The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 25, 2018, 08:04 PM   #1
LineStretcher

German Made Weatherby .257 Magnum Mark V

I went to the Big Reno Gun show today. I walked the entire show twice and found 4 257 Weatherby Mark V's. None of them were in great condition but all were good. 1 was the Japanese made version the other 3 were German made. It was then just a matter of haggling. They started at 2750.00 and all had glass but nothing I really wanted. Finally got one guy to pull the glass off, an old Leupold that was fogged and I got the rifle for 1100.00. It was one of the German's.

Weatherby rifles hold their value because you can send them back to Weatherby and they will restore them to like new and all I pay is the shipping. The guy I bought it from didn't seem to know that. The other three would barely move on their prices and made a point of telling me about the Weatherby policy.

Ammo is 90.00 a box of 20 and I stopped by Sportsman's Warehouse and picked up a couple of boxes. I'm ordering a set of Redding dies and I'll reload these 40 rounds until the cows come home. LOL

Update: After cleaning the barrel for over 2 hours, (soak, clean, repeat), I finally got all the copper out of it and the lands are crisp as the day they were cut. The stock looks like someone painted it with a paint brush and they did but that's factory and they lost a lot of sales because of it. I'll be refinishing it this winter when the snow is ass deep on the hunting grounds.

Last edited by LineStretcher; August 25, 2018 at 09:02 PM.
Old August 25, 2018, 08:12 PM   #2
FITASC

Nice! (And nice to know that Reno still has that gun show)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 25, 2018, 09:01 PM   #3
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
Nice! (And nice to know that Reno still has that gun show)
They do it in January and August. It's in the Reno Convention center now. Theres another smaller one too but I wasnt impressed.
Old August 25, 2018, 10:14 PM   #4
std7mag

Nice rifle!
The stock still looks better than Savages.
I've cleaned/ stripped them and a nice light stain shows some actual nice wood on the Savages.

Have been wanting a 257 WM for some time now.
Might have to get another cheap Savage 111 in 7mm Rem Mag and order a barrel from E.R. Shaw.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old August 25, 2018, 10:22 PM   #5
LineStretcher

Thanks, I was pretty happy to find it at this price. Have you ever looked at the muzzle velocity of this little .257 WM (6.5mm) round, 3600 fps is pretty impressive.

I almost feel like a vindicated reloader now. It's definitely far less expensive to reload for this gun than it is to buy. Still not going to pay for all the reloading equipment I have. LOL.

Last edited by LineStretcher; August 25, 2018 at 10:27 PM.
Old August 26, 2018, 06:43 AM   #6
Mobuck

Not ALL ammo is $90 for 20. You can buy Wby branded Norma ammo made in Sweden for $35-40 and occasionally over-run or blem ammo from Nosler for the same price. Even Nosler top end ammo isn't that much.
Old August 26, 2018, 06:44 AM   #7
Mobuck

"this little .257 WM (6.5mm) round,"

It's actually more like 6.35 mm.
Old August 26, 2018, 11:00 AM   #8
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck View Post
"this little .257 WM (6.5mm) round,"

It's actually more like 6.35 mm.
Are you in the UK? If so then that would be true but here in the US we convert directly from the bullets actual diameter. That would be 6.527
Old August 26, 2018, 12:09 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...Weatherby rifles hold their value because..." They don't hold value any better than any other commercial hunting rifle. Mind you, the German made rifles were made by Sauer until it got too expensive. Still doesn't mean they hold their value any more than any other rifle. Certainly not because you can send it back to Weatherby. Ruger does that.
Current MSRP for a Mk V is $2300. You can have a Sauer in .257 for $1,799.99 via Guns International.
"...more like 6.35mm..." Not using math. .257" converts to 6.5mm.
"...90.00 a box of 20..." Only Weatherby and No$ler brand run that kind of money. Both of which are over priced at the best of times. Hornady runs about $50 per 20. At Midway. Bit less at Graf's. 100 grains only Weatherby ammo runs $40 at Cabela's.
Old August 26, 2018, 12:14 PM   #10
RC20

Keep in mind that unless you do minimum shoulder bump back, those cases will last maybe 8 rounds.

Maybe less, have not reloaded any Weatherby stuff.
Old August 26, 2018, 12:23 PM   #11
LineStretcher

Quote:
"...Weatherby rifles hold their value because..." They don't hold value any better than any other commercial hunting rifle. Mind you, the German made rifles were made by Sauer until it got too expensive. Still doesn't mean they hold their value any more than any other rifle. Certainly not because you can send it back to Weatherby. Ruger does that.
Current MSRP for a Mk V is $2300. You can have a Sauer in .257 for $1,799.99 via Guns International.
"...more like 6.35mm..." Not using math. .257" converts to 6.5mm.
"...90.00 a box of 20..." Only Weatherby and No$ler brand run that kind of money. Both of which are over priced at the best of times. Hornady runs about $50 per 20. At Midway. Bit less at Graf's. 100 grains only Weatherby ammo runs $40 at Cabela's.

Humm, should I respond or not... Nah
Old August 26, 2018, 10:12 PM   #12
LineStretcher

Could not suffer another minute looking at the crappy finish on the stock. Sanded it down, stained it dark walnut and I'm putting 10 coats of Hellmans Clear Gloss Spar Polyurethane in the spray cans. This is after 3 coats. When I get to 5 coats it will dry for a week and the get sanded with 2000 grit. After the last coat is fully dried it will get sanded with 2000 again and then rubbed out.
Old August 27, 2018, 04:05 AM   #13
std7mag

Of course if i build a 257 WM, then i might want to build a 6.53 Scramjet...

I wonder if i could talk Lazzeroni into necking down the 7.21 Tomahawk???

Lightened up the tip some, but i like it!! Keep it up!

Old August 27, 2018, 10:06 AM   #14
LineStretcher

So here's the before and after. The pics dont really do it justice or show the brush Mark's in the original finish. After it dries for a week or so I'll polish it out and turn the glossy finish into a deep shine.
Old August 27, 2018, 10:16 AM   #15
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
Of course if i build a 257 WM, then i might want to build a 6.53 Scramjet...

I wonder if i could talk Lazzeroni into necking down the 7.21 Tomahawk???

Lightened up the tip some, but i like it!! Keep it up!
What, 3600 fps isn't fast enough? LOL.. The rosewood tip had deep scratches in it and it was originally that way. They used a filler to try to cover them up. I uncovered them when I sanded off the finish. Rosewood is really hard so theres no way to sand the scratches out. I did the best I could and left it at that. If it ever gets stolen and recovered, I know right where to look to identify it. Gives it character. Hey. it's my story. LOL.
Old August 27, 2018, 07:39 PM   #16
Mobuck

"more like 6.35mm..." Not using math. .257" converts to 6.5mm."

Which would mean that a 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmore are .25 caliber?
Old August 27, 2018, 10:54 PM   #17
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck View Post
"more like 6.35mm..." Not using math. .257" converts to 6.5mm."

Which would mean that a 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmore are .25 caliber?
This is correct. The .257 bullet is 6.5 but the bore is 6.35. In the UK caliber is determined by bore size at the lands so this is where he's getting that number. I live in the USA so I'll go with what we use here. Sometimes Wikipedia confuses people.

Makes you think why bother with a Creedmore. The answer is simple. The creedmore does almost the same thing but in a smaller short action round that fits in a AR 10 chassis. The 25-06 is pretty close but true to Weatherby form, the .257 WM kicks its butt. They say Roy Weatherby once took a Cape Buffalo with a .257 WM. I think I'll stick to Antelope and the occasional Mule deer.

Last edited by LineStretcher; August 27, 2018 at 11:07 PM.
Old August 27, 2018, 11:00 PM   #18
LineStretcher

The refinish job started to wrinkle in a few spots so I stripped it again. It wrinkled because I didnt let the stain completely dry. 2hrs just wasnt enough. Most of the stain came off with denatured alcohol which surprised me. The rest took a lot of work. Pain in the butt. I got in a hurry and I should have known better.
Old August 28, 2018, 05:28 AM   #19
eastbank

I have a Japanese MK 5 weatherby in .300 wby, with they refinish the wood&metal on it free?
Old August 28, 2018, 10:59 AM   #20
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineStretcher View Post
So here's the before and after. The pics dont really do it justice or show the brush Mark's in the original finish. After it dries for a week or so I'll polish it out and turn the glossy finish into a deep shine.
Boy that looks a lot better! Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but weren't those German Weatherby's made by J.P. Sauer? In the early 70's Sauer did a rifle for colt. It was a beauty!
Old August 28, 2018, 11:43 AM   #21
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Huh. I didn't know about Sauer. I bought a German-made Mark V in 1971. I guess I was buying the design moreso than the name, though. Many years of sub-MOA.
Old August 28, 2018, 11:44 AM   #22
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
Boy that looks a lot better! Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but weren't those German Weatherby's made by J.P. Sauer? In the early 70's Sauer did a rifle for colt. It was a beauty!
Yes Don, J.P. Sauer did make this one but I'm not sure about how much of it they actually made. I think they were in Belgium when Belgium companies were trying to prove their manufacturing abilities. Weatherby switched to Howa in Japan when the Sauer costs got to be too much. I've asked Weatherby for the history on this rifle but haven't heard back yet. Everything I just said is from online research so it may not be 100 pct correct.
Old August 28, 2018, 11:46 AM   #23
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbank View Post
I have a Japanese MK 5 weatherby in .300 wby, with they refinish the wood&metal on it free?
You would need to call them. I am under the impression that they will but dont really know for sure.
Old August 28, 2018, 02:22 PM   #24
LineStretcher

This is more what I was after with the first re finish job. It's a little darker than the original but not so dark as to mask the tiger stripes. I just put the last of 10 coats of finish on it and now it will cure for 72 hours.
Old August 28, 2018, 03:23 PM   #25
std7mag

Drool........