The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old March 16, 2018, 08:49 AM   #1
res45

New Mold in Town

As an annual gift to myself around tax time I purchase myself a new mold of better quality to replace some of my older Lee molds that I have had for many years. The new mold is a Arsenal 4 cavity 170 gr. .311" Ranch Dog clone that I had cut 50/50 two with gas checks and two plain base bullets for plinker loads since I don't use a gas checks for those anyways. I really like the nice large meplat as it will make a great hunting bullet, can't wait till next weekend to cast up a bunch. Should keep my Sav. 170 pump gun fed for years to come.

Old March 16, 2018, 01:05 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Looks like they copied the use of fly cutter toolmarks to serve as vents from Lee's 6-cavity mold design. It's effective. Let us know how the bullets come out.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 16, 2018, 01:53 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

Looks good.
I need to kick a few hundred more out of my NOE version (SC311-165-RF (RD)).

---

Quite a few companies use the fly cutter method, now. Lee, at least from what I have seen in my short time casting (coming up on only 10 years), was late to the party. (Lee used simple knurling prior to the current mold block design.)

Miha, Accurate, NOE, and at least half a dozen other companies have been fly cutting their vent lines for some time.
Old March 16, 2018, 02:01 PM   #4
res45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
Looks like they copied the use of fly cutter toolmarks to serve as vents from Lee's 6-cavity mold design. It's effective. Let us know how the bullets come out.
From all that I hear everyone that uses the Arsenal molds has liked them. It's my first one and it will get broken in new weekend for sure and I will report back.
Old March 31, 2018, 10:30 AM   #5
res45

Cast up a little over 300 bullets yesterday, around 150 each of the plain base and gas check version of the bullet. They drop .312" from the mold and will be sized to .311" I plan on powder coating the plain base bullets for my plinking and small game loads and gas checking and using traditional lube or PC for my full house loads in the 30-30.

While I was at it I cast up a small batch about 150 of my NOE 220 gr. cup point bullet that I will be powder coating in clear gloss for loading in some nickel 45 ACP cases I recently acquired for long term storage.

I got 150 of the plain base bullets PC today, will size them tomorrow and load up a batch to shoot next Saturday.

Last edited by res45; March 31, 2018 at 07:31 PM.
Old April 1, 2018, 03:11 AM   #6
Beagle333

Nice looking bullets! Have fun shooting those!
Have a Colt and a smile.