The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 25, 2018, 04:38 AM   #1
rebs

Savage 12 FV ?

Does anyone have the Savage 12 FV from Cabelas in either 223 or 6.5 Creedmoor ? Can you tell me the details on it ? Such quality, Reliability and accuracy ?
Old August 25, 2018, 05:47 AM   #2
jpx2rk

I have a FV12 in 223 & 204R. They are not a "pretty" gun in terms of appearance, black tupperware stock that most people hate, black action & barrel, natural colored bolt with the savage logo on it. Don't borescope the barrels, very depressing and you will wonder if it will even be on paper. Most replace the stock with aftermarket preferences. Bolt smooths out with use. I like the trigger. The gun is barrel/muzzle heavy, not a walk about gun IMO, but a good one for the bench.

Both of mine shoot sub MOA at 100 with hand loads on a almost boring basis, with the tupperware stock so I'm having a bit of trouble in moving to anything else.

Check out savageshooters.com for lots of comments, etc.
Old August 25, 2018, 09:13 AM   #3
2ndtimer

Solid Bang for the Buck

I bought one for my son chambered in .308 Winchester (before they were available in 6.5 Creedmoor). His is very accurate with 175 gr Nosler Custom Competition handloads. He regularly rings steel with it out past 800 yards. The 26" barrel provides a boost in ballistics, but you probably won't enjoy hiking around with it. Great on the bench.
Catch it on sale, and you won't find anything close, accuracy-wise for the price.
Old August 25, 2018, 01:23 PM   #4
Erno86

I have a Model 12 AccuTrigger single shot in 223 (1/4" moa 3 shot group), using remanufactured Black Hills, 69 grain Sierra HP MatchKings.

I highly recommend the single shot, that is...if they still make them.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_12series_rifles.htm

--- George Orwell
Old August 25, 2018, 06:59 PM   #5
Saltydog235

Bought one, dropped it in a B&C stock and put a Timney in it. Never shot it, too heavy to be practical, too ugly to be seen in public with and I made money on it.
Old August 25, 2018, 07:25 PM   #6
Steve in PA

I’ve owned a .223 Savage 12FV for several years. I replaced the factory stock which had some flex in it. The rifle is scary accurate. No issues with the accu-trigger.

It will shoot better that 1/2” groups at 100 yards with handloaded 55gr Vmax bullets.....all day! I’ve even put three rounds of 75gr BTHP in one large hole had 100 yards. I was working on the load and could only see one hole. I figured the load sucked. But, when I walked down to look at the target, I was amazed!

The long, heavy barrel does not lend itself to make the rifle likely to be carried a long way, but it you want an accurate rifle, the 12FV fits that bill!
Old August 26, 2018, 06:55 AM   #7
Scoits

Have a 204R —like all above —ugly—heavy—shoots like a dream with 32gr vmax. Cant wait to use it on a dog town!!
Old August 26, 2018, 07:04 AM   #8
Bfglowkey

Put one chambered in 308 in a Boyd's thumbhole and pillar bedded it. Pet load took 2 trips to the range ..168 SMK or Horn HPBTs in Winchester brass, S&B primers from Cabela's all pushed by 43.0 of Varget.....2750 velocity and it's a scary fun rifle to shoot. Put a Athlon Argos BTR 6x24x50 with Mil tree reticle ...final tally was $912. I am waiting for rebate / sale again and the 223 is next....
Old August 26, 2018, 12:25 PM   #9
RC20

I have one in a 308.

As noted, barrel is a bit long for hunting.

The receiver is standard Savage with is solid.

Acu Trigger is very good and adjustable for target or hunting.

I put a different barrel on it, probably have 2-3000 rounds through it. Receiver is going just fine. Barell will get replaced when it goes .

I to put it in a Boyds TH stock (I have another one in the featherweight TH and I like that stock better for target shooting). Both Bloyds type are easily opened up to the required diameter (you may be able to order it with the bull barrel opening option)

Boyds fit is so good I did not bother to have it bedded. A little bit off the rear tank area and its solid even contact.
Old August 26, 2018, 01:25 PM   #10
Bfglowkey

I put the pillars in after a month of shooting it without. I agree it wasn't necessary. Shoots almost identical. I enjoyed the experience for when there comes a time when I need to pillar bed.
Old August 26, 2018, 03:14 PM   #11
RC20

Good to get confirmation. My brother bedded a non Boyds TH for me as it was truly awful.

I don't know it helped, but if it is bad its a sure fired way (done right which is why my brother did it!) to ensure its not an issue.
Old August 27, 2018, 01:53 PM   #12
std7mag

I got my wife a Savage 110FP. Predecessor to the 12FV, VT.

As was already said, sub MOA with boring regularity.
I'm using LC brass, CCI primers, Alliant Power Pro 2000, and 69gr. MatchKings.

Rifle is not bedded, and doesn't have pillars, yet....

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...