The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 10, 2018, 10:04 PM   #26
jr24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
The P99AS and sub-compact P99cAS (one of the most compact 9x19mm DA/SA pistols I can think of currently in production) lack an external hammer, but they have a visible and tactile cocked striker indicator that will project from the rear of the slide if the striker is cocked or the trigger is pulled in double action mode.
The P99 AS is, in my opinion, the best CCW DA/SA on the market. I've not shot the compact but I am blessed, apparently, with a build that does not need to go so small.

Still, I see no reason why the 99 compact wouldnt be fantastic as well.
Old September 11, 2018, 11:45 AM   #27
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
... Walther P99 - Lacks an external hammer
The modern P99 is a wonderful firearm in 9mm. It's relatively compact for a "full size" handgun and probably one of the easiest to carry concealed. The ergonomics were groundbreaking back in the day and I think they still hold up quite nicely in the current market. The overall form is low-snag and not having an external hammer is part of it. (Notice that the controls in general move within the plane of the firearm, which has some advantages.) If my memory is correct, there is a little striker indicator that protrudes from the back upon trigger pressure so you should still have some feedback when holstering.

Speaking of triggers, I really like the feel of the P99 AS when used as DA/SA. With the striker mechanism, it feels almost like my finger is smoothly drawing a bow in double action. The single action is actually nicer than the celebrated PPQ in my opinion. The reset is nice and short too.

Quote:
I've considered...

- Beretta PX4 seems to get good press, but 1.4" thick is a lot.
This is another gem but you're right, it is bigger. (Between that and the rotating barrel, it's actually one of the softest-shooting polymer options for .40 S&W.) If you really like the PX4, you can always get the low-profile kit from Beretta. It replaces those big, sharp, bat-wing safety levers with nice, nearly flush decockers. It also includes a low-profile slide release but believe me when I tell you this: those bat-wing safety levers are a major contributor to perceived width and chunkiness!

The premium compact carry edition comes with them pre-installed if you want to see the difference IRL. It's still relatively thick but soooooo much more streamlined. It makes the difference between "range toy" and "winter carry" in my opinion.
Old September 11, 2018, 12:25 PM   #28
Fishbed77

Quote:
The single action is actually nicer than the celebrated PPQ in my opinion.
There's no doubt that it's better. The feel and reset are pretty identical, except the P99AS's single action pull is about 1 lb. lighter.
Old September 11, 2018, 01:23 PM   #29
pblanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrawIII View Post
According to Sig’s website, the P250 and P2022 are both a beefy 1.4” thick, which is bigger than the CZ.

The Sphinx SDP is only slightly narrower than the Sigs at 1.37” and is heavier than the CZ at over 28oz.

Anything smaller?
My SIG P250 subcompact 9 mm has a small sized grip module, which is what the subcompact models usually came with. I also applied a Talon grip sleeve.

The slide is 1.06" wide as measured with a digital caliper. If you measure the point of maximum width across both ambidextrous slide stop levers the width is 1.28" at the thickest part of the levers. The width there is slightly more than the width measured across the take-down lever. But those levers are small in size and smoothly rounded in contour. In my opinion, their functional contribution to the perceived thickness of the pistol is negligible.

The grip frame is 1.1" in thickness at the thickest portion with the Talon grip sleeve.
Old September 11, 2018, 02:42 PM   #30
TheGunGeek

I carry a Beretta 85FS. It's a single stack .380 with all the reliability of the 92 series. It's very high quality, an accurate & excellent shooter, and can be easily concealed.

Edit: Sorry, ignore, just noticed you're not interested in .380.
Old September 11, 2018, 06:06 PM   #31
jackstrawIII

Cosmodragoon and others who have sung the praises of the Walther P99,

I'm right there with you. I really love the P99. We own several of them because they're my wife's favorite pistols and I really enjoy them too. If it only had a hammer, there would be no need for any other pistols (that's an exaggeration. There's always a need for more pistols. But you get the point).

Looks like I need to check out the Sig P250 and the Sphinx. If only that Beretta was narrower...
Old September 18, 2018, 07:40 PM   #32
Troy800

Sig p225A1
Old September 18, 2018, 07:44 PM   #33
HighValleyRanch

^^^^^^
didn't the OP already say it's too big?
Quote:
Ps. The those that recommend the Sig P225, I looked at it before and wish it was just a bit smaller and lighter. It's a beautiful firearm.
Old September 19, 2018, 05:39 AM   #34
OhioGuy

Based on everything posted, it seems the XD-E is the closest or only thing that fits the bill. DA/SA with exposed hammer, reasonably compact and slim, 9mm.

Are the words "Grip Zone" the deal breaker? If this is a carry gun, it's either concealed or in your hand, so you won't be seeing the grip....

Thankfully Springfield has dropped the words from the new Mod 2 version of the XDS.

Otherwise honestly I think a Glock 43 with the"Gadget" is your best choice. Will conceal better than XDE with its shorter grip and lighter weight (also smaller capacity in standard magazine), but it doesn't have the trigger action you prefer.

Have you shot the XDE? I thought it was a pretty competent gun.
Old September 19, 2018, 07:05 AM   #35
dean1818

I went through the EXACT run

I loved my P229...... But for me, it was a pain as I had to get a two clip, pancake holster. It was "doable" but man..... A little too much IMHO

In all I tried P229, P226, CZ75, Bersa UC40, then I went lighter and smaller..... CM9, K40, LCR38,

I ended up with a carry rotation of

M&P40C (Favorite)
M&P Shield in 40
LCR38 - For those days that its pocket only
Taurus G2 - Car gun

I dropped from DA/SA guns completely

Love them.... but they just dont fit the CCW world IMHO --- FOR ME

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old September 19, 2018, 09:13 AM   #36
jackstrawIII

Quote:
Have you shot the XDE? I thought it was a pretty competent gun.
I'll admit that I have not. I'm sort of anti Springfield XD series... not sure why. I'm just not that interested in them. With that said, if I had the chance to shoot the XD-E I would do it. The ability to rent guns to try them out is very limited where I live unfortunately, so I'd have to buy it to try it.

Looking like the Glock gadget might be the best solution here... which kinda stinks. I really love DA/SA. Or maybe a Rami and have CGW work on the trigger.
Old September 19, 2018, 09:17 AM   #37
HighValleyRanch

Is the Rami very thin? It doesn't look like it, but I've neve handled one.
Old September 19, 2018, 09:22 AM   #38
jackstrawIII

Quote:
Is the Rami very thin? It doesn't look like it, but I've neve handled one.
By the numbers it's fairly thin: 1.25" and it's significantly lighter than some other guns in that class: 25.9oz. But the one time I handled one it did seem a bit bigger than the numbers due to the large-ish controls on the gun.

The Sig P225 really is a sweet looking gun and I'm sure it shoots well, but it's a solid 4-5oz heavier, and has a lower capacity.
Old September 19, 2018, 09:25 AM   #39
wscrst

I offer another vote for the SW 3913. I bought mine used but consider it my most reliable handgun. It has never flinched. Enjoy.
Old September 19, 2018, 09:32 AM   #40
adamBomb

Px4. I swear I hear more good things about this gun from friends, family, internet/press, etc than most other guns. This is on my list as my next carry gun.
Old September 19, 2018, 05:52 PM   #41
OhioGuy

RAMI is a chunky little sucker. Nice shooter but fat, much like PX4 subcompact.

I had an XD for quite a while. Reliable as hell.

Not a big Glock 43 fan. My usual carry is a Walther PPS M2 with LaserGuard. But I carry my P-07 whenever I can.
Old September 19, 2018, 07:10 PM   #42
jr24

Quote:
I loved my P229...... But for me, it was a pain as I had to get a two clip, pancake holster. It was "doable" but man..... A little too much IMHO
Interesting, was this because the gun was too heavy for your belt? If so, you may have been able to save money with a better belt. I routinely have carried 1911s, a 229 and now a 226 in a Vedder Light Tuck and a RDR instructor type belt with no issues.

Then again if you've found what works for you, it's all good.
Old September 19, 2018, 07:13 PM   #43
HighValleyRanch

Numbers don't tell all. My K40 is .9 inches wide, and the Sig 230 SL is advertised as 1.1, but the Sig is way thinner by comparison in real life, as the slide is tapered at the top, but the Kahr is more square like a glock.
Old September 20, 2018, 10:18 AM   #44
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrawIII:
I really love the P99. We own several of them because they're my wife's favorite pistols and I really enjoy them too. If it only had a hammer
OP, it doesn’t need a hammer, the cocking indicator on the back of the slide tells you if it’s in SA or DA mode. If it’s in SA, you decock it to carry it, and it’s darn near perfectly safe to carry it decocked. Once you practice with it and get accustomed to the manual of arms, that P99 AS variant really will work for just about anything you want to use it for, there’s nothing else like it.

Last edited by JDBerg; September 20, 2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old September 20, 2018, 10:31 AM   #45
cw308

Walther PPK/S in 380
Old September 20, 2018, 02:56 PM   #46
aarondhgraham

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Bersa,,,

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned a Bersa handgun,,,
Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact Pro series.

I have one and it's a very nice handgun,,,
I've heard people call it a poor man's RAMI.

I have two friends who own RAMIs and to tell the truth,,,
I think the Bersa is a much nicer handgun.

Mine is the 13 round 9mm version,,,
One can also buy 10 round mags if needed.

The gun is not skinny so to speak,,,
But it is very ergonomic and nestles very well into my palm.

For you lefties out there,,,
The controls are fully ambidextrous.

I'm not saying it's the finest 9mm out there,,,
But you would be doing yourself a favor to at least handle one.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 20, 2018, 02:58 PM   #47
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
I'll admit that I have not. I'm sort of anti Springfield XD series... not sure why. I'm just not that interested in them.
I've looked at them and they seem "okay" bordering on "meh". Not really standing out as good or bad, I can see how the "grip zone" stamp ends up a deciding factor for some people.

John Correia of Active Self Protection gives a humorous but reasonable review of the XD here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PShoOEUjlGg

Quote:
Px4. I swear I hear more good things about this gun from friends, family, internet/press, etc than most other guns. This is on my list as my next carry gun.
The full-size is excellent. It feels good in hand (with the right back strap). It's a pussycat in 9mm and the softest-shooting polymer-framed gun I've tried in .40 S&W. The trigger is good right out of the box. The major complaint is with the bat-wing style safeties that stick way out, but those can be swapped for nearly flush-fitting decockers with a kit from Beretta. The fancy compact carry version comes with those installed (and some other stuff).

Speaking of, I've been waiting to get one of those in hand. I'm curious to see if the size reduction to compact is worth it. I know from the full-size that ditching those big safety and release levers goes a long way towards reducing perceived chunkiness. I'm not so sure about the sub-compact version though since it ditches the rotating barrel system that I've come to appreciate in the larger versions. If I ever get around to shooting one, I'll post about it.
Old September 20, 2018, 06:38 PM   #48
elde

Beretta PX4 Subcompact with a DSpring. SA/DA, hammer fired, decocker, 12 round mags.
Old September 20, 2018, 07:35 PM   #49
hammie

What is "EDC"? Thanks in advance.
Old September 20, 2018, 07:38 PM   #50
HighValleyRanch

EDC=Every Day Carry!

Tags
advice , ccw , da/sa , glock