have the money get the Savage . If your looking to save a little money get a Ruger . Both rifles are sub MOA out of the box .

Here are some targets at 100 yards .

This first one is from the American

This next one is my savage

The savage will have a much better upgrade path . As of now the ruger has none , what you buy is what you get .

I've handled the mossberg and was not impressed . I have never used or even handled a Tikka but have heard nothing but good things about them .

The 270 is a great all purpose round and a good choice .

Welcome to TFL and good luck

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old April 20, 2013, 11:50 PM   #6
boosteddc5

What about a browning a-bolt? Can be had for about 550 give or take. Similar to the x-bolt and is definitely an awesome gun. And im surprised you didnt mention the remington 700 sps. About 550-600 also. I dont own one but from using friends rifles, im about to purchase a varmint model in 308 for myself. And as someone said the ruger american is also a great gun for the money. Only about 350 which leaves you plenty of money for other things. Good luck with your decision!
Old April 20, 2013, 11:59 PM   #7
jlanier03

I have looked at the Rugers but I'm not a fan of the synthetic stocks, and there doesn't seem to be any after market stocks for this. Of the list I'm leaning more towards the Savage 111 or Howa 1500, both felt good and seem to have smooth bolt action. Of these two are there any advantages of one over the other?

The a bolt, I just haven't seen any around. But looking online at cabelas looks like they are running $800.
Old April 21, 2013, 12:07 AM   #8
mattL46

A friend of mine has a tikka in 270. I happen to be quite partial to it. I'm a sako fan though also. The bolt travels super slick and I love the feel. Nice wood for the money. Its not a super deluxe job but attractive. As far as upgrades I'm not sure what is offered. If I had the money I'd go buy one tomorrow!!
Old April 21, 2013, 12:53 AM   #9
boosteddc5

The a-bolt is priced at 550 with a synthetic stock which isn't what youre looking for so i guess thats out.